Does anyone have a good reference I could use or look up for this. I'm learning Buried Alive by A7X for my friend cause I promised her I would learn it for her but my finger picking is not so good.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
I believe there's a series of books that teach you to play in the style of specific artists, so if you can find ones teaching you to play like Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple) or Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits), they should have advice on fingerpicking. Fingerstyle technique does tend to vary a bit from person to person. For example if you watch Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scott's, you'll notice in a lot of songs he holds the whammy bar with his fingers and just uses his thumb, and switches to thumb and fingers for faster or more complex parts. On the other hand, Blackmore tends to use his thumb for the bottom three strings, then first finger for the G string, second for B and third for high E. I think it's something that you should learn the basic technique of and then with practice you gravitate towards hand positions and technique that feels most comfortable for you, rather than just using what a book or video tells you. That's how I learned, though it took quite a while.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
It may be worthwhile to look up the lesson on youtube.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
It's most likely hybrid-picked, not finger-picked.

But as a saying goes,

"Finger-picking may look impressive but requires little or no actual talent"
Have a gander at Mark Hanson's Beyond Basics: Fingerstyle Guitar and then after completing that one, check out his next book The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking.

What I did was learn a few of my favourite fingerstyle songs to the best of my ability at that point, like Stairway to Heaven for example, and then played them over and over again. After some time I purchased the above books and worked through them. It really helped my fingerstyle technique. Another thing is DON'T TRY TO COPY SOMEONE ELSE'S TECHNIQUE!!!
Sure take their advice on avoiding bad habits but find a suitable hand position for you and stick with that. Practice daily and you'll eventually get the hang of Fingerstyle Guitar.
"Finger-picking may look impressive but requires little or no actual talent"

Tell that to the myrid of amazing players who have developed it strongly and use it for polyphony (especially those who play classical, latin and jazz styles).
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by Brainpolice2
Tell that to the myrid of amazing players who have developed it strongly and use it for polyphony (especially those who play classical, latin and jazz styles).

I play classical styles. Yes, it's easy to learn. But difficult to master, as is anything else, but some things are far harder to learn than this.
Well I looked at a few live video's of the song an Syn finger picks the whole intro. This style is new to me since I never played or tried playing anything with finger picking in it up until now.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Austin174
Well I looked at a few live video's of the song an Syn finger picks the whole intro. This style is new to me since I never played or tried playing anything with finger picking in it up until now.

Considering you can't finger pick I am inclined to ask whether you know what hybrid picking is, do you?
No I actually really don't since most of the time I use my pick but be my guess to teach me since I want to learn.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Austin174
No I actually really don't since most of the time I use my pick but be my guess to teach me since I want to learn.

Hybrid-picking is the combination of using a pick and fingers, effectively allowing you to play finger-picked passages without getting rid of your pick.
the passage IS fully fingerpicked, if youve never fingerpicked before i suggest starting with just basic scales until your fingers are used to it before learning a fairly difficult passage for a novice. Walk before you run grasshopper.
Gear
-Shecter Omen 6 Extreme
-Yamaha JX20SC Acoustic
-Roland : Cube 80x
Wishlist
-Mbox recording hardware
-Fender Stratocaster (American Standard)
-Boss Overdrive pedal
Quote by moose1512
the passage IS fully fingerpicked, if youve never fingerpicked before i suggest starting with just basic scales until your fingers are used to it before learning a fairly difficult passage for a novice. Walk before you run grasshopper.

It's not that it' hard I jut never finger picked before. Also you can learn anything if you practice it slow an build it up .
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112