The biggest hurdle I have right now is keeping strings muted while I'm econo/alt picking. I have no problem at all moving down the strings, but any time I have to travel back up, the motion of pulling a finger off of a string is causing a considerable amount of noise.

I can avoid it while playing slower, but when I crank the metronome up it is unavoidable. 108 seems to be the highest I can play - as soon as I try 112, it happens.

I've spent a month trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and at this point I'm getting aggravated and angry with my playing.

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to play and where I'm screwing up. As soon as I can get beyond this incredibly aggravating issue, I'll be fine with the rest:

It sounds like your fretting fingers are hitting the strings above them. There are two ways to solve that problem.

The first is to place your index finger so that it is always lightly touching the strings above it so that they do not ring out. This is pretty much textbook fretting-hand muting technique and is super important as you start to play more complicated stuff.

The second is to lift your fingers as opposed to pulling them away from the string. By pulling them towards the floor, you're actually increasing the chance of hitting a string and creating noise. Instead, try lifting the finger from the string, but only moving it up from the fretboard, not horizontally (relative to the fretboard).
The F# is the one giving you trouble when moving up right?
then i will correct the mighty geldin and point your index finger muting must be alright since you dont have the problem when descending.

The culprit of this problem is your palm or thumb. they should follow you and immediately mute that F# (19) as soon as you unfret the note.

Nevertheless have the above ideas about just lifting up instead of "pulling" away from the fretboard in mind, they will help you for the rest of your guitar playing life
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 4, 2011,
I would also try to mute the second string with your index finger.
Quote by Slashiepie
The F# is the one giving you trouble when moving up right?
then i will correct the mighty geldin and point your index finger muting must be alright since you dont have the problem when descending.

I think maybe when descending he could be muting the first string with his ring finger (or pinky) when it is fretting the 19 on the second string.
Quote by Geldin
It sounds like your fretting fingers are hitting the strings above them. There are two ways to solve that problem.

The first is to place your index finger so that it is always lightly touching the strings above it so that they do not ring out. This is pretty much textbook fretting-hand muting technique and is super important as you start to play more complicated stuff.

The second is to lift your fingers as opposed to pulling them away from the string. By pulling them towards the floor, you're actually increasing the chance of hitting a string and creating noise. Instead, try lifting the finger from the string, but only moving it up from the fretboard, not horizontally (relative to the fretboard).

Nice tips. This an edge to me in my lesson tomorrow. Thanks.
Last edited by padycustom at Nov 17, 2011,
Thanks guys!

I'm only having the issue on the A# string when I pull up (Tuned to Eb Standard on a 7 string) - I try to make the motions as perpendicular to the fretboard as possible.

I'll give it another go and maybe even post up some video if I'm feeling brave enough. I don't hear the sound when I'm playing dry- it's only when I have the gain up really high. I'm trying to perfect this clean so that I won't cover up mistakes with distortion.
Nope - still no luck. Spent about two hours working at it and that damn string sticks to my ring finger EVERY time I have to pull up away from it. I tried it on three different guitars and different gain settings and it's definitely my technique - nothing action or settings related.

I don't understand how my picking hand could mute the A# string without affecting the D# string. Also, if I make my fretting hand mute the A# string, I'd need to fret the 15th fret with the face of my index finger rather than the tip.

I even tried dousing the strings with FastFret to see if that would help. No luck.

Any other suggestions? I'm at wits end with this. Once I can overcome this I'll be ready to take on some really fast stuff. This is the biggest area that I'm lacking right now. No issues moving down the strings - only back up.

Here's is what I have been doing: (15th fret, D# string. Upon pulling off the 19th fret of A# string with ring finger, A# string rings dull)
http://i43.tinypic.com/vcqnvq.jpg

Is this what you guys mean by muting the A#/Bb string with the fretting hand? Just curious:
http://i39.tinypic.com/6e1x1y.jpg

*edit*

Ok, after watching some Youtube videos of others playing this solo, I think I may be using the wrong fingers for all of it...

This guy nailed it, but it looks like he is muting with the index finger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZED-ELdEViE
Last edited by CV334 at Nov 4, 2011,
Mmm could you post a video mate ?
I actually played the bit you posted and it is doable if your right hand muting is tight and your left hand fretting is alright, try this:

Use the pinky for that 19,
17 - 2
16 -1

You should be able to pull it off cleanly and faster as long as your pinky is past his adolescent rebell stage and cooperates with your hand.
Thanks again guys! I really appreciate the help with this!

My pinkie finger is usually quite cooperative, so I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out.
Well, still no luck.

I've decided that instead of bashing my head against a wall, figuratively of course, I will take a step back and re-evaluate my alt/econo picking skills (or lack thereof).

I'm trying some easier material and playing the metronome game... I'm already seeing a positive difference.