Hey Guys,
I'm a new "Luthier" and I started out with just a strat kit, but I've always wanted a Les Paul flat top. I have access to some Black Walnut that would look BEAUTIFUL. what I was wondering is, is the routing and everything the same for a carved top and a flat top? like could I use a standard LP template or is there a special set I'll have to get?
Thanks!
God Bless
Thanks. any suggestions on a good place to find the plans/templates? I found some vinyl templates on ebay for like $15...
22aaapreserve a glimpse concerning the materials,styles and colours radii 420 white all concentrate on so they give a picture.As at current mentioned,radii shoes white look so unbeatable,at lowest only just one period of your time of your time producing utilization inside the present marketplace of radii straight jacket lack white!Supra shoes could possibly be deemed a mark of fashion,is a delight for all fans of Justin Bieber service. Register mode the instant possible! Justin Bieber a good offer an amazing offer more in comparison with net shoe for you,as the above-mentioned company,Supra Muska Skytop,rad
ii footwear straight jacket
,Supra Skytop,Supra Vaider large above tied ns,ECT. purple suprasWelcome,above affordable for sale!Supra shoes do even more in vogue. in amid the men,hip-hop youth pointed out that placing much more than a pair of protected supra skytop 2 black red and severely really very good appears can preserve self-confidence. 11aaaaThe Nike air Max 90 is ordinarily a specific lebron 9 white which arrived out to could possibly be found to acquire at principal composed by lebron 8 ps blue within of of of 1990 lebron 8 black to could possibly be found to acquire perceived getting an important lebron 8 ps green or options and some cycle which reissued within of of of 2000 for purchase as any conventional reissue handful of of most significant working nike hyperfuse blue. The Lebron 8 could possibly be perceived getting a signature shoes that is produced in honor of amon
g the NBA superstar kobe 6 red. It arrive steering to acquire producing its producer brand inside the marketplace and patronized by countless many NBA fans and all people individuals grownup males and girls who idolizes kobe 6 black. The kobe 6 green Blackout could possibly be among one of the most current product or options or help of kobe 5 blue.
I want to understand, really I do... but what the fuck?

On topic, I imagine the routing would be pretty much the same (close enough to have no really distinguishable difference, at least). If you look at the projection onto a flat plate as opposed to the 3.5 deg. angle, there really isn't much change.
^But the 3.5° angle is to get the proper string action for the TOM bridge and not to compensate for the carvings. The area that holds the bridge and pickups on a regular carved top LP is flat, so if they recessed the TOM then there'd be no need for the angle.
Quote by grayandholly
Thanks. any suggestions on a good place to find the plans/templates? I found some vinyl templates on ebay for like $15...

stuff on ebay is cheap but. . . . GREAT!!!!!
Boysie8 and Pickabird.... youre over my head... Im guessing B8 is saying to project the image onto the flat piece of walnut that I'm using, but I'm kind of unclear on the TOM bridge.... are you saying it requires the step down angles to work right? I really hadnt thought about that.... The reason I ask is be cause on Warmouth (link below) there are flat top LP bodies that are drilled ane routed in the same way as their carve top LPs for the TOM bridge but there are also some that have the through body string holes ane only the two mounting holes for the bridge.
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/LP/LPflatop.aspx
Last edited by grayandholly at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by grayandholly
pretty sweet, CustomAxe. nice inlay work. is that all inlay on the back?

Thanks! It's just the quilted maple neck through body slab actually.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Pikka bird, I'm not sure that the pickup surface is flat, most seem to curve from 3.5 to flat along the surface. You are right about the ToM reasons though.

Now that I think about it grayandholly, you could just use the neck angle and pickup routing for an SG (which is really just a flat LP anyway).
Quote by CustomAxe
Thanks! It's just the quilted maple neck through body slab actually.

CustomAxe, Either way, pretty wicked! So did you use templates or a computer file print out? If it was a computer file, it'd be awesome if you could post that up on here? Thanks!
And Boysie 8, that kinda makes sense... Any body else have thoughts on the use of the SG pick up and bridge routes and neck angle on an LP body?
Quote by Boysie8
Pikka bird, I'm not sure that the pickup surface is flat, most seem to curve from 3.5 to flat along the surface. You are right about the ToM reasons though.

That curve has flattened out before the end of the neck pickup rout on all the LPs I've seen and is meant to camouflage the angle of the neck so the fretboard sits parallel to the body surface next to it.
Walnut! It's gonna look way more special with a recessed TOM, through-body stringing and (hopefully) a nice finish that lets the grain show through.
Yea.......Defo the walnut.......looks so much better. I also recessed the TOM's on the last two explorers. Works a treat.

Sharp tools to ya!
Quote by grayandholly
So... my real wuestion rephrased... should I go with the bridge route in the mahoghany body or the walnut body? theyre both flat tops, so its just about the way the strings are anchored.

Just toclarify the above, its going to be in walnut, I just wanted to see what everybody thought about the through-body strings as opposed to the tailpiece.
So... remember that Swamp ash Strat i mentioned earlier? I want to be able to see the grain on the front so I'm using the Stewmac translucent color tone for it. Question:I want the back to be a dark blue or black, but not as translucent so you can see the grain but not as much as the front... do i need another stewmac or similar instrument specific stain or could I use the water based Minwax? I could dilute it if need be? would it screw up the sound?
Quote by grayandholly
CustomAxe, Either way, pretty wicked! So did you use templates or a computer file print out? If it was a computer file, it'd be awesome if you could post that up on here? Thanks!
And Boysie 8, that kinda makes sense... Any body else have thoughts on the use of the SG pick up and bridge routes and neck angle on an LP body?

No templates, no computer files. I work with a private luthier who does absolutely everything by hand. Literally this guitar was built with wood, glue, sandpaper and a dremel lol. The guitar is really VERY different from a standard les paul in many ways (about half the thickness, despite bringing all the mahogany+maple tonal goodness to the table). It's closer body wise to an ESP LP, but even thinner. I'm lucky to own many great guitars but this one is absolutely my #1. Carved tops are cool, but this is a unique piece and I like it better that way.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.