Oi Guys,

To the teachers around:

When someone is alternate picking but on some almost unnoticable part economy picking and its not causing any harm, would you correct him ?

When it comes ot me the answer in the past was always simple: if i found myself doing this and i wanted to only alternate pick then i went back and corrected it, no matter how long it took, i never noticed any difference except i knew i was alternate picking everything and it felt "right" but thats just because im kind of strict with myself.

Anyways: i dont have enough experience to say if it will make a huge difference on the long run and some guitarist asked me the other day: so i dont wanna be a douche and make someone correct it if they are doing ok with it.
My answer to any such dilemma is always: practice both. Am i steering him in the right way?

Thanks
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 3, 2011,
I'm not a teacher, so I can only give my humble opinion on this, but I think it's best to be consistent. That doesn't mean ONLY do alternate or ONLY do economy - it means know exactly when you're doing what, have a subconscious method which decides which of the techniques to use.

If you pick a bit randomly, as in if you're alternate picking then for no particular reason change to economy, it's going to make it very difficult to learn new material properly because occasionally your brain might try to economy a bit it doesn't usually, or alternate a bit it doesn't usually. Sometimes it's sensible to mix both, and so long as there's method to it, it's fine, but randomly switching between the two is bad for consistency and makes it difficult to learn things.
Quote by llBlackenedll
I'm not a teacher, so I can only give my humble opinion on this, but I think it's best to be consistent. That doesn't mean ONLY do alternate or ONLY do economy - it means know exactly when you're doing what, have a subconscious method which decides which of the techniques to use.

That's basically what I always go for, using both as situation dictates is perfectly fine as long you know what you're doing, many great players have done similar and achieved incredible results.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sounds perfectly fine to me
your humble opinion is actually a great explanation Blackened. (gonna steal it)

Thanks for the Input guys