I am pretty OCD so I dunno if this is worth the worry but I got a new guitar recently which is almost perfect and I am planning on swapping out the pickups but I noticed that the locking nut is off center. So I was wondering what I would have to go through to fix it and how much would it cost if I got a someone to do it at a repair shop? It is not off by much I am almost tempted to try fixing it myself but I really dont want to mess up anything but it is definitely off center. There is more room on the High E side than the Low E.

Here are some pics: Locking Nut Pics
kinda hard to tell from the pics, but in the one looking down from the headstock, it looks like it's lower at the bass side, and also overhanging the neck a bit?

Personally, I wouldn't be too pleased... assuming i've interpreted the pics correctly. If it's lower at the bass side that might make it hard to get a consistent action, and the overhang can mean the strings go off the fretboard when you try to fret...

EDIT: there might be a shim affecting the height. that still wouldn't explain the overhang, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't understand what you mean: did you actually try to lock the strings, and the nut didn't lock evenly, as expected? Where were you when you bought the guitar, then?
If you didn't - and you just looked at the nut without trying to lock it -, it is normal to be a little more room on the High E side, because High E is thicker than Low E (assuming you use High and Low for E string's position on the fret, because, in terms of scale, it's quite the opposite).
Please give us some details, or maybe a Hi-Res picture, so we can figure it out what it is.
Fixing it would involve filling the holes with dowels and then redrilling. It would make a lot more sense to just return the guitar and get one that isn’t off-center. If you can’t return it, get Dean warranty service to replace it.
Quote by rv_phoenix

If you didn't - and you just looked at the nut without trying to lock it -, it is normal to be a little more room on the High E side, because High E is thicker than Low E (assuming you use High and Low for E string's position on the fret, because, in terms of scale, it's quite the opposite).

good point
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The actual nut is over hanging one side and the other side it is pushed in a little so the whole nut is actually slid over a bit and being as I play metal it worries me about the performance of the of the guitar being as I play metal and use the low e string alot.
yeah

is it under warranty?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's not a tough thing to fix at all, unless it's new and under warranty like asked.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yea it is new and under warranty it just is such an awesome guitar that I really don't want to have to send it back and wait on a new one. I like the neck and the Floyd Rose and everything just the pickups were kinda hummy (but they arent top of the line anyway) and now I notice that the locking nut is off center. Musicians Friend told me the soonest I could get a new one was December... :-(

I got it setup too but I only paid 10 bucks.
Quote by Rustylunchbox
Yea it is new and under warranty it just is such an awesome guitar that I really don't want to have to send it back and wait on a new one. I like the neck and the Floyd Rose and everything just the pickups were kinda hummy (but they arent top of the line anyway) and now I notice that the locking nut is off center. Musicians Friend told me the soonest I could get a new one was December... :-(

I got it setup too but I only paid 10 bucks.

well talk to MF ask them if you can send them the bill for the work.

i think the nut might just need to be placed more center.
but it's not anything i can tell without looking at the guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 3, 2011,
Skip MF and contact Dean directly. Dean might have ten of these in a warehouse just waiting to go out.
Yea I agree and I am in the processing of doing that, also my neck was dry because it had been sitting around so long and I doubt that I will get a dusty old one out of the back of a warehouse if I contact Dean but who knows lol. I have had problems with this since it came out of the box... silica gel packet had busted, there was polishing compound all over it, it has a dent in one of the wings and the truss rod was loose.... like completely.... and yet it was inspected? I'm calling bull on that one. I just would like to have one that is in perfect condition considering I paid for a new one. I have been impressed by Dean in the past and as much I hate to say it they are really letting me down this time. It has the potential to be great and it is very very attractive. It needs to play great though also. I wanna look good and sound even better when I'm on stage ya know.
Quote by jj1565
well talk to MF ask them if you can send them the bill for the work.

i think the nut might just need to be placed more center.
but it's not anything i can tell without looking at the guitar.

would that work?

I mean I'm terrible at setups compared to you, but don't locking nuts normally attach with screws? so there's only really one set way they can fit.

That might be completely wrong, though.

But yeah I mean if it's under warranty don't do anything until you're sure you're not sending it back. You don't want to void the warranty by attempting a repair yourself. and then find you can't fix the problem yourself.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
would that work?

I mean I'm terrible at setups compared to you, but don't locking nuts normally attach with screws? so there's only really one set way they can fit.

That might be completely wrong, though.

But yeah I mean if it's under warranty don't do anything until you're sure you're not sending it back. You don't want to void the warranty by attempting a repair yourself. and then find you can't fix the problem yourself.

yes with screws but I added the "haven't seen it"
part because I'm guessing it's possible
there's a simple fix here.

I don't see a lot of guitars completely
FUBAR from the factory.

edit: wow just read the ts explain
the condition of the guitar upon opening.
yes, hearing that, it's possible this was
a return or something rushed through
inspection.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 4, 2011,
oh yeah, sure, obviously don't discount the simple fix

But yeah if you suspect you have a lemon, you don't touch it and send it back as quickly as possible. I've had to do that with a couple of guitars now, it sucks, but it's better than being stuck with something that isn't easily fixable or which obviously should have been a reject.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea thanks for all the input guys I went to my guitar guy today and he said the screws in the locking nut feel stripped out and he was able to move it over slightly but it didnt help. So as of today I called Dean and MF and I am returning it for another one and even better guys MF has them in stock again :-)
ok good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ +1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?