Page 1 of 4
So I'm going to make a pretty long trip on monday. I'm going from Sweden to Germany to northern Brazil, a 33 hour trip. It's my first time flying so I'm wondering if you guys have any particularly helpful tips.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Eat some food that doesn't agree with you then go and spend at least 3 of those 33 hours destroying the toilet.
1) Don't sit next to a woman.
2) Don't sit anywhere within 4 rows of that woman if she's with her baby.
3) Put in earplugs, preferably with a cord so you can yank em out easily when somebody askes you if you want a snack or a beverage.
4a) Bring your own entertainment or endure the same shit movies over and over again.
4b) Sometimes you cannot bring your own entertainment. That's what the flight attendants are for
5) Sleep.

That ought to do it.
Don't get too close to the sun or the wax will melt off and it won't end well.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Sleeping medicine.

As wrong as it sounds, seriously. You'll appreciate it.

Also: For the love of God, do NOT look at the flight time on the screens. They will ALWAYS bring you extreme disappointment and a desire to hurt something. Just my two cents.

And for one last tip, get through customs as fast as possible. It's not worth spending an extra 15 minutes in line because you didn't feel like walking fast.
Last edited by Kevin19 at Nov 4, 2011,
Make sure the plane stays in the air.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Kensai
So I'm going to make a pretty long trip on monday. I'm going from Sweden to Germany to northern Brazil, a 33 hour trip. It's my first time flying so I'm wondering if you guys have any particularly helpful tips.

You drunk? What kind of a shitty plane flies for 33 hours?

And yes, I do understand it's from Germany to Brazil
There isn't really much for you to know. You may get a bit anxious during take off and landing, but for the majority of the flight thereafter it should be fairly dull. I'd recommend bringing a good book with you.
Sleep.
If you ask and you're lucky, you may get to go into the cockpit.
Bring some gum to chew because your ears will need to pop.
Last edited by Extra Ordinary at Nov 4, 2011,
TAKE AN iPOD. And don't sit near a baby, you will go insane.

Lots of sleep.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Bring your gameboy and lots of batteries.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Zeletros

i think whole trip is 33hrs not only flying
Quote by Zeletros

Layovers count too, I think.

Quote by Extra Ordinary

cockpit.

lol
Some good advice, thanks guys

I guess the biggest worry I have is being bored. The Frankfurt-Rio De Janeiro flight is nearly 13 hours. Luckily I got a window seat and a good friend is sitting next to me. I think you can play games on their screens but I have a tendency of getting bored quick.

Guess I'll get some ear plugs and such. I got wet napkins, tooth paste, moisturizer and handwash thing in my hand luggage in those small bottles. But with a laptop and a book I'm not sure how much my backpack will weigh. It's 5 kg max.

Quote by Zeletros

You mean super-awesome plane?

The trip total is 33 hours, including 3 stops and waiting at termals. I think the total flight time is 25 hours or so.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
My Icarus joke was missed/ignored
A SIGNATURE.
It can sometimes be hard to sleep on a plane, even if you want to, so I suggest taking some books.

Have a nice time
condoms have a spermatocide kinda lube on them, which means that it kills sperm cells, so you can't use sperm from a condom.

I'm not sure if that applies to all condoms though
Edit: wat ^

Quote by Extra Ordinary
Sleep.
If you ask and you're lucky, you may get to go into the cockpit.
Bring some gum to chew because your ears will need to pop.

lol nah, big nah. Do you really think they'll let people into the cockpit with all the shit that's gone on in the last 10 years?

Last edited by Trowzaa at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by ComradSputnik
condoms have a spermatocide kinda lube on them, which means that it kills sperm cells, so you can't use sperm from a condom.

I'm not sure if that applies to all condoms though

Lol Wrong thread friendo.
A SIGNATURE.
Quote by Kensai

I flew to Brazil a few years back. First of all don't be panicked if theirs turbulence as you hit the Brazilian coast, its pretty normal. Also try to get some sleeo. When you are awake, rotate your ankles and keep your legs moving to stave off blood clots in your legs which can lead to DVT.

EDIT: After reading other responses, this needs to be said. DON'T DRINK OR TAKE ANY DRUGS. At that altitude the effect of any intoxicants is tripled, meaning that 1 glass of champagne will feel like 6 to your brain. Same goes for sleeping pills.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Last edited by Argonaut at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by DonGlover
My Icarus joke was missed/ignored

Deaths of ancient Greek craftsmen is no joke. I hope you've learned your lesson.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by Trowzaa
lol nah, big nah. Do you really think they'll let people into the cockpit with all the shit that's gone on in the last 10 years?

Yeah man I know. I grew up watching movies and shows with this happening and when I finally get to go on a plane, 9/11 happened.
Haven't you ever wanted to go into the captain's cockpit?
Quote by Prototype4342
Deaths of SUPPOSED ancient Greek craftsmen is no joke. I hope you've learned your lesson.

Fixed. He may not have even existed!
Quote by DonGlover
Lol Wrong thread friendo.

OMG wtf, damn you firefox tabs DAMN YOU!!

Quote by Zeletros
Fixed. He may not have even existed!

Don't be absurd!
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by jthm_guitarist
Bring your gameboy and lots of batteries.

I was going to buy a DS in the States for my trip back to Germany.

Imagine my dismay when I found out you had to buy a fucking EXTRA DEVICE to make the damn thing run on batteries.

Screw these times, man, it's all a scheme of the Man, man.

On topic: Kjell, an mp3 player, portable entertainment device, some good headphones (seriously, bring your own good headphones) and a couple of good books always help to get through long flights. Chewing gum for helping to pop your ears, and a nice pot brownie, if you be so inclined.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
I was going to buy a DS in the States for my trip back to Germany.

Imagine my dismay when I found out you had to buy a fucking EXTRA DEVICE to make the damn thing run on batteries.

Screw these times, man, it's all a scheme of the Man, man.

Wat, are you complaining about the built-in rechargeable lithium battery in the DS?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Wat, are you complaining about the built-in rechargeable lithium battery in the DS?

Yessir.

Because on an ass-long trip that might well extend over 18-20 hours while you're forced to put a gameboy on a bright setting for the majority of the trip, a rechargable battery is completely useless.

But then again, I feel that way about all portable devices. My old mp3 player used to recharge by sticking it into the computer, but that meant that I could never put in new batteries when I was on the road.

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer my good ol' GB Color with it's two double-A's.
Quote by Prototype4342
Deaths of ancient Greek craftsmen is no joke. I hope you've learned your lesson.

Nope. Fuck Hephaestus, Epeus, Palamedes, Daedalus, and all those fucks.
A SIGNATURE.
get up and walk around every so often to avoid deep vein thrombosis. idk
I like window seats, but if you pee a lot go for the aisle. I yawn to relieve ear pressure, but some people like gum. You'll most likely get bored as ****. Bring something to help this. Look up the airport regulations first. be prepared to remove your shoes and belt. Airplane food might suck. Try to get something in the terminal. Do whatever you can to avoid children and infants. Wear something comfortable. That's about it all I have to say, and I've flown way too much.
Oh, I forgot one thing:

don't forget to stand up before flushing the toilet, or it'll suck you out into the clouds.

EDIT: I also direct your attention to this very informative comic:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/airplane

Because this WILL happen to you:

Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 4, 2011,
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Yeah man I know. I grew up watching movies and shows with this happening and when I finally get to go on a plane, 9/11 happened.
Haven't you ever wanted to go into the captain's cockpit?

So badly but if a 20-odd year old asks to go into the cockpit these days then everyone automatically assumes hijacking, thanks a lot Al-Qaeda

Page 1 of 4