Hey drummers!

As a guitarist and part time drummer I've been recently wondering how you drummers learn songs, like what I do is coz I listen to music loads, I always whenever just listening to music, either with my fingers or my hands I will play the drums for the song on my desk or whatever it is I'm at, so then once I get to a drumkit all I need to do is maybe play the beat like once or twice and then I'm ready to play the whole song.

So how do you 'professional' (joke) drummers learn songs??
I do the same thing as you mentioned and it works fine for me. My best friend is one of the best drummers I know and he's constantly tapping and working on foot technique. Whatever works for you man!
learn the structure of the song and what grooves/beats go where and just play it.

But more recently I've been mapping out the chord progression or riffs and play along to that.

For example I'll write:

Am Em D Em x4

Verse:

Am D Em D x6

And so on, you get the idea. Helps me follow the instrumentation easier and makes placing fills easier too.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
I've never played real drums before (I messed around on Rock Band) and I'm always playing air drums like you mentioned, either tapping along on a desk or trying to keep up with my foot. Maybe I should try them out
Air drumming.

I just figure out all the parts by ear while listening to the song then try actually playing along to it once I'm fairly confident of all the changes and such, works fine for the most part.
Quote by Nathy137
Hey drummers!

So how do you 'professional' (joke) drummers learn songs??

How does an illerate jackass afford a computer.

Must be all the money you saved buying an Epiphone and an MG.

Go troll the guitar forums.
Last edited by leo4sf at Nov 4, 2011,
You mad bro? Sounded to me like he didn't want to look stupid by asking a question he wanted a clarified answer for, and he wanted to be chill about it.
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Quote by leo4sf

You said it man!!! ))
If I have time I listen to the song, play it through even through difficult parts by just simplifying the fills. I then take it apart bit by bit

If I don't have much time to learn the song, I just try to improvise the difficult parts with difficult improvised parts that fit.

I just repeat the song over and over until I know the sequences.
Quote by leo4sf

Wow... so I guess I can't have a little joke now can I....?

Sounds like you can't take a joke mate so chill about it
Personally, I listen to the song several times, watch the drummer play it live, then tab out the harder parts (fills, solos). Usually just by playing with it through my i-pod I can get a good grasp of the position of snare versus bass and find everything else in between.