Ive been playing guitar for over 8 years now. I have a jackson RR5 with emg 81 85s in it and a bc rich mockingbird with emgs too. I recently bought a peavey Valveking on ebay like an idiot and it came in the mail broken. Ive played sooooo many types of amps, mashalls, mesa, peavey, randall, line 6, ext ext ext and they all sound like crap to me. I have a piece of crap 1x12 Crate thats like 6 years old and puts out better sounds than any mesa ive heard (with my pedals in front of it) i dont know i think my sound is just really different. My biggest influences to my sound are Josh middleton of sylosis, John pettruci of dream theater (from my home town), oli herbert of All that remains, and matt heafy of trivium. ive played 6505s and to me they sound like crap. there gain is so grainy and staticy sounding for a lack of a better word.

All i want is a 1 channel amp (head or combo) with nothing on it just a 3 band eq, volume and maybe an fx loop and hasss to have a realllly nice clean. and not the marhsall class 5 i need at least 60-100 watts. all im gonna do is through my distortions overdrives and effects and whatnot in front of it.

i have a boss metal zone, boss 8 band eq, ibanez tubescreamer, and a boss dd-3. i will also be getting a noise gate either the mxr smart gate or the boss ns2 and a boss reverb too. like i said before i have a crate (piece of crap) that sounds better than any mesa or peavey ive heard with my pedals in front, deffinatly not as loud tho lol. oh and i also have no preference between solid state and tubes, i play mostly at "bedroom level". im really lost at what to do right now so if anyone could just throw down some suggestions that would be awsome, thanks alot -brian
jet city 20 watt combo.
egnater tweaker.

try those with a couple of your favorite pedals and report back.

edit: you need 60-100 watts and mostly play in your bedroom. ok, yea. budget?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 4, 2011,
So you have a metal zone and you think the 6505 is grainy?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by besure917
i have a boss metal zone

This is why your POS Crate sounds better than a Mesa or 6505. Dump this, stick with the Tubescreamer, and try those amps again. If you absolutely have to have more distortion (which you really shouldn't with either of those amps), go with something like the Hardwire Metal Distortion.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
If you play metal but hate all Mesa, Marshall, Peavey and Randall amps, nobody can help you ever.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
hey he likes the metal zone and hates mesa/marshall/peavey and randall. so what?

go with it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If thats the case though, no reason to buy a new amp. Just stick with the toanez that destroys mesa.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
TS you're insane, give up guitar and go play drums or sumthin
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by gregs1020

egnater tweaker.

There you go. If you can't get a great sound out of a Tweaker you need to go to Hearing 101.
Quote by besure917
Ive been playing guitar for over 8 years now. I have a jackson RR5 with emg 81 85s in it and a bc rich mockingbird with emgs too. I recently bought a peavey Valveking on ebay like an idiot and it came in the mail broken. Ive played sooooo many types of amps, mashalls, mesa, peavey, randall, line 6, ext ext ext and they all sound like crap to me. I have a piece of crap 1x12 Crate thats like 6 years old and puts out better sounds than any mesa ive heard (with my pedals in front of it) i dont know i think my sound is just really different. My biggest influences to my sound are Josh middleton of sylosis, John pettruci of dream theater (from my home town), oli herbert of All that remains, and matt heafy of trivium. ive played 6505s and to me they sound like crap. there gain is so grainy and staticy sounding for a lack of a better word.

All i want is a 1 channel amp (head or combo) with nothing on it just a 3 band eq, volume and maybe an fx loop and hasss to have a realllly nice clean. and not the marhsall class 5 i need at least 60-100 watts. all im gonna do is through my distortions overdrives and effects and whatnot in front of it.

i have a boss metal zone, boss 8 band eq, ibanez tubescreamer, and a boss dd-3. i will also be getting a noise gate either the mxr smart gate or the boss ns2 and a boss reverb too. like i said before i have a crate (piece of crap) that sounds better than any mesa or peavey ive heard with my pedals in front, deffinatly not as loud tho lol. oh and i also have no preference between solid state and tubes, i play mostly at "bedroom level". im really lost at what to do right now so if anyone could just throw down some suggestions that would be awsome, thanks alot -brian

ok wait you got a valveking that was broken but did you get it fixed and try it? a POS Crate with a Metal Zone sounds better than a Mesa? dude you're kidding right? i'm not getting the feeling that you have a handle on getting a good tone from these amps. i'm thinking that you don't understand that the guys you mentioned use less distortion than you might think (especially petrucci.) a tube amp with a nice distortion sound plus an overdrive should work just fine. in this case you'd want a 2 channel amp so you can have a decent clean and distortion sound. kick theoverdrive on for leads and bam you're golden.
Fender Twin Reverb

Not the Re-issue stuff... Mine's been workin' it's ass off since 1974

I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by s31770

This. (or some variation of it)

You don't really need the OD pedal but it can compress the sound a bit and is a good boost.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
hahaha i knew i was gonna get responses like this bashing my metalzone lol. Ive played MARK V's and there amaazzinngggg but i dont wanna throw down 2.500 for one lol. idk i just cant find my tone and ive played soooo many amps. peaveys sound really 'grainy' to me. and i was looking at that marshall jcm800 but idk. i played 1 randall (my friends) sounded alright cant remember the model tho. is there an amp out there with 2 channels; clean and the mesa markv's extreme sound or something simaliar? and no im not quitting guitar, not too be cocky but i am really good.