Hi guys. I'm the songwriter in my band, and I'm also a rhythm guitarist/lead vocalist.

The way I write my songs is just chord formations, melodies and lyrics, very very simple.

I also write the bass parts/lead guitar parts, i'm alright on the lead guitar parts, BUT, I struggle with bass.

Now, I don't really know if the other band members can notice it, but when I play some of my songs, without bass, just chords/vocals, it sounds perfect. But with the bass, it sounds very very off at some parts, and feels much much harder to sing.

So how exactly do I write a bass-line that follows the rhythm guitar chords? And won't sway my vocals off? I'm only looking for a very simple bass line, nothing too enthusiastic or mad as I'm not really a bass player. Just something that sounds pretty much like the rhythm guitar.

This is one of our songs where the bass sounds quite off, here's the chord formations, how can I create the bass for this? Very simple chords. This is from verse 1 to the chorus. The part that sounds the most off when we play it, is FROM the bridge, back to the verse.

Verse: Em, C, D, Em

Bridge: C, Em, C, D

Verse: Em, C, D, Em

Bridge: C, Em, C, D

Chorus: Em, G, A, C
Em, G, A , C, D

Thanks a lot!
You can make the bass play the root note of the chords and hold that note for the duration of the chord. That's about as simple as bass lines can get.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Emphasize the chord tones of each chord. But even simple stuff like what the guy above said is good. Bass lines are about groove and rhythm.
The way I write bass lines is pretty much just using the root of the chord, and then the other notes from that chord for fills and stuff like that. No unnecessary fills though or it might get too complex and a bit restless. Also don't make it too simple or the bass player will probably hate you, at least I would.
One good way of making basslines though is hand over a chord sheet to the bassist, and let him do his job. If he always knows what chord is being played, it's pretty easy to improvise something nice over that. If he's not that good, he'll just follow with the root in some fitting, interesting rhythm.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by rockingamer2
You can make the bass play the root note of the chords and hold that note for the duration of the chord. That's about as simple as bass lines can get.

I actually took your advice man, thanks. This is the bass line i came up with:

Bass: E: 0-3-2-5-0,
Bridge: A: 3-2-3-5,

Chorus: E: 0-3 A:0-3
E: 0-3 A:0-3-5

It fits surprisingly well!