Page 1 of 2
I've seen a few Ibanez custom creations and they're fantastic in every respect, but I don't want to think about how much they cost. Ditto Jackson and PRS. Any custom shop can do magnificent work, but you'll pay for it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
If price is a consideration you’re better off going with a custom guitar by a great luthier. The big brands don’t want to keep growing the custom shops, so any time demand rises, prices rice with it.
Too many to mention. Of course, great as they all may be, they're still pretty different. You'd have to try out a couple of guitars to see who's products you like best.
first you have to ask yourself why you need a custom shop guitar. what doesn't a production model have that you feel you need. a better idea about what you are playing and your current gear would help get you a better answer.
Quote by FatalGear41

no that just says you can't order one. they are still making them.

but blackmachien and hufschmidt.

suhr is good if you need to play some blues every once in a while too.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Nov 4, 2011,
I don't know where you at but I'd look at Carvin Custom shop. Their prices won't scare you away cause they cut out the middle man and sell directly to you.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by AcousticMirror
no that just says you can't order one. they are still making them.

but blackmachien and hufschmidt.

suhr is good if you need to play some blues every once in a while too.

I'm afraid they're currently making a very few guitars and offering them to all of the people who put their names on a waiting list for guitars. Those people will get first refusal, and if nobody takes it, then it would be made available on the open market. Once the company runs out of the stock of exotic woods they currently have; that's it. At this time, there is no plan to restore Blackmachine guitars to any sort of regular production.

Very sad to lose a great guitar company.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
I'm afraid they're currently making a very few guitars and offering them to all of the people who put their names on a waiting list for guitars. Those people will get first refusal, and if nobody takes it, then it would be made available on the open market. Once the company runs out of the stock of exotic woods they currently have; that's it. At this time, there is no plan to restore Blackmachine guitars to any sort of regular production.

Very sad to lose a great guitar company.

wut. noooooooooo

....No they just won't all be built by Doug. Blackmachine will just be getting bigger.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
wut. yaaaaaaay

Quote by n1ckn1ce
Carvin or Schecter

or jackson i love jackson or may-bay a dean
Carvin would be my choice for a custom guitar on a budget. Or if you're handy yourself and want to care take in the process then by all mean go Warmoth.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Tom 1.0
....No they just won't all be built by Doug. Blackmachine will just be getting bigger.

Which, while mildly irritating, will make them more affordable to the general market. Hopefully they wont sacrifice much in the way of quality for price, but based on what I've heard about Doug, there's a **** all chance of that happening.

TS there are far too many options to give you a real response. Just google some luthiers and email them asking about options.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Someone mentioned Caparison earlier, should mention that they went bankrupt in May (well, their parent company did, the workers pooled money and bought it, plans to re-launch sometime in early to mid 2012).

As for the best, there really isn't one, it all depends on what you want. Find a local guy like I did (and many have suggested), see what they have to say and build from there, best advice I can give.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by JustRooster
No more Caparison!? Well shit.

They'll be back.

Maybe.

I don't really care, they were horrifically overpriced anyway.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

If you're in the U.S. Imma hafta throw Carvin another vote for a look. Maybe a DC or even a CS/CT.
Ill throw a vote for ESP
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by Dellinger1988
Ill throw a vote for ESP

I would have, but they definitely fail the "prices" criteria.

From what I've seen though, their CS guys are ridiculous.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would go with Vik, I've heard from someone with a BlackMachine that Vik's stuff is easily on par with Doug's.

I've also put an order in with Vik and if you want you check my build thread out in the building section.

Here's some of his work.

that is gprgeous!
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
If you have enough money, PRS Private Stock or Gibson Custom Shop but you'll need a lot of money for that....
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by Mehtabb
I would go with Vik, I've heard from someone with a BlackMachine that Vik's stuff is easily on par with Doug's.

I've also put an order in with Vik and if you want you check my build thread out in the building section.

Here's some of his work.

Isn't Vik pretty booked up for the next year or so? What with the Saviour run, Tosin's build, Bulb's build, etc?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

If you're willing to pay anything then ESP. They can make insane guitars but they also charge insane amounts for custom builds. You can easily run into five figures just for a fairly basic one, I've read reports on the ESP forums of a few custom models running over thirty grand.
Quote by grohl1987
If you're willing to pay anything then ESP. They can make insane guitars but they also charge insane amounts for custom builds. You can easily run into five figures just for a fairly basic one, I've read reports on the ESP forums of a few custom models running over thirty grand.

Where were you hearing that ?

Not long ago I saw a quite for like 5 grand for a pretty elaborate build.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Like I said dude, ESP forums. It's the crazy stuff in Japan. In fact just look up the Japanese ESP custom shop site.

If you want a custom build that's even a basic super strat they start you off at about six or seven thousand and go up from there. So it's easy to see how when you get gold leafed angels wing motifs and pickups hidden under veeners and 26.15" scale lengths and shit how you can hit five figures easily. Hell they charge an extra four hundred just for block inlays instead of dots.
Quote by digman50
If you have enough money, PRS Private Stock or Gibson Custom Shop but you'll need a lot of money for that....

Gibson no longer builds one-offs.
Quote by jpnyc
Gibson no longer builds one-offs.

yea they do. its just harder to get in contact with the custom shop in terms of one offs. but you can totally do it if you know the right peopke and have enough money
Any custom shop guitar is going to be pretty much awesome, hence why you're paying so much. Top quality stuff, craftsmenship, etc.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Page 1 of 2