hey folks,
So I'm looking to upgrading my crap recording gear into slightly less crap recording gear. My budget is TINY. I already have a Lexicon Alpha interface, and I'm reasonably happy with, no latency problems or anything so I don't wanna upgrade there. But I was thinking about getting some new mics and better software (been using standard garage band and and old Peavey hand held). So suggestions for what mics/software? In total I have about 250-300 to spend at most. OR any other suggestions about what I could purchase to help improve my gear to make better recordings.
Thanks.
Shure sm57 is a good allrounder for recording guitars etc, not sure on software though.
What exactly do you want to do? $250-$300 is loads for recording guitars, but for a 20-piece orchestra it's not so simple....you get the idea!

What gear are you using currently? (be as detailed as you want!)
Quote by kyle62
What exactly do you want to do? $250-$300 is loads for recording guitars, but for a 20-piece orchestra it's not so simple....you get the idea!

+1!

That said, it sounds like you're looking in the right direction. From what you've told us, the weak link in your chain is in the microphone department - much more so than your interface/preamps.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Just to follow on from Chris; you probably will need two mics; a large-diaphragm condenser and a handheld dynamic.

The condenser (eg Rode NT-1a) is your main 'hi-fi' mic; you'll use it for vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion, ambience micing , sampling, and and practically anything else that takes your fancy.
Your dynamic (eg Shure SM57) will be used almost entirely for electric guitar, at fist, though they work great on snare drums and sometimes acoustic guitar.

At your budget I'd recommend the Samson Q7 ($45) for dynamic, and the SE2200a ($249) as your condenser.

www.amazon.com/Samson-Q7-Handheld-Dynamic-Microphone/dp/B0002ORPP2

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/787775-REG/sE_Electronics_SE2200A_W_O_FLIGHT_CASE_2200a_Condenser_Microphone.html
Quote by kyle62

Thanks, sorry I was delayed, last few days have been crazy. I'm looking into doing primarily acoustic one or two guitars, vocals, maybe hand drums or bass if I'm really feeling creative. I figured that'd be about the easiest place to start. I've looked at MXL 990/991 sets, its a large diaphram condenser for vocals and small one for guitar. Its like 70 bucks for both. Thoughts?

As far as gear like I said for an interface I'm running a Lexicon Alpha. My guitar that'd I would use would most likely be my Ovation celebrity, I would mic it, not run it. As far as bass goes I would use my Jazz, but I don't know if I would try to mic the amp (2x10 GK with a peavey head) or run it straight through.
Last edited by ePOWsa at Nov 9, 2011,
Quote by ePOWsa
Thanks, sorry I was delayed, last few days have been crazy. I'm looking into doing primarily acoustic one or two guitars, vocals, maybe hand drums or bass if I'm really feeling creative. I figured that'd be about the easiest place to start. I've looked at MXL 990/991 sets, its a large diaphram condenser for vocals and small one for guitar. Its like 70 bucks for both. Thoughts?

As far as gear like I said for an interface I'm running a Lexicon Alpha. My guitar that'd I would use would most likely be my Ovation celebrity, I would mic it, not run it. As far as bass goes I would use my Jazz, but I don't know if I would try to mic the amp (2x10 GK with a peavey head) or run it straight through.

Ah, in that case my suggestions above stand! The SE2200A is a great all rounder for what you described.

The MXL990/991 set is ok, MXL got a bit cheeky - they call the 990 a 'large diaphragm' condenser but it really isn't - the capsule is puny if I remember correctly. It's a bit thin, brittle and lacking in low-end response, but will do the job fine.

Was your budget an absolute max? If you want to keep it cheap there are still much better condensers around the $100 mark.