It's a good thing. Public schools suck
68 18%
It's a bad thing. Parents can screw up their kid's education
233 62%
I'm not sure how I feel about it.
73 20%
Voters: 374.
Page 1 of 12
Personally, I'm pretty against it. Every home-schooled kid I've ever known has been either an uneducated and screwed up person, completely socially inept and unable to succeed at anything other than academics, which I think is equally damning, or they're completely brainwashed by hardcore their religious parents. I don't know where I stand on the idea of banning it, but I think we need to do something about it (at least here in the USA). The victims of bad home-schooling are the kids, who have no choice in the matter.

What are your thoughts?
Check out my band Disturbed
If by having something be done about it, you mean tighten up on the standards of those who able to teach their kids and actually make sure the kids are learning, then yeah go for it. But, home schooling should still definately be allowed if the family wants to.
There is no excuse for bad parenting. Period. If you can't teach em right yourself, send em to public school so that they can learn socially and at least with some standardization, however fucked it is.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
My brother goes to a semi-homeschool program called Options for Youth. He goes to school 2 days a week and not for very long. From what I've heard it does jack shit for people who want to go to college or join the military.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by RU Experienced?
There's positive and negative aspects to it. It depends on the parents and the kid.

Yup, each case is different. Can be ok, can go straight to hell.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think there should be some kind of mandatory program to socialize all the home-school kids. Almost all of them, in my experience, are completely socially inept.

In my middle school there was a girl who was homeschooled and she would come to school like once a week, and it was mostly so she could talk to people her age and learn social skills. It worked pretty well.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Only in special cases. This is where regular schooling is not working - but depends on parental commitment to a set program of work.
i know a guy who is home schooled and he is a creepy ****.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
If the parent or home teacher is intelligent enough in all fields and the kid gets lots of interaction with other kids, who the hell am I to judge?
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Terrible idea.
There's far more to academic institutions than just what the teacher's tell you and make you read.
You learn far more than just numbers and spellings which are drilled into your brain.
Quote by DonGlover
If the parent or home teacher is intelligent enough in all fields and the kid gets lots of interaction with other kids, who the hell am I to judge?

That's the thing though. People are always complaining about 'bad teachers' and shit, but I can't think of a worse teacher than a mom who hasn't been in school in 15 years.
Depends 100% on the parents, children, and school in question. There is no blanket answer for this.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Depends 100% on the parents, children, and school in question. There is no blanket answer for this.

Well you have to make some sort of legal decisions. You can't just make the law say 'well it depends...'
We had a family in our neighborhood about 4 or 5 years ago that homeschooled their kids. They plainly didn't know how to act around other people, and were pretty badly behaved when they were at our house. All this despite the fact that their parents were EXTREMELY strict and ridiculously religious. They could have learned how to socialize much better if they had gone to a public school.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by StewieSwan
Well you have to make some sort of legal decisions. You can't just make the law say 'well it depends...'

Legal decisions ruled in courts are done so on a case by case basis, which also depends 100% on the circumstances, people involved, and reasons for doing so.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Works fine for a lot of people too. More and more kids in my area are leaving public school to do school at home and they're not socially inept at all.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I'm homeschooled, and I'm a pretty cool guy. I had to convince my parents to let me, but it freed me up to work when i would otherwise be in school. I passed all my classes with Good grades, and I even finished early. My Mom and Dad never helped me, either. It's about the drive of the kid as much as who's teaching.
My sig? Nice.
I was homeschooled up until 5th grade, and it completely fucked me over socially. I was creepy as anything, had a hard time talking to people. was a hardcore christian, and didn't have a lot of friends.

I was, however, some type of genious according to the public school system. Starting 5th grade I was doing everything at least on a 7th grade level, and they were considering jumping me up a grade. (I was 9 at the time too...)

Then in middle school I started skating and playing guitar, made some friends that helped me get in trouble and loosen up a bit, became a bit less creepy, and started to be social.

So, yeah, I honestly think homeschooling is horrible because it cripples you socially, even if it has the possibility of making you a genious. And if you can't interact with people at all, then life sucks.

Edit: It obviously depends on the parents though. My parents are f*cking crazy. My dad's a jahova's witness, I think that speaks for itself. >_>
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Nov 3, 2011,
I'm friends with about 3 people that were homeschooled, and they're all more normal and well adjusted than my mates.
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
We had a family in our neighborhood about 4 or 5 years ago that homeschooled their kids. They plainly didn't know how to act around other people, and were pretty badly behaved when they were at our house. All this despite the fact that their parents were EXTREMELY strict and ridiculously religious. They could have learned how to socialize much better if they had gone to a public school.

Or they could've been those weird kids that no one liked, and would've ended up worse off. MAybe shoot the school up.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by StewieSwan
That's the thing though. People are always complaining about 'bad teachers' and shit, but I can't think of a worse teacher than a mom who hasn't been in school in 15 years.

What if that mom happens to be well studied in various fields? And who says it has to be the Mom that teaches? Or that there is only one teacher? Or that it isn't a professional that is hired by the parents to teach at home?
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by BurningTurkey
Or they could've been those weird kids that no one liked, and would've ended up worse off. MAybe shoot the school up.

Haha, actually I think you're right.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
I hate to see people become socially inept. "Book smarts" are only half the battle in contemporary society.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Yeah, it seems most homeschooled kids end up pretty messed up, almost to the point where it's scary. Just seems like a harsh thing to do to your kid. It's as if they are trying to shelter them from the real world, then when they get out there, they don't know what to do.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I am homeschooled. On the flip side of all of this, I would typically isolate myself every chance I got while in public school and it was a big waste of time, I would zone out every class and do tons better than everyone else gradewise. I am now homeschooled and take college classes on the weekends (I am in my junior year of highschool). I do tons of socialization during the week. Public school sucks and is a flawed system.
I was homeschooled. Graduated early, the only negative thing I got out of it would be my social anxiety, but I don't even have that too bad.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I was home-schooled from fifth grade through high school graduation. I loved it.

Played basketball, baseball, flag football.
Was in a band.
Got great grades on standardized tests.
And have a 4.0 GPA in college. I also got to take classes at he community college early since I was pretty ahead of the game.

My mom was a teacher for a while though so I'm sure that helped.

The only time I see it as bad is if the parent is way to overprotective and doesn't let the id do anything. Then they just get ****ed up.

Wow, the amount of hate in this thread is weird, since most of you probably no next to nothing about what you are talking about.

Edit: V Not all home-schoolers are religious zealots.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 3, 2011,
Watch the homeschooling segment in Jesus Camp. That alone is a compelling argument to ban homeschooling altogether, with few exceptions for extraordinary cases (severe illness and the like).

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I'd have loved it. I was always terribly bored in school, and the only other option for me was to go to giftie school. All I wanted was to smash through everything at my own pace so I didn't have to sit around doing nothing for half the day. Public school works at the pace of the slowest in the class. That's fine and dandy, but their stupidity makes the brightest unjustly suffer as a direct result. When you are forced to go to a public school and spend at least half the day twiddling your thumbs with nothing to do, you'd understand.
Quote by Das_Skittles
Watch the homeschooling segment in Jesus Camp. That alone is a compelling argument to ban homeschooling altogether, with few exceptions for extraordinary cases (severe illness and the like).

Nope, just because there are people out there who suck cock doesn't mean that it should be banned altogether because of their behavior.
Quote by DonGlover
What if that mom happens to be well studied in various fields? And who says it has to be the Mom that teaches? Or that there is only one teacher? Or that it isn't a professional that is hired by the parents to teach at home?

Fucking this.

After a certain point, some kids don't need teachers anyways. Some kids don't need an unnecessarily strict system which punishes them for being vastly more efficient and brighter than most of the other people in said system. Until you provide an alternative system that feeds the same material but allows kids to work at their own pace (should be the norm anyways if you ask me), give me homeschooling at the very least. I suffered from grade 1 to grade 12 because of this. I'd have killed for homeschooling. When I got suspended for 10 days in grade 8 my marks went from 60's to 100's across the board. Then when I came back they dropped back to 60's. The primary concern should be with proving a means for the brightest to succeed rather than making them suffer for the sake of the dullest.
I wasn't home-schooled yet, I'm pretty strange (not in an entirely bad way, I'm very friendly, I'm just naive sometimes).

I knew someone from my college who was home-schooled. He was very smart (although I sometimes knew more stuff than him ) but, he was quite an intense person at times. This is in England aswell so, home-schooling shouldn't necessarily be an option.

I guess it depends on the parents. Maybe the parents take the kid out to see other people alot, to compensate for the lack of social interaction from home-schooling.

Then again, Eric Cartman
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Primus2112
I was homeschooled. Graduated early, the only negative thing I got out of it would be my social anxiety, but I don't even have that too bad.

It always annoys me that people act like only home-schooled kids could have social anxiety. Could they? Of course. Anyone can.

Personally, I have met some pretty ****ed up public school students, just like I'm sure many of you have. I hated when I did attend school. Once I started being home-schooled (I think I was 12) I really opened up and was more outgoing.

Everyone is different.

I guess this wasn't actually directed at you, Primus
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Fucking this.

After a certain point, some kids don't need teachers anyways. Some kids don't need an unnecessarily strict system which punishes them for being vastly more efficient and brighter than most of the other people in said system. Until you provide an alternative system that feeds the same material but allows kids to work at their own pace (should be the norm anyways if you ask me), give me homeschooling at the very least. I suffered from grade 1 to grade 12 because of this. I'd have killed for homeschooling. When I got suspended for 10 days in grade 8 my marks went from 60's to 100's across the board. Then when I came back they dropped back to 60's. The primary concern should be with proving a means for the brightest to succeed rather than making them suffer for the sake of the dullest.

Are you, by chance, a janitor? Who likes to kick back with his working buddies with some beers. But deep down you know you can do so much better.

Is this you?
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Fucking this.

This is why I haven't voted yet. Home-schooled kids tend to be really smart, but incredibly socially inept the majority of the time. I did have to check in with this one place every couple of months to make sure that I was keeping up on my work. As I said, I was well ahead of everyone in 5th grade, and I did virtually nothing besides maybe an hour of work a day. Now I feel like I'm learning nothing other than what I learn on my own from the internet, which is mostly computer-oriented stuff. And wouldn't you know it, I'm passing all my computer-related classes without even trying.
It's a terrible idea. Kids need to be around other kids to develop socially.

Most of the lifelong homeschoolers I've met turned out a bit "strange".