Ok I love music as much as the next metal head, and my band isn't actually a metal band but that's not the point, the fact is when we write songs we never know what lyrics to put or what they should be about, like a story or some Justin Bieber bullshevik.
Just wondering if you guys had any advise - On my profile there's a jam we did which kind of fizzled out..
Currently tormenting: FleaBass Street bass, Dean Edge 10A PJ, Wesley Acrylic 5, Fender Strat, Ibanez GRG250, H&S 6.
AMPS: Kustom Defender, Laney 300

Officer: How high are you?
My buddy: No officer, it's 'Hi how are you?'
Quote by Artturi
Welp, I've been writing songs for my band Contrust since 2009 and here's a few... "pointers"

-Basically, you should write about things around you, things that interest you, stories you like or that make you sad, depending on the mood of the song. Making a lyric personal to you makes it sound personal to the listener. General stories about struggles etc. are also great.

-Try to make up clever ways to say things, or use phrases or twist those phrases into something unique! You don't wanna do it like some bands do, spend 4 minutes babbling on about something that could have been said in 2 lines! The lyrics should flow, move on.

-Not every lyric needs to be related 100%. Metaphores are always welcome.
Either that or just taking a theme, some kind of environment for the lyric to live in. For an example Kurt Cobain's lyrics on every song on the album In Utero have to do with medical stuff, illnesses. It works!

-Avoid using "baby" "yeah" and all that in the lyric itself, add that stuff when playing live if you feel like it. Excessive use of those words tend to make the lyric as interesting as a damp carpet.

-Then again, repeating something could also be very powerful. Use it with caution though. It's great for refrains.

-THE GOLDEN RULE: Don't write about "rocking". That doesn't rock. Stuff like "i wanna rock and roll all day" is something you shouldn't put in a song, since obviously someone who makes rock songs wants to rock ^^

Does that help?

That was quite a read Yeah, that helps I guess. The only problem is, is that the band is still in school (we're leaving in may then going to music college though) so it's kind of hard to write stuff based on our emotions seeing as they will end up being about hate, and when we're in a good mood we write music and forget lyrics.
Oh and thanks for the repeating advice, we had that problem before with really bad lyrics so we scrapped the song completely
Currently tormenting: FleaBass Street bass, Dean Edge 10A PJ, Wesley Acrylic 5, Fender Strat, Ibanez GRG250, H&S 6.
AMPS: Kustom Defender, Laney 300

Officer: How high are you?
My buddy: No officer, it's 'Hi how are you?'