Hey guys, I'm really looking for something that can fit on my desk and record quality sound straight from my guitar, into the interface, and then into my computer.

Currently I am micing my amp with another interface, but it sounds fairly terrible as my amp isn't the greatest. So I feel that it would be a good idea to get something like the Pod that can just go straight to my PC without issues and still sound great.

I'm currently looking at the X3 ($299) or the HD($399), are they worth it? Could anyone with personal experiences with them tell me if they sound at or close to studio quality?

Also, is there enough difference between the HD model and normal X3 model to justify $100?

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I found that a famous youtube guitarist, Chris Feener, uses something from the Pod series for his recordings and they sound great (not sure if he still uses it for his new stuff, though). If he just uses a straight guitar-to-pod-to-pc setup, then I will be more than happy with it.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Last edited by Scopic at Nov 4, 2011,
I'd argue that computer based software modelling (Amplitube, Revalver etc) would get you better sound quality and more flexibility.

If you got yourself a POD would you be likely to use it for live use too?
Quote by kyle62
I'd argue that computer based software modelling (Amplitube, Revalver etc) would get you better sound quality and more flexibility.

If you got yourself a POD would you be likely to use it for live use too?

Most likely not. I'm just looking for something to record at home, straight into my computer, with good quality. I also want to be able to manage effects (distortion, delay, reverb, etc).
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

POD's are handy and they are (to me) better for recording than most software, mainly because they cut way down on CPU usage. And the HD models are a good bit better to my ears. They capture the warmth of a tube amp better than any of the earlier models (they sounded good, just kinda cold and digital-y). Whether that justifies paying the extra 100 bucks is up to you really. In the end it doesn't really matter which you get, I think. Both are good for recording and with enough patience, you can post-edit your way into the tone that you want. Or something that sounds great in a mix anyway.
Quote by Scopic
Most likely not. I'm just looking for something to record at home, straight into my computer, with good quality. I also want to be able to manage effects (distortion, delay, reverb, etc).

I definitely think software is the way to go. If you've already got an interface, plug your guitar into it and try out the Revalver III demo right now:

http://www.peavey.com/products/software/revalver/

That'll let you play about as much as you want, no limits (apart from not being able to save your own presets and a subtle little noise every few minutes). Give it a bash!

Amplitube II, Guitar Rig, Overloud TH1 etc also do demos, the reason I highlighted Revalver is that it's much less restricted, and also one of the the best sounding amp sims out there.

EDIT: Actually, it appears Amplitube III has a fully functional and quite well kitted-out free version now, with a 'gear store' to pay for individual amps/cabs. Seems like a good business model actually! http://ikmultimedia.com/amplitubefree/features/
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 4, 2011,
Thanks guys. I'll try that software with my current interface, but if nothing comes of it I'll spring for the POD.

Thanks again!
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

Software is definitely a great way to go. As far as I know, you can't use the HD to record DIs and load the software as a plugin inside your DAW, so that you don't have to record again if you don't like the tone. You can with the X3 and POD Farm that comes with it. I'm sure there's some sort of way to reamp through the HD, but that's more of a hassle. The HDs DO sound better, though.

I'd really suggest looking into a software instead, though, since you're only planning on using the modeling for recording. I own POD Farm and ReValver and they're both cool softwares, but I honestly haven't used either one for guitar since the TSE X50 came out. X50 is FREE and can sound so close to the real amp (Peavey 6505+), it's crazy.

If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't even buy POD Farm or ReValver, because at this point, they're ~3-400 worth of software that I barely use anymore. If I had to go for a paid software though, it would be Overloud's TH2, definitely. The best paid software modeler out there IMO
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Overloud makes some great software. It's nice to see em get some recognition ReValver's ok. Amp models sound pretty good but I thought the fx were pretty lacking personally. POD Farm.. Eh. It's alright. Recorded with my old band with POD Farm and an old TonePort. The tone was good, but nothing special. Amplitube is pretty good too. I'd say it's probably #2 as far as paid software goes. It has a bit more meat to it for heavier sounds, but the overall tone isn't as good as TH2. ON TO THE FREEBIES!!

TSE's stuff is pretty good. The X50 seems to have a cult following almost lol. There's a few other great ones too: Poulin's LeXtac and Le456, Nick Crow's 8505 and 7170, SimulAnalog's JCM900 (plus a great tube screamer VST).. Really there's just too many to list. These are the one's that shine to me though.. And they're all free.
^I've never been a huge fan of Amplitube or Guitar Rig, honestly. They both sound cheap and plastic to me. Maybe they've gotten better recently

POD Farm probably sounds the most digital of the paid ones - However, it also sits in a mix the best of all of them. There's some tweaks you can do to make it sound more realistic, but the big plus to me is that it's insanely easy to make it sound good with other instruments, whereas plugins like ReValver are much more difficult to get working in a mix. I still use POD Farm for bass modeling, those sound great if done right, but I've been playing with TSE BOD lately and like it as well.

ReValver has a TON of options in it, which makes it extremely tweakable, but also can be really complicated. I'll agree on the effects, not really my cup of tea, but then I don't really use effects on anything to begin with. The big issue with ReValver is that it tends to sound really thin, which turns a lot of people off. There's an easy solution to this though, the Post Gain needs to be cranked up - Then the thinness will completely go away.

TH2 is awesome though, probably the easiest to get a great, convincing, tone out of. It also has its own built in impulse loader, like ReValver, which makes it even more flexible, since the downfall of a lot of the paid software is that their cab models are horrid.

iZotope Trash is also an interesting amp sim. Not nearly as versatile as the other paid programs, but actually quite good once you get used to the interface.

I've used the Poulin, Nick Crow, AcmeBarGig, TSE X30, etc. and I've honestly never gotten a sound out of them that I really liked. I've heard some GREAT recordings with them, but whenever I try them, they've never really impressed me, besides X50. I'll have to play around with them some more, it's been a while.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Never used the iZotope sim. I've used their Ozone plugin on just about everything for the past year or so though. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a "complete" mastering solution, but overall it's extremely useful.

Amplitube 3 made some big steps tone-wise. Overloud is clearly better in my opinion, but Amplitube can definitely get some good sounds. I love the feel of TH1 and TH2 overall. They've got more of a "control room" feel than any of the others (except maybe POD Farm).

As far as the freebies, all of them have their advantages IMO. AcmeBarGig is really wonderful for blues, classic rock and old-school metal (Plexi sound). The rest.. You really need an overdrive in front of them for them to sound their best. I LOVE LeXtac and the JCM900 from SA. With the overdrive from SA, both of them sound just massive.
I'm not a fan of Overloud at all to be honest!

If I had to rank all the paid modellers out there from best to worst (in sound quality/feel) it'd probably look something like this:

Vintage Amp Room
Revalver III
Vandal
Amplitube 3.5
Overloud TH2
Waves GTR3
Guitar Rig 4

They all have their strengths and weaknesses though; you can create some amazing unique sounds in GR4, and GTR is good for getting a polished, 'mixed' tone quickly.
^Really? I have GTR3 and it's one of my least favorite modelers ever

I haven't tried Vandal yet, it looks interesting, but the clips on the site don't really impress me much. I've heard some great things about the Vintage Amp Room, but the price is pretty extreme for only 3 models, even right now with the 50% off from Softube.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm partial to the HD 500. It sounds pretty freaking good direct and live going through a high quality sound system. I think the magic really starts happening when you add impulse responses to the sound. The impulses in the pod are pretty good, but not nearly as good as say redwirez. Earlier tonight I did some experimenting with Brandon from recordingreview.com. We compared tracks using the pod with the built in impulses, pod with custom impulses, guitar rig 4 with custom impulses, amplitube 3 with custom impulses, and a 5150 running through a boogie 4x12 using a royer ribbon mic to capture the tone. The pod with the custom impulses was by FAR the best sounding to our ears. With that being said, we were running through an API preamp, but I record with my HD 500 all the time and get great results. The software was completely unusable without the custom impulses. I think that it would be worth your while to pass on the x3, as the modeling has improved by far since it's release. That's just my 2 cents though. Happy recording! Cheers!