I have a Jackson SLSMG which i love for playability, but i'm moving out of the extreme metal phase. The guitar came stock with emgs and have crunch to spare, but id like a humbucker for the neck and bridge position that has that neoclassical quality to it. I've been playing for about 8 years and i don't expect my pickups to do all the work for me, but the pickups i have now have a nasal quality to them that makes my skin crawl.

Any suggestions would be helpful, i've heard good things about Seymour and dimarzio.
Duncan Pearly Gates or DiMarzio PAF Pros are a nice place to start.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Depends what you want, Active or Passive?

I can't speak for Seymour because I use dimarizo's but both have good reputations and quality pick ups, you may also consider Bareknuckle (expensive) but really nice pickups.

Dimarizo offers a few passive pickups for metal, I don't think they sell actives:

D-Activator Combo: Really sensitive pickups but offer pretty much all the perks of Active pickups without the battery and other disadvantageous, apparently it is a pretty sweet pup but you have to be careful because they pick-up literately everything you do.

X2N - Super high output, my buddy has one in his Ibanez and it starts pushing the amp into over-drive on a clean channel XD

There are a few other choices, you can look at but for intense metal this is what comes to mind. You could also contact Dimarizo (email - usually get back to you within a day or 2) and ask them to help find what your looking for, they are really good about it and helped be pick out what I use now :p

Seymour Duncan: They offer both active and passive

Active:
Dave Mustaines Live-wire

Blackouts series - (most people agree they are better then EMG, you can watch a comparison on youtube and see what you think)

Dime-bag Darrell signature - Not for everyone I hear pretty mixed reviews about it, from an amazing active pickup to muddy and lacking range.

Passive: Not really come to mind for really intense metal but I'm sure there is 2 or 3 that you could check out.
Im selling a Pearly Gates actually right now for the neck if you are interested. That or a 59 or Jazz is what I would get for the neck. Jb or something like that for bridge if getting SD
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
im not a gear junkie by any means, and maybe this will sound stupid but whats the difference between active and passive pickups?
Try out a Steve's Special (DiMarzio) in the bridge, and a Breed for the neck perhaps?
Or maybe a Super Distortion (any of the models should work, tho I think it would be best with the original, or Super 3 version in the bridge for a fuller sound) along with a PAF Pro in the neck?
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Quote by Bruiser1969
im not a gear junkie by any means, and maybe this will sound stupid but whats the difference between active and passive pickups?

A passive pickup is a copper wound (sometimes silver) around a magnet, how they are wound greatly effects the tone and dynamics of a pickup specifically harmonics.

Active pickups are battery operated and usually have nifty little features like active EQ and a pre-amp and have a higher out-put making then ideal for metal and don't muddy up. They also are very quite when compared to most passive pickups (no static). Cable length also plays less of a role on your tone for guitar. (the rule of thumb for cable distance is the shorter the better) .

Actives are great pickups in there own regard but I find them to be a bit lifeless, they just come off as flat and lacking in dynamics. Great for chugging rifts but when it comes down to it they just lack what passives provide.
No problem, good luck with your search. Hope you don't agonies to long over it, I know I did! It was well worth it though :P
This is personal preference, but I would not recommend anything that BigHeadClan suggested. If you've got a high gain amp, there's really no need for the over the top high output pickups. They're also kind of one trick ponies. Great for big heavy rhythms, but lifeless for lead guitar.

Actives are the same way. Great for heavy rhythms, but kind of sterile and lifeless otherwise. Most shred guitarists (at least the ones I listen to) use medium to high output passives, most tend to use dimarzios as well.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Pearly Gates either. More of a blues thing. Big and ballsy on the bottom, very percussive, makes a great low to medium gain rhythm pickup, but I find them a little thin when it comes to lead guitar.
Can't go wrong with JB/'59 or JB/Jazz set for neoclassical, tbh.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by icronic
This is personal preference, but I would not recommend anything that BigHeadClan suggested. If you've got a high gain amp, there's really no need for the over the top high output pickups. They're also kind of one trick ponies. Great for big heavy rhythms, but lifeless for lead guitar.

Actives are the same way. Great for heavy rhythms, but kind of sterile and lifeless otherwise. Most shred guitarists (at least the ones I listen to) use medium to high output passives, most tend to use dimarzios as well.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Pearly Gates either. More of a blues thing. Big and ballsy on the bottom, very percussive, makes a great low to medium gain rhythm pickup, but I find them a little thin when it comes to lead guitar.

Pearly Gates is a hotter 59 which works well for those things. And you can always back off the volume pot just a bit on a high output passive and get better lower gain sounds if you want.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Well Icronic you're 100% right that it's all personal but not only is it hard to hear what most pickups sound like for the type of music you play but they type of guitar the pickups are in(wood type ect) all effect the sound.

Yes I mentioned all high output pickups, but since we don't know what type of amp he has you can't really expect to many offers outside of mid/high output range.Try and remember that I also recommended that he talk to Dimarizo, they know there stuff and could help him pick out what he needs better then anyone else.

If he has a more clean/jazz styled amp then lower output pickups won't be able to drive the amp to the point where you can get brutal distortion.

As for the pickups you mention being life-less I can't really say I agree with you at all, I have a Dsonic in my bridge (petrucci's old bridge, and a 36 PAF anniver. in my neck) and I can get pretty much any tone I want be is Santana or Pantera.

Yes a high output bridge is limited for sure but that's why you have to make use of the pickup selector to expand your range. Have your high output in the bridge for you're rhythm but when you want to stand out then go to your neck or middle pup, they are always a lower output and have better harmonics and tone then the bridge.

Choosing a good neck pickup is just as important as a good bridge pickup, you have to balance them out properly to give yourself good dynamics. Most people will get signature sets from big names, but those pickups are for one style of music (what the person they are modeled after play) so chances are that is what you heard.
try a dimarzio AT-1. supposed to be a fantastic lead players pickup. check out andy timmons modern tone for proof
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by icronic

Icronic is right on the money here, ESPECIALLY if you're talking about neoclassical playing. Practically none of the neoclassical players use bombastically high-output pickups...Malmsteen, Vinnie Moore, Tony McAlpine, basically all the Shrapnel Records all-stars, etc. used moderate output pickups with high-gain tube amps. That's the archetype neo-classical sound; chewy, vocal, thick, and rich, yet articulate tones.

Suprised no-one has mentioned Swineshead ( no longer in business, check eBay ) or Bareknuckle pickups. Easily some of the best pickups in the world.
i would consider a liquafire in the neck or maybe a an air norton. they have that creaminess and saturated quality to them (like most of the neoclassical recordings).

as far as bridge goes, i haven't tried any other Dimarizo's bridge pickups besides a tonezone , i really like them, but dont think that is what you are looking for. i however do have them in three guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hmm somehow I missed the <Neoclassic> request from the OP and only saw extreme metal bit, well that just makes me seem like an ass. Well Bruiser disregard everything I said, because every pick-up I listed won't really give you what your looking for sorry to mislead you if I did.