I have a specific question regarding vibrato, Should it come from my fingers, or is the motion supposed to come from my wrist? I watch people play guitar, and it always seems like their wrist is doing most of the work as opposed to the finger. When I'm adding vibrato there is almost no wrist motion. Also, could I get an explanation of the motion of the wrist regarding vibrato?

Thanks
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
I can't get a good vibrato sound from my wrist. I can only do it from my fingers.

But who gives a damn how it's done? As long as you get the sound you want, then why does it matter? People always trying to get perfect technique bugs the crap out of me. Each to their own, obviously, but just play the damn thing!
When doing a bend with vibrato, the action comes from the wrist.

When playing straight vibrato I also use finger motion as an accent. But the textbook technique is also pure wrist.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I can't get a good vibrato sound from my wrist. I can only do it from my fingers.

But who gives a damn how it's done? As long as you get the sound you want, then why does it matter? People always trying to get perfect technique bugs the crap out of me. Each to their own, obviously, but just play the damn thing!

I suppose people might want to ask what the "proper" way to do it is because otherwise they could spend months playing a certain way then realise that they hit a wall because the way they tried to do it was wrong all along (well maybe not wrong, but why spend ages trying to perfect a technique a certain way when a more efficient and scaleable way of doing it is around?). And some people are just generally interested in technique..

I often ask questions like this (well OK, to be honest I usually ask my good friend google) because a) I'm interested in developing good technique and b) I seem quite susceptible to RSI so developing "proper" technique is my best option to avoid it.

In terms of answering the question (sorry got a bit distracted) I tend to rock my wrist side to side, although occasionally use my fingers depending on where the vibrato is. Bend vibrato is entirely in my fingers but that could be because I always bend with my thumb behind the neck.

In terms of vibrato on a note (rather than on bends), if you vibrato by going side to side (effectively pulling the string left and right) you'll get vibrato that goes between slightly sharp and slightly flat as it causes the string to tense and loosen (where pulling it towards the neck causes it to tighten resulting in a sharper pitch and pulling it towards the bridge loosens it causing a flatter pitch). This will generally average around the note you are vibrato-ing. If you vibrato just using your fingers, chances are you're moving the string up and down rather than pulling it left and right. This causes the note to vary between normal and slightly sharp, averaging it out as being slightly sharp.

To be honest though, the "slighlty sharp" vibratos aren't, imho, any noticably better or worse than flat/sharp vibratos, they just sound a bit different.
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by llBlackenedll
I suppose people might want to ask what the "proper" way to do it is because otherwise they could spend months playing a certain way then realise that they hit a wall because the way they tried to do it was wrong all along (well maybe not wrong, but why spend ages trying to perfect a technique a certain way when a more efficient and scaleable way of doing it is around?). And some people are just generally interested in technique..

I often ask questions like this (well OK, to be honest I usually ask my good friend google) because a) I'm interested in developing good technique and b) I seem quite susceptible to RSI so developing "proper" technique is my best option to avoid it.

Oh yeah I definitely agree on what you're saying. It's just seems that so many guitarists are afraid to actually experiment and try to find new ways of doing things. It seems as though there are set rules of how you should do things instead of just playing and figuring out what works for you.
I am trying to feel then if it is in the wrist or in fingers. For beginners, this is really a hard one.
Last edited by padycustom at Nov 17, 2011,
Mine comes primarily from the wrist basically 100% of the time. I personally prefer to hear and use a wide vibrato (if you're not sure what that term is, think Zakk Wylde, Yngwie, etc.) and I couldn't imagine that coming from the fingers. If I'm going for a subtler vibrato then occasionally I'll use just fingers, but in general I prefer using the bar for that sort of accent. In general I find narrower vibratos to be annoying and weak (Kirk Hammett for example), but that's just personal preference.

The best motion I can think of is that it'd be kind of like turning a doorknob back and forth about halfway. It's the kind of thing you'd have to try out yourself to really get a feel for, though. Just make sure it's even, meaning you're moving the string to basically the same place every time; otherwise it won't sound like vibrato so much as it'll sound like a bunch of inaccurate bends.
Quote by son_of_bodom
I have a specific question regarding vibrato, Should it come from my fingers, or is the motion supposed to come from my wrist? I watch people play guitar, and it always seems like their wrist is doing most of the work as opposed to the finger. When I'm adding vibrato there is almost no wrist motion.

The motion should come from the wrist, so the hand moves as one whole unit. It creates the illusion that the fingers are moving, but they aren't.
Also, could I get an explanation of the motion of the wrist regarding vibrato?

Like turning a door knob, or key to open a door or start a car.

Do this motion away from the guitar, then take your hand to the guitar and do the exact same thing. Now fret a note on the G string with the 3rd finger, with the 1st and 2nd behind it as support.

Rotate (from the wrist) so that your fingers will pull the string downwards, although remember, it's not actually your fingers that are moving. Then return the string to it's original position by letting the tension naturally pull the string back to rest, i.e don't push it back up to it's original position, let it go at it's own accord.

Repeat slowly, and under control. Try not to flatten the pre-knuckles. Keep them bent.
Practicing my door knob turning as we speak.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
For me the vibrato comes from my wrist. I more or less just give it a good shake, but not too much or it sounds like I just don 't know how to make a good bend. My note bends almost alwyas come from my fingers.