hi experts,

im looking to invest in a new (well used) tele next week and to be honest i've now become lost in the realms of choice..

do i want a c shaped neck, soft v neck.. do i want a 50s 60s 72?
do i want vintage voiced pups or more 'hotter'
do i want a deluxe with humbuckers or even a custom with a s/h set up?

japanese,korean,mexican.usa?

basically on the used market i have a max budget of £400....

in terms of styles, i play all sorts from 90s alternative to 'math' to punk to some heavier rock.. even some jazz...

so it needs to be versatile..

amp: laney vc30 with a v30 speaker

do you need any more info?

oh and i live just outside london.. and can drive..
most of those things are very personal... I know it's no help, but you sorta have to figure them out yourself.

I'd be trying to get japanese or USA at £400 used, but that's just me. If you don't care about the name on the headstock, things like MIJ tokai would be worth considering (just cutting out the middleman).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only way to answer these questions is to go to a shop and try them until you decide which suits YOU best.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i've played high end tokai LPs and liked them..
I don't know where would stock them however to try..

I'm off to GuitarGuitar tomorrow (london branch) hopefully I'll come out more enlightened..

On the USA models which ones are going to be in my price bracket? Special? Highway one?
http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/bolt_on_series/double_agent_II.html

Find yourself a used one. I'm slowly starting to become a Reverend Fanboy in all ways telecaster. I saw the dude from the Drive By Truckers using it at a concert a couple years ago and became rather hooked ever since. They're some of the most versatile guitars I've ever come across on a budget. If you want telecaster tones that can also do some modern sounding heavy stuff, this brand is worth a look.

If you want a traditional telecaster, however, there are a few Japanese ones that sneak around on ebay for the $400 price range. I'd suggest waiting for a good offer there as well.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
You want an American Special. And since I'm a mind reader, you also want meat and potatos for dinner with a pint of Guinness

Seriously though, I had an American Special Strat for a while and I was really impressed with the quality. Awesome instrument for the price. I'd have to imagine the Tele would be just as good...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
all of those are very personal issues. you'll have to play some guitars to get the best sense.

obviously, a humbucker loaded tele will handle higher gain better than a single coil loaded one. other than that though, its really up to your hands and your ears
Quote by Dave_Mc
most of those things are very personal... I know it's no help, but you sorta have to figure them out yourself.

I'd be trying to get japanese or USA at £400 used, but that's just me. If you don't care about the name on the headstock, things like MIJ tokai would be worth considering (just cutting out the middleman).
+311

Or expand your auditions to include MIJ Greco and MIJ Squier SQ series. Thee are also MIK setneck Squiers and Fenders that are very comfy and nicely-priced.

i currently have a squier VM p90 tele.. i like it alot but i'm after something what is an overall - quality instrument..

i've been checking out the highway 1, usa special, baja tele and the custom/72..

differences between a highway 1/usa?

also difference between a 50s/60s?
^ he's talking about the japanese squiers

Quote by daverichards
i've played high end tokai LPs and liked them..
I don't know where would stock them however to try..

some of the denmark street shops have stocked tokai on occasion... whether they have any of the fender copies, though, I don't know.

There are a couple of other UK tokai dealers, but i'm not sure if they're anwhere near london...

Quote by Ippon
+311

Or expand your auditions to include MIJ Greco and MIJ Squier SQ series. Thee are also MIK setneck Squiers and Fenders that are very comfy and nicely-priced.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?