hey guys, my electric guitar makes a horrible buzzing noise whenever plugged in. The noise gets louder when i touch the strings and quieter when i touch the jack( by jack i mean the part of the input cable that plugs into the guitar).
Can anyone diagnose the problem?
If you know whats wrong with it could you teach me how to fix it?
Cheers!
Sounds like a grounding issue with the pickups.

Can you solder at all?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Yeah I'm pretty handy should be able to do it. Would be good if you could get pictures to show me exactly what to do.
cheers bud
What type of guitar is it? Strat style with a trem or LP with a stoptail? Because that determines where you solder it.

Strat styles with a trem will solder a grounding wire to the back of the trem where the springs are, whereas an LP style with a stoptail will commonly solder it to a pot.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
strat with trem, could you be a little more detailed with your instructions ?
Give us a sec mate, figuring out what guitar you have so I can give you more detailed instructions.

Open up the back cavity of your strat, you should see a wire poking around near the trem. If it's not connected to the solder (there should already be a big heap on there) all you need to do is heat the soldering iron up quite hot to get that large amount melted, stick the wire in and use the solder that's already there to put it in back in place.

Fairly simple fix.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
i had this problem.
the jack was wired the wrong way.
check schematics of wiring for your guitar on the seymur duncan website then choose the style of picksups you have(doesn't have to be seymour duncan pickups. just choose by stlye: HB/ SC/P-90?).
and then compare it to what you see in your guitar. A wire might be worn out or loose or something.
^Not if it's stopping when he touches the strings. From what it sounds like it's clearly a grounding issue.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
its not stopping when i touch the string it gets louder when i touch the strings and quiter ( but still there) when i touch the cable jack
and also i had a look and that cable is soldered on fairly well from the look
Well i'm clearly retarded then and read it wrong, apologies.

Check the cable and input jack. Try another cable and check the input jack for any loose wires.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
OK so i just pulled off the jack(where the input cable plugs into) and the wire that goes to that is old and look just about rooted. So that's my new area of interest. can anyone help me with fixing the wire that goes to the input thingo
Pics?

Might need to just replace the jack as well.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
haha i didn't call you retarded, I'm happy your helping bud sorry for any insult
Nah mate, I called myself retarded all good
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
just getting some pics at the moment. but i believe all it needs is a new wire for the jack any idea where to get one?
You can buy rolls of wire that you can cut to whatever size necessary. Depending on where you live, a Radioshack, JayCar, any kind of electrical shop will have them.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
pictures are ****ing me around so yeh ill just buy some new wire and give it a go. doesn't it matter about the type of wire?
Any kind of single conductor wire should work. Take the wire into the store and get the same type, sorry I can't specify what it is exactly, not an electro-whizz.

Someone else here might know.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore