My band has been trying to decide on some songs to cover for quite some time now, and it's been straight hell...Myself (Lead Guitarist) and the Singer very much want to do stuff like Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Avenged Sevenfold, etc, but our drummer has no double bass and plays mostly Classic Metal/Thrash Metal similar to: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, etc. Our bassist, however, can play pretty much anything on bass, and refuses to do boring bass parts that will put him to sleep. Our second guitarist is a self-proclaimed Blues guitarist, but we're doing our best to metallize him (it's a pain in the ****ing ass, too) so the songs can't be terribly demanding guitar wise.

Keeping all of this in mind, could you guys suggest us some songs to cover? We want stuff that plenty of people will recognize, including people of multiple generations.

Songs we're already planning on covering:
Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
NIB - Black Sabbath
Would? - Alice In Chains
Thunder Kiss '65 - Rob Zombie/White Zombie
Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N Roses
Heavy - Collective Soul

The rest of the band have said that they don't want to add any more Ozzy songs, but just about anything else is free game, so let the suggestions roll, keeping the following in mind:

NO Double Bass
Interesting enough bass part
Challenging guitar part, but nothing too ridiculous
Vocals similar to the songs above or artists mentioned anywhere above (note that he's not singing Welcome to the Jungle like Axl, but in his own style...it's too high for him for sure)

Thanks ahead of time
Some guitarists that play the Blues are immense.

Regardless, Gay Bar - Electric Six.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
you and your singer should get better taste in music, TS.

you should play Frantic Disembowelment. doesn't need double bass (what kind of ****ing metal drummer doesn't have a double bass pedal?), the guitar parts aren't too hard, and the bass parts are interesting enough. you might have to transpose up a bit though, since i doubt you'll want to detune down to Bb standard. maybe try some Electric Wizard too.

actually, now that i think about it, play Peace Sells by Megadeth.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Nov 3, 2011,
Scar Symmetry's "The Iconoclast" can be pretty believable if only using one pedal.

^^Also, for a second I thought you meant double bass as in one of these >.>
Proud user of Apple hardware!
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Don't start, or I'll logic you right in the thyroid.
Quote by padgea7x

This. The riff is immense.
Quote by Blktiger0

NO Double Bass

Well there goes all my suggestions.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
This. The riff is immense.

And it's fun to dance along to!

....no?

Quote by padgea7x
And it's fun to dance along to!

....no?

Oh yes. I do love myself a bit of Gaybraham Lincoln
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Oh yes. I do love myself a bit of Gaybraham Lincoln

Black Night by Deep Purple

Not too many younger people would recognize it though.
Quote by MangoStarr
Cover one of your own songs!

We only have 4 originals complete at the moment, and plan on working the rest in as we write more, but 4 songs aren't enough to fill a setlist, and we want enough songs so that we aren't playing the same setlist every gig.

Quote by padgea7x

I guess I did word that in a way that sounded negative towards blues guitarists, so let me rephrase:

Our second guitarist is not Metal-Oriented

We don't discourage blues, as that is disgusting. I love the blues and bluesy rock (I practically worship Stevie Ray, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Slash, Billy Gibbons, and Joe Perry) and I play a good amount of blues myself. The main problems with our second guitarist are: He can't play fast, He sucks at gallops, He can BARELY do Pinch Harmonics, and he can't EQ worth shit (especially if he's trying to EQ a metal tone). The poor kid wanted to upgrade to a Mesa Express 5:50 for god's sake, knowing he was in a Metal band at the time...luckily me trying to talk him into a dual or triple rec got him to buy a Rectoverb.

Quote by theogonia777

I'll have you take this up with our complaint department. Just submit it in writing and deposit in our complaint department drop box, which is, incidentally, the lit Zippo in my left hand.
inb4 I Cum Blood

On a serious note... Maybe Metallica's Hit the Lights? It's well known and James sings pretty high on the studio recording.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Enter Sandman's guitar parts aren't too hard
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
YYZ by Rush should keep your bassist awake and be challenging enough for the guitarists, but the singer may get quite bored...
Quote by Blktiger0
We only have 4 originals complete at the moment, and plan on working the rest in as we write more, but 4 songs aren't enough to fill a setlist, and we want enough songs so that we aren't playing the same setlist every gig.

I guess I did word that in a way that sounded negative towards blues guitarists, so let me rephrase:

Our second guitarist is not Metal-Oriented

We don't discourage blues, as that is disgusting. I love the blues and bluesy rock (I practically worship Stevie Ray, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Slash, Billy Gibbons, and Joe Perry) and I play a good amount of blues myself. The main problems with our second guitarist are: He can't play fast, He sucks at gallops, He can BARELY do Pinch Harmonics, and he can't EQ worth shit (especially if he's trying to EQ a metal tone). The poor kid wanted to upgrade to a Mesa Express 5:50 for god's sake, knowing he was in a Metal band at the time...luckily me trying to talk him into a dual or triple rec got him to buy a Rectoverb.

I'll have you take this up with our complaint department. Just submit it in writing and deposit in our complaint department drop box, which is, incidentally, the lit Zippo in my left hand.

Why do you need to do all the typical cliches? Let him have his own style.
Forsooth, mayhaps odes from Lords Motörhead woulde siut thee?
Ace of Spades
Damage Case
Stone Dead Forever
Overkill
Iron Fist

Many Iron Maiden odes may thee finde favorable (that not feature'th a "gallop")
Wrathchild
Where Eagles Dare
Hallowed be thy Name

Any hymn by Lords Manowar shall invigorate ye crowd
Blood of mine Enemies
Kill With Power
All Men Play on 10

Hath thee given consideration to Cliff'tallica hymns of a more mild pace?
For Whom ye Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Leper Messiah

Many Dio odes coulde fit thine metallic desires
Rainbow in ye Dark
Holy Diver
Last in Line

A most enjoyable, and heavy ode by Twisted Sister (recently cover'eth'd by Dimmu Borgir)
Burn in Hell

Mine response woulde be most incomplete if nary a mention of ye Allmighty Judas Priest
Hellion/Eletric Eye
Nightcrawler
Ye Sentinel
Thee Hath Another Thing Coming
Dissident Agressor

Additionally, investigate thee ye canon of Grand Magus, Clutch and Monster Magnet!

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
Quote by Ibanez734
Enter Sandman's guitar parts aren't too hard

We've considered this and other Metallica songs, and I don't remember WHY we aren't doing them, but it's probably something to do with the words "over-played" coming from the drummer's mouth.

Quote by Zoot Allures
Why do you need to do all the typical cliches? Let him have his own style.

He can have his own style, but his playing skill is not up to snuff and is holding back our guitar parts. When he can't play half the shit I write, it becomes a problem. If we were concerned about his style, he wouldn't have got past the audition.

Quote by hyperdistorted
YYZ by Rush should keep your bassist awake and be challenging enough for the guitarists, but the singer may get quite bored...

If our drummer could play that, I wouldn't be making this post. Also, the singer being bored is a huge problem.

Quote by Ye Black Knight
Forsooth, mayhaps odes from Lords Motörhead woulde siut thee?
Ace of Spades
Damage Case
Stone Dead Forever
Overkill
Iron Fist

Many Iron Maiden odes may thee finde favorable (that not feature'th a "gallop")
Wrathchild
Where Eagles Dare
Hallowed be thy Name

Any hymn by Lords Manowar shall invigorate ye crowd
Blood of mine Enemies
Kill With Power
All Men Play on 10

Hath thee given consideration to Cliff'tallica hymns of a more mild pace?
For Whom ye Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Leper Messiah

Many Dio odes coulde fit thine metallic desires
Rainbow in ye Dark
Holy Diver
Last in Line

A most enjoyable, and heavy ode by Twisted Sister (recently cover'eth'd by Dimmu Borgir)
Burn in Hell

Mine response woulde be most incomplete if nary a mention of ye Allmighty Judas Priest
Hellion/Eletric Eye
Nightcrawler
Ye Sentinel
Thee Hath Another Thing Coming
Dissident Agressor

Additionally, investigate thee ye canon of Grand Magus, Clutch and Monster Magnet!

This post now concludeth!

This, this, and more of this, new best friend. Seriously, you are awesome.
The Root of All Evil - Dream Theater

I'm pretty sure you can get away without a double kick in that one.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by theogonia777

you should play Frantic Disembowelment. doesn't need double bass (what kind of ****ing metal drummer doesn't have a double bass pedal?), the guitar parts aren't too hard, and the bass parts are interesting enough. you might have to transpose up a bit though, since i doubt you'll want to detune down to Bb standard. maybe try some Electric Wizard too.

actually, now that i think about it, play Peace Sells by Megadeth.

Pretty much this.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Cowboys From Hell-Pantera
Seek And Destroy-Metallica
Run To The Hills-Iron Maiden
For Whom The Bell Tolls-Metallica
Dream On-Aerosmith

Hope some of these help out
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Metallica - Fade To Black.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Don't play Crazy Train unless you want to make everyone in the audience vomit.

Play some Anthrax, brah.
you're a stone fox
Needs more The Clash, Tom Waits and Television.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash