I have a MIM Fender HSS strat. I am trying to put a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails in the neck.

Here is how the wiring looked before I modded it.

So far I removed moved the white and black wires attached to the original neck pickup.

Here is how the guitar is now:
I
replaced the white wire with the black wire from my Cool Rails.
replaced the black wire with the green and raw wires from my Cool Rails
soldered the red and white wires together and tucked them aside.

Now I am getting really bad hum/buzz from the 2/3/4 positions.

What did I do wrong?

Pics

hosting images

There is still a bad buzz with positions 2/3/4. Position 3 I understand, because it is a single coil, but shouldn't positions 2/4 be hum cancelling?
Last edited by Uber_Kitty at Nov 4, 2011,
Did you try following the NOTE about Fender pickups?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I was confused as to whether or not I should do that, I will try it now. I don't see how this will cause buzz though...
There is still a bad buzz with positions 2/3/4. Position 3 I understand, because it is a single coil, but shouldn't positions 2/4 be hum cancelling?
If I wanted the 2/4 positions to be combining a split humbucker with the middle, would I need to wire it differently than it was?

IE should I use this diagram?
What diagram? I'd go and check out the seymour site for wiring myself, I usually find most answers there. You could also follow the wiring for steve vai's guitar as he has the hum sin hum setup but positions 2 + 4 use the inner coils of the humbuckers to give that quacky strat sound.
Quote by Twidler
What diagram? I'd go and check out the seymour site for wiring myself, I usually find most answers there. You could also follow the wiring for steve vai's guitar as he has the hum sin hum setup but positions 2 + 4 use the inner coils of the humbuckers to give that quacky strat sound.

Oops, sorry. Here is the diagram.
Quote by Twidler

Oops, sorry. Here is the diagram.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=lilhum_sing_lilhum_1v_2t_s
So is that the one you've followed? If so you might need a reverse wound middle pickup to get the hum cancelling effect like a humbucker has. I'm fairly sure but not 100% Humbuckers are put together in a particular way though to cancel out hum, they're not just two regular single coils side by side.
That would just be regular hum, hum + sin, sin, sin+ hum then neck humbucker on its own. Was the middle pickup noisey before or just after fitting the new neck pickup?
To be honest, I am not quite sure anymore. All hum stops when I turn to a certain angle from the amp.

The thing is, I am pretty sure the 2 and 4 positions never hummed and now they do, but I could just be imagining things.

I am afraid to waste a pack of strings and see that I wired it incorrectly.
Sounds like you're just picking up interference from the amp through the single coil probably, you could either get a silent one or another mini bucker for there or just sit further way from the amp. The chances are it was doing it before but now it's more noticable because the mini buckers are quiet.