For some reason, the high e on my acoustic buzzes whenever played open, or on the first fret; the second fret also requires very heavy fretting to play without buzz. This is completely ruining open chords for me; does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing it? I've had problems with this guitar before, in that the 11th fret would buzz alot, and sometimes fretting it would somehow cause the string to instead be fretted at the 12th fret, but that problem's gone away. Replacing the guitar isn't really an option; it's been in my family since the 70's, and my mom probably values it more than our house.
Might need to replace the nut.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
That's kinda what I figured. What information would I need to buy one? Would I have to measure the nut or anything? Also, it's a 12-string, so I'd have to find one that fits that.
sounds like you need to get the neck adjusted. I would take it to a good luthier and have him check it out. How good is the intonation on the guitar?

I had the same problem on a takamine Acoustic guitar and had to get the neck heat pressed and some other expensive shit to get it playing right.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
I'm not sure what you mean by intonation. If you're referring to the tone, it's beautiful; it has a very full sound, even though I only have it strung as a six-string. Also, is there a simpler way to have it fixed than having the neck adjusted? I am in a terrible financial situation right now.
even though I only have it strung as a six-string

There's the problem... It's a 12 string, so the neck is set up to handle the tension of 12 strings... You've got half of that on there now.. so the neck doesn't have enough tension on it.

so yea.. if you're going to use it as a six string, you need to have the neck adjusted...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
There's the problem... It's a 12 string, so the neck is set up to handle the tension of 12 strings... You've got half of that on there now.. so the neck doesn't have enough tension on it.

so yea.. if you're going to use it as a six string, you need to have the neck adjusted...

That depends on if he's gotten it adjusted for 6 strings already or not. This issue is more indicitive of fret-work problems, not neck adjustment problems.

The issue is that the first and second frets are either worn low, or the third fret has popped up a bit and is riding high out of the plane of the fret crown of frets 1 and 2. He's got a few options - either a bit of fret work on #'s 1-3, which would be cheap relatively speaking, or simply raising that string a bit to clear the trouble frets by either A) shimming the nut on the high e side or B) dabbing a bit of high-viscocity super glue or epoxy in the high e string nut slot. I use both options ruitinely to avoid comitting to fret-work, especially on older guitars with uncommon fret sizes.

How would the fret being lower affect an open note?

It isn't a problem with the nut; I tried switching the e to the slot for the second high e (again, tis a 12-string), and it still buzzed. Neck damage is possible; I've never adjusted the tension, it laid around unplayed for several years before I started using it, and it's been exposed to cold for extended periods of time. Is there any way of working around any damage that's been caused, and preventing further damage? Like I said earlier, my financial situation prevents me from having any professional work done.
Last edited by herby190 at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by herby190
How would the fret being lower affect an open note?

I'm just going throug the possibilities with you, but if the open note buzzes and so do frets 1 and 2, then fret 3 is high. Changing nut slots might not fix that problem, especially on a 12-string where the slots are so close and would be so similar, if not identicle, in depth. Neck damage would reflect over a muuuch larger portion of the fretboard, not just a single string for 2 frets. Look at the fret tang on the high E side of the 3rd fret and make sure it hasn't lifted in any way. Fret ends popping out on old fingerboards is extremely common; as the wood dries out from lack of care, the fret slots widen and the tang pops out. That might be whats happening, and that can be fixed at home for under a dollar so long as you've got a c-clamp and a dab of super glue to spare.

EDIT - Preventative care would include regular cleaning and oiling of the fret-board and protecting the guitar from rapid changes in temperature and humidity.
Some really good responses in this thread.

Basically:

1) Make sure your neck is set properly. Fret the first and 12th fret. Take a look at the 6th fret, there should be just enough space there to slide a business card through. Otherwise, you need to adjust the truss rod.

2) If your first few frets are worn down pretty low (as its an older guitar this is likely) you need to have the frets filed and dressed

3) Open string buzz is usually indicative of an issue at the nut. You may have to have a new one filed.
Wow, you guys are awesome; thanks for all the responses. I'll try to cover everything that's been said.

Make sure your neck is set properly. Fret the first and 12th fret. Take a look at the 6th fret, there should be just enough space there to slide a business card through. Otherwise, you need to adjust the truss rod.
I checked, and that seems alright.
2) If your first few frets are worn down pretty low (as its an older guitar this is likely) you need to have the frets filed and dressed
How would I be able to tell?

3) Open string buzz is usually indicative of an issue at the nut. You may have to have a new one filed.
I checked it by switching the high e to the second high e slot, and it still buzzed; it's not an issue with the nut slot.

I'm just going throug the possibilities with you, but if the open note buzzes and so do frets 1 and 2, then fret 3 is high.
It doesn't appear to be higher; would the difference be visibly noticable?