Page 1 of 2
People who become addicted to a game like League of Legends, would they be considered insane? The game is very straight forward and there really isn't much to it. Yes, it's fun getting to level 30. BUT....once your level 30 and you've pretty much mastered the game, many people continue to play it. Other games like this are Defense of the Ancients, the multi-player part of shooting games, and even those games on Facebook.

Eisenstein's theory of insanity is the repetition of the same experiment and expecting different results. Are gamers insane? or at least partly?

Einstiein. My computer's spell check refuses to accept his name

Besides the few people who have the urge to rage, it was nice to see the pit actually have a scientific conversation for once.

Now another question. With the 'true" definition of insanity in mind, would people who scream at things that do not exist and try to insert things into their rectum while lagging or losing very badly be considered some form of insane or just really can't control their anger?
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by stefanomire at Nov 5, 2011,
Who the hell is Eisenstein and what has he done with Einstein?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Given how many times I've tried and failed at old Nintendo Hard NES games, I'd say I'm pretty damn insane.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Trowzaa
Who the hell is Eisenstein and what has he done with Einstein?

the auto-correct on my computer failed me again...
ಠ_ಠ
eh???
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Very few gamers play a game multiple times and do the exact same thing every time.
Einenstein? That homeless guy in front of the Mcdonald's? I don't trust his research.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Eisenstein was an old soviet filmmaker. He developed innovative editing techniques, and gave us the montage for example.
Quote by moscaespañol
Einstein should stick to physics.

true, he was insane himself
ಠ_ಠ
Some hardcore gamers do seem pretty insane.

Like they value their ability on SC as a life skill.
Sing me to sleep.
Quote by snuffaluffagus
Eisenstein was an old soviet filmmaker. He developed innovative editing techniques, and gave us the montage for example.

BUT WHERE IS HIS THEORY OF INSANITY HMM?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Well, some games you win and some games you lose.

you are expecting different results because the game is unpredictable and observing the different events is entertaining.
Quote by Trowzaa
BUT WHERE IS HIS THEORY OF INSANITY HMM?

I was just clarifying who Eisenstein was. For Einstein's theories of insanity you'll have to refer to our beloved thread starter.
yes yes yes we all know that Einstein was insane we don't need you grinding it into our heads when its already there....

Oh this is about getting addicted to videogames....

well I think South Park's episode of World of Warcraft explains it best.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
These Gamers are not insane by Einsteins theory because they do not expect different results.

They just expect to have a good time, no matter what level they are on in the game.
Quote by stefanomire
the multi-player part of shooting games

Eisenstein's theory of insanity is the repetition of the same experiment and expecting different results. Are gamers insane? or at least partly?

Oh hai, I just played two COD matches doing pretty much the same thing, I won once, and lost once. That theory doesn't apply here.
Quote by stefanomire

Eisenstein's theory of insanity is the repetition of the same experiment and expecting different results.

theres so much to say here i dont know where to start.for example masterbation.
I will answer your question with an analogy:

You go to work to perform generally mundane tasks, day after day. You get paid.
You play online games to perform generally mundane tasks, day after day. You pay.

The best way to demonstrate that fact is to imagine yourself playing a game with the TV or monitor turned off. What are you really doing? You are mashing buttons, moving a mouse or joystick, and sitting in the same spot for hours on end. The only stimuli is a constantly changing display that you interpret as an alternate reality.

So what makes people drawn to games? Instant gratification and a false sense of accomplishment.

Most RPG fans agree that the most enjoyable part of an RPG is starting out. Once you're pretty well established, it loses novelty. Oh it's still fun, but you feel more accomplished when those levels are tallying up fast when starting out.

I really haven't been much for RPGs. I really enjoyed Super Mario RPG back years ago, Runescape and Morrowind when I was in highschool. Since then, I really haven't been much for them. Right now I'm playing Battlefield 3 on/off. The levels really stack up fast and I try to keep in mind that the level is only an indication of amount of time invested. The only semi-quantifiable stats that indicate player skill are K/D Ratio and Accuracy- those are highly debatable as well.

My point is that people enjoy feeling like they earned something, and video games give them that "high" so often that they are immunized to it elsewhere.

The best application of the definition of insanity is problem solving or lack thereof. It's a business model for constant improvement in the engineering world.
Last edited by CV334 at Nov 4, 2011,
Not the same thing. If we go by what you're saying, anybody who works is insane, anybody who plays sports is insane, anybody who goes to school is insane, and anybody who has any sort of daily routine is insane.

What Einstein meant is in specific cases, like if, say, somebody didn't study for a test and did terribly, then they go in to take a make-up test, don't study for that one either and expect to do better. Now that would be crazy. The point is, the circumstances have to be the same.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by 505088K
These Gamers are not insane by Einsteins theory because they do not expect different results.

They just expect to have a good time, no matter what level they are on in the game.

Exactly. When I continue to play a game after I've mastered it, I do it because it's fun and I want to see what else I can do with my newfound mastery of it. It's generally at this point that I'll turn on cheats and fuck around with it as much as I can. I've turned Portal into a zombie shooter game doing this. lol
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
If that was the case, wouldn't sports stars be insane, or people who work the same job for years?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by 505088K

I would be an insane gamer by Einsteins theory.

But I get results nigga.

EDIT:
Quote by Nelsean
If that was the case, wouldn't sports stars be insane, or people who work the same job for years?

I'd say sports stars doing the same thing day in day out would get different results as they got more skill.

Or older.
Last edited by devourke at Nov 4, 2011,
Regardless, that is quite clearly not the definition of insanity. Evidently, Einstein wasn't a psychologist.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by Nelsean

They're not expecting different results, they just want money. They keep the same job because it gives them the results they want.

Now if a sports team keeps using the same strategy in every game and keep losing, they could be considered insane (according to this theory) if they expect to win without changing anything.
Quote by MAC2322
Not the same thing. If we go by what you're saying, anybody who works is insane, anybody who plays sports is insane, anybody who goes to school is insane, and anybody who has any sort of daily routine is insane.

What Einstein meant is in specific cases, like if, say, somebody didn't study for a test and did terribly, then they go in to take a make-up test, don't study for that one either and expect to do better. Now that would be crazy. The point is, the circumstances have to be the same.

This.

OP is a retard.
You don't play games to get the end result, dumbass. That's like saying people who keep jerking off are insane because the orgasm never changes.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Besides the few people who have the urge to rage, it was nice to see the pit actually have a scientific conversation for once.

With the 'true" definition of insanity in mind, would people who scream at things that do not exist and try to insert things into their rectum while lagging or losing very badly be considered some form of insane or just really can't control their anger?
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by stefanomire

Eisenstein's theory of insanity is the repetition of the same experiment and expecting different results.

Einstein: The only guy whose pith could be mistaken for a theory.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
Einstein: The only guy whose pith could be mistaken for a theory.

It's just a hypothesis, you fools!
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by stefanomire
the auto-correct on my computer failed me again...

your computer figured eisenstein is a more commonly used name than einstein? lolnah

also, you haven't mastered a game by reaching level 30. you've mastered it by reaching its final stage and maxing out all your levels.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I'm insane and
I don't play video
games at all.
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Quote by stefanomire

Now another question. With the 'true" definition of insanity in mind,

Which is

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

replay value, *im actually not a gamer*

i mean, its like why do you play the same song over and over again, right?
Experimentation is just one facet of gaming. There's also competition, socialization, discovery, and the joy of utilizing a developed skill.

And getting new levels/skills isn't the only way to experiment either. Once you're maxed in a leveling game, you can still try different strategies, gear, etc.
Page 1 of 2