Ive spilled soft drink in it. its emitting a buzzing sound. its a blackstar ht5. i think the inside is wet. what can i do to try and fix it???
This exact thread happened a few months ago. Was it mountain dew?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Well regardless, do you feel comfortable opening up the amp?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Id say wap a hairdryer out to dry it up asap and then take it apart to clean off the sticky residue
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
It needs to be pulled apart and cleaned. If you don't know how to discharge the filter capacitors take it to somebody that does. Cleaning it is pretty easy but you have to discharge the caps beforehand or you'll electrocute yourself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, you switched it on which was your downfall.

If you had of left it off, unplugged it, cleaned the residue and let it sit for a few days it would have a better chance.

Try that anyway, but switching it on means the damage has already been done cause something shorted on the liquid...
Quote by beckyjc

If you had of left it off, unplugged it, cleaned the residue and let it sit for a few days it would have a better chance.

Try that anyway, but switching it on means the damage has already been done cause something shorted on the liquid...

yeah thanks for nothing. and it is 'had've'.

--------

so theres no way i could turn it on and let it dry off ?
Yeah, if the HT shorted to the op-amps you've probably blown them. Chances are that a good clean will fix it though. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to have done permanent damage.
Just take heed of my previous warning.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by blooddrunk

The last thing you want to do right now is turn it on. It needs to dry out while OFF, and then cleaned out.

And don't be rude to people who are trying to help you. You're the one who spilled soda into your amp and then decided to turn it on before cleaning it.
Quote by blooddrunk

What? You just made up a word and I'm not sure what it has to do with anything.
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, if the HT shorted to the op-amps you've probably blown them. Chances are that a good clean will fix it though. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to have done permanent damage.
Just take heed of my previous warning.

how do i clean it without blowing myself up when i next turn the thing on ?
Excuse me?

That was for future reference.

Dont be an asshole.

I told you to try it anyway.

Dont be attempting to correct my grammar when you're the genius spilling monster on his amp.

^Depends on where its been spilt... I'm guessing the filter caps are radials, so providing you avoid touching/getting them wet AT ALL, you should be kinda safe to clean it with a lightly dampened cloth just to get any of the residue off the pcb, you'll have to be carefull, make sure you know what you're looking at.

You should really you should drain the caps though. Or find someone who knows some electronics if you dont have any idea. Dry it with a dry cloth obv, but use one that isnt going to leave bits of fibre all over the place.
Quote by blooddrunk

--------

I wouldn't talk to moderator that way. Besides, she gave good advice. Don't be a prick. You came crying to GGnA because YOU did something stupid. If I had've ( ) been a mod I would ban you. Now GTFO our lawn

ie - take it to a tech
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 3, 2011,
Quote by phoenix_crush
What? You just made up a word and I'm not sure what it has to do with anything.

to be fair, he is right (the grammar, i mean).

That being said, as everyone else pointed out, he's the eejit who spilt juice into his amp and came here asking for help... probably not a good idea to piss off a mod who's trying to help
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by blooddrunk

being a douche to people who try to help you is one thing, but creating entirely new words is just ridiculous. i came to help, but instead, ill just call you a douche a few times.

Youre a douche.

You are a douche.

You, sir, are a douche.
I'd never use "had have".

That just sounds wrong to me.

Since had is the past tense of have. Its just the same thing twice.

Like I should banned ban blooddrunk.

Wouldn't just "if you had turned the amp off" be more correct?

Im not a grammar student, I'm just kinda high.
Quote by beckyjc
(a) I'd never use "had have".

That just sounds wrong to me.

(b) Since had is the past tense of have. Its just the same thing twice.

Like I should banned ban blooddrunk.

(c) Wouldn't just "if you had turned the amp off" be more correct?

(d) Im not a grammar student, I'm just kinda high.

(a) it's still right

(b) pluperfect, i think. Or at least, I can't quite think of the proper name for "should have" or "had have", but certainly the pluperfect is a tense in english (along with other languages), and the basic gist is almost, as you said, of the past happening twice- something which had already happened at the time of another past event, kind of thing.

(c) not more correct, but equally correct- you could use that instead. "Had you turned the amp off" would be good, too.

The basic way to look at it is, any time you find yourself saying "should of" or something like that, it should be "should have" (or "should've").

(d) hehe

Don't get me wrong- I agree he shouldn't have jumped on you when you were trying to help. I'm just arguing with the people acting like his grammar must be wrong because he's being a bit of a dick.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hello,
After carefully reviewing the information presented in this thread it is my expert opinion that you have in fact destroyed your amp.
Good day.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by beckyjc

I wouldnt have turned it on if i knew it was buggered. White knights please go out and get real girlfriends instead of kissing up to mods. i asked a question, i dont need your troll bullcrap. Christ this forum has gone downhill.
Quote by blooddrunk
I wouldnt have turned it on if i knew it was buggered. White knights please go out and get real girlfriends instead of kissing up to mods. i asked a question, i dont need your troll bullcrap. Christ this forum has gone downhill.

Dear Sir or Madame,
No one can help you now.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb