I saw the Robb Flynn signature guitar, sounds like it's marketed at guitarists like me (in terms of the age bracketing thing he said in the video). It got me wondering, what's the difference in terms of playability and sound (and those kinds of guitary things) between a baritone guitar and a regular electric? Any pros and cons between the two?
Baritone guitars are tuned lower. For bands like Machine Head it will be great, but you won't be able to play songs in standard E tuning.
The neck is a bit different since the scale is longer. I would suggest you try one out first and try a seven string too, see what feels better to you as far as comfort. I was going for baritones some years ago but it felt harder to adapt than adding an extra string in the mix. So give it a shot, though that Flynn one looks like it's quite a good deal especially now that ESP isn't making baritones anymore.
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
Get an Agile Pendulum 62527 or 72527 and get the best of both baritone and standard scales.
i like them more, the baritone scale length that ibanez and schecter do (26.5") feels great. Never played a 27" guitar tho
Quote by emil_sej
Baritone guitars are tuned lower. For bands like Machine Head it will be great, but you won't be able to play songs in standard E tuning.

I've got a starter guitar and I'm branching off to a new, better quality one, my plan was to have the other one set up to play in Drop D, C and Standard (and whatever half steps and that come about) and have a second guitar with heavier strings for lower tunings.

Quote by SylKain
The neck is a bit different since the scale is longer. I would suggest you try one out first and try a seven string too, see what feels better to you as far as comfort. I was going for baritones some years ago but it felt harder to adapt than adding an extra string in the mix. So give it a shot, though that Flynn one looks like it's quite a good deal especially now that ESP isn't making baritones anymore.

Yeah, I've been tossing up a seven string too. That Flynn one looks amazing though, I've never really been that keen on Flying V's, but it looks awesome, and it doesn't appear to have a tremolo system, which I'm not that fussed about, especially FR's.

Basically, I'm tossing up between:

- The Robb Flynn one (depending on price and availability)
- A Schecter Hellraiser (6 or 7 string, ebay prices ftw!)
- An Agile 7-string of some kind.
- There's a tiny chance I'll go for an Ibanez if I can find one I like the look of.

The Hellraiser 6-string's probably the leader at the mo, but they're all a different kinda guitar, so I dunno. Must win lottery!
Quote by staceap
what's the difference in terms of playability and sound…between a baritone guitar and a regular electric? Any pros and cons between the two?

A baritone allows you to play in low tunings (A–C) with normal tension and relatively light strings. For example, my baritone with .013–.062 gives me the same tone I would get from a 24.75" guitar with something like .016–.080 strings. And it does it with tension comparable to .10 strings on a 24.75". On the downside, it makes it harder to stretch your hands out for complex chords, but most people are not using a baritone for jazz.