Maybe they want to release tension in muscles in or around their hand?

Or they're just stressed out?
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Hehe... Balls... :-)

I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
You can also use a thing called a Powerball. It will strenghten your fingers, wrist and muscles in the forearm. I use it and it does help.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Quote by Gulli05
You can also use a thing called a Powerball. It will strenghten your fingers, wrist and muscles in the forearm. I use it and it does help.

It won't help. They are a waste of money. Playing guitar is completely different to using a powerball, completely different recruitment patterns.

Infact, using one could increase the chance of an RSI as you are using your wrist even more. My advice is to give your wrists a rest when your not playing guitar.
Quote by mrbabo91
It won't help. They are a waste of money. Playing guitar is completely different to using a powerball, completely different recruitment patterns.

Infact, using one could increase the chance of an RSI as you are using your wrist even more. My advice is to give your wrists a rest when your not playing guitar.

I wasn't recommending using one all the time. I only meant from time to time and it will help strenghten your wrists and fingers and grip.

I believe there are even doctors that recommend using it (at a slower pace) as a treatment against carpal tunnel syndrome and rsi.

I could be wrong though, I don't use it much more now.
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Last edited by Gulli05 at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by Gulli05
I wasn't recommending using one all the time. I only meant from time to time and it will help strenghten your wrists and fingers and grip.

I believe there are even doctors that recommend using it (at a slower pace) as a treatment against carpal tunnel syndrome and rsi.

Well, Tennis Balls and Powerballs both have the same benefits against RSI/Carpal.
When I started I got a lot of carpal pain in my wrist and stopped playing for 2 or 3 weeks.
I bought a tennis ball and I keep it on my desk when I'm left waiting at the PC.
I also own a powerball I got as a gift from someone.
I don't use them now really, my wrists are strong enough now.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
Well, Tennis Balls and Powerballs both have the same benefits against RSI/Carpal.
When I started I got a lot of carpal pain in my wrist and stopped playing for 2 or 3 weeks.
I bought a tennis ball and I keep it on my desk when I'm left waiting at the PC.
I also own a powerball I got as a gift from someone.
I don't use them now really, my wrists are strong enough now.

I bought a powerball because I was having some pains in my right wrist which felt like I needed to strenghten it. I used a powerball for a week or two and now I don't have that anymore.
And with these wings

-Symphony X
It's worth noting that you must not use these while in pain, only after to prevent it....

As a general rule: If you feel pain to the extend of discomfort, stop. It's okay to feel a little as your muscles adjust to new patterns and stretches.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
It's worth noting that you must not use these while in pain, only after to prevent it....

As a general rule: If you feel pain to the extend of discomfort, stop. It's okay to feel a little as your muscles adjust to new patterns and stretches.

That's a good rule to follow and I do follow that rule.
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Quote by deluxity
It could be a way of warming up or just relaxing the muscles after you play

Basically this. Not necessarily speaking from a guitarist's standpoint, since I'm only playing bass actively now, but I've found, particularly in my plucking hand, it loosens/warms my fingers right up (especially on those cold days!) Plus, I'm a naturally nervous person and it's nice to have something to concentrate on.

It's not going to affect you a ton, but if you notice yourself tensing up your picking hand or just generally stressing yourself, anything that'll calm you down and/or warm up your muscles should be welcome.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.