Well i was planning out a SG build like a few days ago. i wanted to do some sick inlay and some how i just thought of makeing like a pickguard for it (the controls to) with stainless steel. (ya i know its hard to cut). what you guys think?? if youve done it post pics!!
A few show up if you run a google image search. Sounds like a pretty cool idea, and would look awesome if the guitar is painted right.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Stainless isn't really that hard to cut, with the right tools. Hell, just a scroll saw with a metal blade could cut the rough shape and then smooth the edges with a Dremel or just by hand sanding.

I thought you were getting a CNC? That would be able to cut stainless like nothing with a endmill, then you could follow the same tool path with a countersink to add a chamfer to the edge.
Quote by Wylde_Life
Stainless isn't really that hard to cut, with the right tools. Hell, just a scroll saw with a metal blade could cut the rough shape and then smooth the edges with a Dremel or just by hand sanding.

I thought you were getting a CNC? That would be able to cut stainless like nothing with a endmill, then you could follow the same tool path with a countersink to add a chamfer to the edge.

about the CNC, were thinking about it. if we got one it would be in a while. . . . but you would need the right bit which would cost around $5,000. . . .

Ill have to give it a try though.
I'd also recommend using a knife sharpening block. My friend gave me a $200 knife for $5 because the tip broke off and I reshaped that thing in about 2 hours. I also gave it a rounded blade that goes onto the top of knife. But you should use it to smooth the edges.
Also, I think there are some sites that make custom pickguards. I'd go with one of them.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
about the CNC, were thinking about it. if we got one it would be in a while. . . . but you would need the right bit which would cost around $5,000. . . .

Ill have to give it a try though.

The bit for making a pickguard would be $5000? No. A $10 endmill would be all you need.

But as you aren't getting the CNC right now, just use a scroll saw or any reciprocating saw and rough cut the outside and then use a dremel to clean up the outside, or hand sand the outside.
really?? where did u find that. whatever. im just planning now so if i ever do it ill post it. thanks for the help guys!!
A couple hundred bucks would be an expensive bit for us... which has a diamond cutting edge.

McMaster Carr Stainless Steel Bits , one of the best websites ever.

If I copy the url it won't load all the way - just click on stainless steel in the left column. And yeah stainless steel isn't really all that special when it comes to working with it. To me it's like the difference between working with something like ash vs. working with ipe.

Regardless, you can still do it with hand tools. Just be careful with the finish when working with it, it's not exactly something you can fix.
I made a couple of control plates for a jaguar-style electric uke a couple of years ago, just using an angle grinder and file. It really didn't take that long, but if you're running more than a couple off then you may want to consider the CNC or laser-cut route (most places charge bugger-all for a cut that small).