my supplier has a quilted maple billet that i'm considering shaping into a neck and fingerboard, is quilted maple too soft for both?

should i use carbon fiber reinforcement for the neck?

edit: also, relative to mahogany, what does walnut sound like? he has some of that too, but it won't be in for a while.
no one? no one at all can answer if they have seen a quilted maple fretboard before?
I've seen everything but, is it really that softer compared to like birdseye maple?
Quote by 00_hns_00
no one? no one at all can answer if they have seen a quilted maple fretboard before?

Every peice is unique; quilted maple doesn't have loads of structural integrity, but I've seen it used for necks. I've never seen a quilted board though...couldn't hurt to try it with some carbon fiber rods underneath on either side of the truss rod. Some companies actually don't use a truss rod when they include carbon-fiber rods they trust them so much...I'm always for trying stuff as apposed to not.
Quote by Twidler
I've seen everything but, is it really that softer compared to like birdseye maple?

i'm told quilted is a form of soft maple, while birdseye is hard maple.

i was told soft maple is very bad for the neck, but was ok for the fretboard.

edit: thanks for the reply guys.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Nov 4, 2011,
if i use carbon fiber rods on the neck, it should be a non issue right?

thanks explorer
Check the grain of the individual piece, you should be able to get flat sawn quilted maple where the grain lines run horizontal on top of each other.

But still probably advisable to put CF rods in and also laminate it into a 3 or 5 piece neck.

What you want to avoid is an end grain that runs at an angle. Very bad for a 1 piece neck made from plain maple, let alone quilted.

Examples of end grain,

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Nov 5, 2011,
thanks so i have to make sure its flat or quarter sawn? i didn't think about that.
Quarter sawn is best for necks (flat sawn is fine), but I think quilted maple only shows it's figure when flat sawn any way (can't seem to find a solid answer for that, I have seen people talk of quarter sawn quilt but others say it is only flat sawn).

Even if it is only flat sawn, that doesnt mean to say the grain lines are perfectly flat, in this pic you can see an the grain lines waving up and down across the end grain, but that peice is probably being sold as flat sawn,

You would probably want the lines flatter than that for a neck (especially the middle and right edge of the pic where the lines are at an angle).

The easiest thing to do is just look at the actual board and find out what the grain is doing.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Ibanez made an RG with a green quilted maple board, i cant think of the model off hand but i know it was a limited edition, prestige, incredibly rare and sexy as hell.......
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar