Page 1 of 2
So having frequented with many British and Americans, there seems to be distinct differences in culture, where Brits are realistic, sometimes negative and believe things wont happen. Americans often are optimistic, sometimes unrealistic and believe anything can happen.

Which school of thought would you say you were in, and which would you say leads to a happier life?
Germans are the complete extreme of negativity and nay-saying, compared to them the British are like the friendliest people you ever met and the Americans the funniest and most laid back.

Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm in the school that loves generalizing groups of millions of people.

you must be British.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 3, 2011,
I'm in the school that judges Americans off generalizations in the media and British people from message boards.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by CoreysMonster
Germans are the complete extreme of negativity and nay-saying, compared to them the British are like the friendliest people you ever met and the Americans the funniest and most laid back.

you must be British.

If Hitler was negative, he would never have conquered Europe.
Quote by CoreysMonster

you must be British.

Well I can be negative.
My asian side does make me very practical and most often negative too.
Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm in the school that loves generalizing groups of millions of people.

There's a difference between exploring the idea of a cultural tendency and 'generalising'. And that isn't even necessarily a bad thing. I think it's an interesting idea.
I think those should be Baskin Robins flavors.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Jawlytomtom
Sweeping meaningless generalizations that are possibly true.

its hardly meaningless. ive been shown by americans that i and everyone i know are way too negative and it rules our lives, however they are also unrealistic in their goals..but i guess that makes them happy.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
its hardly meaningless. ive been shown by americans that i and everyone i know are way too negative and it rules our lives, however they are also unrealistic in their goals..but i guess that makes them happy.

You will never talk to enough Americans and British people to warrant redarding your observations as anything more than miscellaneous examples. Most likely its over the internet as well where you cannot be certain of a persons true identity and also it more than likely that the people in the place you speak to these British or Americans are not accurately representative of America as the forum might be more popular to Left-Wingers or People from Florida or something ya see what I'm getting at?
Quote by due 07
I'd also be jaded if Cameron was my PM.

Tories: the reason for every single bad English thing ever.
I'm pretty optimistic. I wouldn't say that all Americans are though.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Firenze

--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
To be honest, ive lived in both countries, and both statements are kinda true...
I heard something about this concerning both countries respective versions of "The Office."
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I pretty much believe that humans are humans and they don't, for the most part, believe anything of their own. That's why sweeping generalizations can be even close to accurate; latching onto someone else's ideas, especially if they're the ideas of a large populous, is much easier than believing something of your own and standing behind it.

It's also why something like a generalized statement can be correct in that the suggested is true, but incorrect in that it might not be what people actually believe, but rather what they're saying they believe.

As far as whether I'm optimistic or pessimistic, there are times for both.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
The conservative party are the current ruling party in my country, so you'll have to excuse my pessimism and realism.
Quote by Twidler
I'm scottish and very optimistic and unrealistic.

You shouldn't be, you're Scottish.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
I'm American and realistic, maybe slightly pessimistic. I'm never very hopeful because I don't like being disappointed when things don't go my way, and then when they do go my way I think it makes me feel even better since I wasn't expecting it. My fortune cookie the other day said "Good luck comes to he who does not include it in his plans."
sunbather is shit
I'm definitely in the 'brit' school. In fact, I'm so negative that every time someone calls me British I get angry.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

America isn't built on realism. It takes a lot balls to say you wanna go to war with the British empire.
Quote by Firenze

i just want to highlight the importance and truth of this statement.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by theknuckster
Tories: the reason for every single bad English thing ever.

...including the food?
Quote by Arnthor
The conservative party are the current ruling party in my country, so you'll have to excuse my pessimism and realism.

Yeh but were labour any better? We're screwed however you look at it so might as well get on and make the most of it.

Quote by robbo546hall
You shouldn't be, you're Scottish.

I didn't say I wasn't tight
Quote by CoreysMonster

Bro. You obviously have never talked to a New Zealander.
Quote by devourke
Bro. You obviously have never talked to a New Zealander.

Quoted for truth.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by Twidler
Yeh but were labour any better? We're screwed however you look at it so might as well get on and make the most of it.

If it makes you feel any better that's the situation in every country with a free political system.

In dictatorships you get bum raped by the same guy for 60 years. In democracies you get bum raped by many different guys in X year intervals.
Page 1 of 2