So my high E and (sometimes) my B strings sometimes catch on on the 2nd and 3rd fret. I've narrowed it down to a truss rod issue. I've been fiddling around with the rod after reading the directions/watching a few videos on how to adjust, but the rod doesn't move easily and turns in either direction. I can't think of anything else that could be wrong?

Any help would be appreciated...
Quote by devourke
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Well Taz is just full retard
I think you'll find that the more acceptable term is "australian"

Funniest Exchange i've read on UG

I would have consensual relations with Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Call me Dean or Vill
what do you mean?
is there a buzz noise coming while playing the strings?
Take your guitar to a local music store, and maybe they will help you getting it fixed.
the problem could be that the frets are not seated correctly. if they're too high, you'll keep hitting 'em, and messing with the truss rod aimlessly has probably adjusted things so your neck relief is now way off.

here's info about truss rod adjustment
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I've narrowed it down to a truss rod issue.

How?

and turns in either direction.

It's supposed to. One way tightens, the other loosens.
Quote by patticake
the problem could be that the frets are not seated correctly. if they're too high, you'll keep hitting 'em, and messing with the truss rod aimlessly has probably adjusted things so your neck relief is now way off.

here's info about truss rod adjustment
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

I wasn't necessarily doing Aimlessly. I did quarter turns one way, it made it worse, then back to the starting point, then a quarter the other way, and it pretty much did nothing. I'd continually stop during turns to see if the sound improved. I finally got it improved a bit, but i'm likely going to take it to a shop tomorrow

Quote by tom183

It's supposed to. One way tightens, the other loosens.

Twas a typo, lol. was supposed to say "for turns" not "and turns". I meant that it is really hard to turn
Quote by devourke
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Well Taz is just full retard
I think you'll find that the more acceptable term is "australian"

Funniest Exchange i've read on UG

I would have consensual relations with Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Call me Dean or Vill
Last edited by Villearreal92 at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by Villearreal92
So my high E and (sometimes) my B strings sometimes catch on on the 2nd and 3rd fret. I've narrowed it down to a truss rod issue. I've been fiddling around with the rod after reading the directions/watching a few videos on how to adjust, but the rod doesn't move easily and turns in either direction. I can't think of anything else that could be wrong?

Any help would be appreciated...

Just so you know, the truss rod won't have much effect on the frets at that point of the neck. It's sole duty is to counteract the pull of the strings on the neck, and while it's doing that, is able to maintain neck relief(read that as curvature of the fretboard) inward or out. The farther you get away from fret 7 the less of an effect the truss rod will have on the fretboard. What you're describing sounds much more like raised frets, or perhaps worn ones that the strings are catching in than an issue with the truss rod needing adjustment.
What you're describing sounds much more like raised frets, or perhaps worn ones that the strings are catching in than an issue with the truss rod needing adjustment.

This.