Hi guys,

My band at the moment is playing mostly modern rock songs like The Foo Fighters' Wasting Light. I love Dave Grohl's tone on this album and many of the other Foos albums and was wondering is there any way to get in the ballpark of his tone on a budget? I'm thinking amps/pedals to get near his sound but preferably under £500-600.

Any suggestions?
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Wasting Light is tricky because there's so much going on.

You could probably get close with a Vox AC30 though. Although I don't think he's using one for dirt anymore but it'll get you into the ball park I'd think because Chris uses AC30's.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Wasting Light is tricky because there's so much going on.

You could probably get close with a Vox AC30 though. Although I don't think he's using one for dirt anymore but it'll get you into the ball park I'd think because Chris uses AC30's.

If you've got an axe with humbuckers you could probably saturate an AC30 to the point where you would be in the ballpark (and even if it doesn't get you there, you'll still have great tone imo). If you're on single coils, I think there's no other piece of gear in the world that'll get you there.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Anything that can give a good crunch tone and clean up nicely when you turn your guitar's volume down will do it. AC30 would be a good idea.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm using high-output buckers so I should be able to drive the amp hard enough.

Didn't Dave used to use a ProCo RAT to add more gain to his AC30s?
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
you could just hire that dude on accidentally on purpose

seriously, though, i'm no gigantic foos fan (i have nothing against them), but i seem to remember ac30s being mentioned a lot, and rectos.

ac30 shouldn't be too hard to do on a budget (laney vc30? maybe even could swing a chinese ac30 for that much), but a recto will be a lot harder to do
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Laney Vc50.

Lush bell like cleans and then bucket loads of gain. There is one dirt cheap on eBay right now.

Dave never used a Recto, he used a roadking which is like every Mesa ever in one amp.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Can't give a recommendation on the amp, but I know he uses that one ES-335 all the time. (ZOMG IS THE K FOR KURT??????) I couldn't tell you what pickups either. But I know he used the ES-335 for the majority of Wasting Light so yeah.

Aren't I so helpful?
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Thanks for all the help guys. Which would be better then, the Laney VC30 or LC30?
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
i think the vc30 probably sounds closer to an ac30.

That's not to say it sounds identical or anything like that.

EDIT: ah right a roadking Thanks tom
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
agreed.

just a shame the laney prices have shot way up. the vc30 was killer when it was £300.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My ****ing vc50 is currently £220.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
He mentioned that a majority of crunch was from an AC30 turned right up. They used a Rat for layering another different sounding part and stuff like that. I don't know about Wasting Light. Dave's touring rig (going off of pictures) is pretty different from his past rig. I do remember him mentioning Dual Rectifiers in past interviews.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Nov 5, 2011,
Yeah i know he used to AB between a Dual Rec and an AC30 but switched to a Roadking at some point.

How does the VC30 compare to the AC30VR?
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Quote by Tom 1.0
My ****ing vc50 is currently £220.

yeah used prices have kinda gone way down
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, most recent live rig looks like this...

http://i56.tinypic.com/5vt55j.jpg
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by Juared
Can't give a recommendation on the amp, but I know he uses that one ES-335 all the time. (ZOMG IS THE K FOR KURT??????) I couldn't tell you what pickups either. But I know he used the ES-335 for the majority of Wasting Light so yeah.

Aren't I so helpful?

Thats not an ES-335. Thats a Trini, very rare one at that. Only 11 or so made in that color, I believe he has 2, and one in red.

EDIT: Unless you are talking about his sig. model, the DG335. That is a Trini Body/Neck and a 335 StopBar tailpiece. So its kind of a 335, but he uses those live mostly.

Decent output Humbucker guitar>ProCo Rat>Vox AC30. Should get you there, I think he also liked to use a Mesa RoadKing.
Last edited by Wylde_Life at Nov 5, 2011,
I'm going to go out a limb here and recommend the Laney LC50. One of my friends has one, as does the famous Burgs666 on YouTube, and they are fantastic little tone monsters. Perfect for that Grohl / rock tone. It's got a few channels too and a neat platform for pedals. They should be pretty cheap up in the UK I think. In terms of effects you really cannot beat a simple boost pedal and an m9. If you can't afford the M9 then I'd suggest some cheap pedals.