Agile AL-3125 Chambered - $469.95

http://www.rondomusic.com/al31252ts.html

Gibson Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute - $849.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-limited-run-les-paul-studio-60s-tribute-electric-guitar

I know the price differences are drastic, but I've heard nothing but good from Agile's higher end AL models. Are the Gibson's upgrades/pickups/materials/etc. worth the extra money or should I go Agile here?

For the record, I once owned a lower end Agile that I was very unhappy with pickup-wise (had "EMG Designed" pickups, AKA:crap), so i'm a bit hesitant on settling on the AL before I know the quality of the pickups.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
My personal experience has been that you tend to pay for the name too on Gibsons, I've had a few Les Pauls and while they sounded awesome I wasn't convinced by the overall finish and quality of the build. On that basis I wouldn't rule out a cheaper guitar at all, I don't know the other one though so can't comment on it but I would highly recommend trying them both and comparing them. We also get ripped off for a lot of american built guitars over here due to import duty crap, the price gets about doubled.
The Gibson in this instance. The P-90s are to die for.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
The Gibson in this instance. The P-90s are to die for.

Hmm... but are they flexible? I've never used them before. Can they handle anything from GNR, Hendrix, Clapton, etc.?
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Quote by Ragu35
Hmm... but are they flexible? I've never used them before. Can they handle anything from GNR, Hendrix, Clapton, etc.?

hahaha good one, yes, I'd say they are more flexible than humbuckers or single coils, because they are somewhere inbetween. Tony Iommi used a SG w/p90s Santana did, Townshend(The Who) did. I think that is enough flexibility.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
hahaha good one, yes, I'd say they are more flexible than humbuckers or single coils, because they are somewhere inbetween. Tony Iommi used a SG w/p90s Santana did, Townshend(The Who) did. I think that is enough flexibility.

Would you happen to know if putting P-90s into the Agile would be more cost effective?
For example, the P-90s in this bunch here?
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/humbuckers_and/

I'm digging the chambered body.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Last edited by Ragu35 at Nov 3, 2011,
Quote by Ragu35
Would you happen to know if putting P-90s into the Agile would be more cost effective?

I'm digging the chambered body.

The Gibson is chambered too. Yes, putting a nice set of P-90s will be a big upgrade in the Agile, I love Agile but I hate their stock pickups.
Quote by JD Close
Quote by Most_Triumphant
The Gibson is chambered too. Yes, putting a nice set of P-90s will be a big upgrade in the Agile, I love Agile but I hate their stock pickups.

I'm also digging the price tag
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Yeah the price is good, but try them out first. Also try the Gibby to compare.
Quote by JD Close
Just make sure you like the Agile before you buy it. You'll have hard time selling it compared to the Gibby and it'll devalue to 1/2 what you paid.
Moving on.....
The Gibson is the better guitar in every regard. But you asked to take price into account and that's the breaker. If your budget is tight and the Gibson will wipe out all your funds and leave you totally broke then it would be silly to get that.

My advice would be to wait and save up until you are in a more comfrotable position to buy the Gibson. When you're looking at MIA or MIJ guitars but settle on some random copy brand because they seem 'better value', really all you're doing is wasting your money. You're spending money on something to make-do and satisfy your desire for a new guitar now and in the long run you're still going to be wanting the big pro MIA or MIJ instrument. It's better to save up and buy what you really want right away. Even if you don't have great income and saving up means waiting another couple of months, a few months of waiting compared to the years and years and years that a quality guitar will last you.
Also there's a thread a page or two back about Agile vs Epiphone vs Gibson. You should read that (but ignore the shit-flinging on the third and fourth pages)
The answer is the Gibson and you're a ****ing moron to ever think otherwise.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Used gibson would be best value

Although if you go new make sure you go to a shop and buy the exact one you try for there lower end shiz.
Quote by KenG
Just make sure you like the Agile before you buy it. You'll have hard time selling it compared to the Gibby and it'll devalue to 1/2 what you paid.

Well I could easily return it if I don't like it, no? I've done it before with the agile I mentioned in the first post.

I think I'm going to try the Agile and see if I like the guitar itself, and if I do, i'll switch out the pickups with some Seymour Duncan P-90s. And if I hate it, i'll save up some cash (it will take me forever but i'll get enough some day).
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
See the sig.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
Used gibson would be best value

Although if you go new make sure you go to a shop and buy the exact one you try for there lower end shiz.

Used 60s Tributes aren't much cheaper than the new ones from what I've seen. Might as well just spend a bit more and get a new one.

The Gibson is a great guitar. It's what I'd buy given this dilemma.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
if you buy the agile, at some point down the road you will regret not getting the gibson.

it's gonna happen, deny it if you want, that's cool.

some people half ass things their whole life. it's your life, you make the call.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Does the Gibson come with the case? Agile don't. I'd go for the Gibby.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by gregs1020

some people half ass things their whole life. it's your life, you make the call.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd get the Gibson, but maybe that's because I'm a Gibson guy. If deep down inside you want a Gibson, you won't like the Agile, not matter how good it is (and from what I hear they're VERY GOOD). If the name means nothing to you, then get the Agile.
Quote by gregs1020
if you buy the agile, at some point down the road you will regret not getting the gibson.

it's gonna happen, deny it if you want, that's cool.

good luck.
+311 ... from lots and lots of experience!

Quote by MrFlibble
The answer is the Gibson and you're a ****ing moron to ever think otherwise.

HI MR. FLIBBLE. =D

Anyways, I'd say go for the Gibson. Agiles are generally good guitars for the money, sure, but the Gibson's going to be better-built, and I've tried some 60s Tributes(2 SGs and a LP), and they were all very nice guitars, every bit as nice as the Standards I tried(though I do like humbuckers better in the neck). And like Gregs said, if you want the Gibson the Agile's not going to satisfy you, and you're going to want the Gibson until you get the Gibson.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.