So I was playing my acoustic guitar(Crafter JM250 full mahogany with T-brace if it makes a difference) that I've had for about 7 or 8 months now, and I have heard cracking occasionally that I've always chalked up to either just the strings stretching or the guitar it self. As far as I know they crack/split naturally over time which is what helps make acoustics sound better the older they get.

Now I maintain my guitar, keep it clean play it at least every 2nd day loosen the strings if I'm out of town I have a humidifier in my room as well as one in my sound hole (It gets rather dry out here in winter)ect.

While playing today it felt like my string height was a bit off and my tone wasn't quite as bassy or as loud as normal(neck looked strait but hard judge by eye), now it could very well be that I was just playing bad (I've had better days I admit) but what really set me off was that as I was just about to stop playing I hear a few erratic creeks.

Normally I ignore them and continue on but never do I hear them in 3-4 times back to back, my strings have been on for a few weeks and are broken in so I know they weren't stretching (I checked my tuning no change from when I tuned earlier).

Just in case I've loosed all my strings and it's sitting in it's cradle atm but I just want to make sure that it's still good to play and it's all just in my head.

So is it just my imagination or should I bring it in to get looked over? The guitar was fairly cheap ($650 with case I believe) but I would like to think that even a crappy guitar that is being maintained can last more then a year without incident.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Nov 4, 2011,
I don't know about you but occasionally I hit the top of the guitar with the pick by accident and it sounds like a crack, makes me stop and look lol, could it be the same for you? Or does yours do it at other times?
my first guess - is it possible that the noise you're hearing is the strings moving in too-tight nut slots? if not, or if you're not sure, take the guitar in. i've played acoustic guitar for decades and have never heard a cracking noise.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I was playing on the 8-12 fret and I'm pretty careful with where my headstock is, I do bump it on occasion but that's always fallows with a deep sound not a crack.

I did hear having to thick of a gauge guitar strings can damage the guitar, but the guitar is a dreadnought style and the gauge is 53-13(I think) so I don't think that's an issue *shrug*

Quote by patticake
my first guess - is it possible that the noise you're hearing is the strings moving in too-tight nut slots? if not, or if you're not sure, take the guitar in. i've played acoustic guitar for decades and have never heard a cracking noise.

Hm they might indeed be moving, if that's the case it's just a quick fix and a new set of strings. May just bring it in this week to have it looked over anyhow.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Nov 4, 2011,