Metal Forum Review, Nov 4: Anubi - Pilnaties Akis Uzmerks Mirtis

I realize everybody is pretty much useless when it comes to this and various other things around the metal forum recently (metal radio for another) but I'm sharing this album because Vampire Goldfish made a thread about them a while back, and this is some of the most interesting music I have yet to hear, I will share it with all of you, and for that, I hope you'll all try and buy a copy, or at the very least download it, and before I get going on this, R.I.P. Lord Ominous...

Anubi were a two piece avant-garde black metal band formed around the year of 1992, releasing Kai Pilnaties... in 1997. Consider this album a foray into the truly destitute, as it employs a variety of harrowing sounds, all embracing the side we cannot deny, which is the inevitability of death.

The title translated to English is, "When the Death shalt close the eyes of the Full-Moon". Before we even start listening, we are greeted with a depiction of bleakness; amongst the title, we are shown a picture of death holding the moon's eyes in it's hands. The sky is red, the horror of the forest is apparent. I cannot stress this enough, view the artistry outside of the music on this as well, take it in. Appreciate the album before you listen, understand where the writers are coming from, and how the cover is linked to the music.

The music itself often indulges itself into a rather haunting series of melodies, which couldn't convey the overall atmosphere the album creates any better. Equipping itself with layers of ambiance, amongst slow, doom bearing riffs, whilst the vocals are reminiscent of a serpent's hiss, they do switch styles to very low, to a point of near moaning, clean vocals (a.k.a, wailing). The saxophone will make an appearance, which doesn't do anything really "out there", but is more to add to the atmosphere, with lengthy notes being played. This album should be listened to all the way through to really understand what is being heard, as it makes more sense musically not to jump into a random song, but to have a starting point to begin at; how the artist intended the listener to hear it.

To summarize, the album is a mystical journey of near soul collapsing portions. Such restlessness, and monumental emotion involved for something so simple to listen to. I can't really enjoy this album more, hopefully some of you feel the same way about it as I do. Any other surprises I will leave to the listener to find for themselves.

Metal-archives

Your journey has begun...

November 11 - dillonrips7
November 18 - Chopped_In_Half
November 25 - MoogleRancha
December 2 - progbass
December 9 - duncang
December 16 - AnnihiSlateR
Last edited by severed-metal at Nov 5, 2011,
Just referring to you first point, I agree, there's been a real feeling of apathy towards 'community based threads' lately. I know it looked like I was having a moan on my radio last week, but I remember getting onto the second page with comments in the past, and when the list of people wanting to contribute pretty much ran half a year in advance. Now barely anyone seems to comment, or even submit, as I have a feeling we missed a radio last week, and I've not seen one this week. And I've not seen a review for ages either.

As for the review. I like it, it's tells you the basics without giving too much away. I'll definitely be giving it a proper listen.

put me down for the 16th will you?
Wow I completely forgot about mine. Durrpywerp.

I'll give that album a spin jon.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
I have to say I was worried at the start that this was just another avant garde band being weird for the sake of it, but as you listen the atmosphere enshrouds you and even the more unusual sections seem to work towards that goal rather than against it. Powerful stuff.

Plus the saxophone reminded me of the Blade Runner score
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I enjoy the album for its emotion more than anything else. However, the story expressed, which is really left to personal interpretation, is very thought provoking and imaginative.

Added Neil.
Though I'm never here anymore, the few scattered glimpses and aimless sojourns are curiously linked to my profession. The majority of users here would probably find it pompous and pretentious of me saying this, but I'll say it anyway.

It's fascinating to see what small sways, swerves, and marks I've had on UGs "Metal" culture.

Anyways.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Though I'm never here anymore, the few scattered glimpses and aimless sojourns are curiously linked to my profession. The majority of users here would probably find it pompous and pretentious of me saying this, but I'll say it anyway.

It's fascinating to see what small sways, swerves, and marks I've had on UGs "Metal" culture.

Anyways.

I can honestly say without shame that you along with powerslave have shown me the majority of the music that I listen to. If it were not for you two, then I would be lost in the world of metal, and for that I thank you.

Anyway, Anubi is fantastic. I'm glad you picked this album Severed; it's definitely an interesting listen.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by VampireGoldfish

Anyways.

Nah, though you probably don't even recognize my username I owe you a lot. You, alongside a VERY small handful of others (Strangles, Kep, \Powerslave/, etc.) have HEAVILY influenced my tastes in music and shown me a shit ton of great bands. Thanks man, seriously. I appreciate it. Oh, and since you dissed the review thing I tried to start back up and didn't take your turn, do you wanna grace this forum with another ace band? Or is that not mysterious enough for your style?
My past three weeks have been nothing but Angelo Badalamenti/David Lynch, and Crazy Clown Time.

So no Metal recs from me I'm afraid.

Last Metal album I spun was Ares Kingdom - Return to Dust. Before then I binged on Elm - Nemcatacoa and Barn Owl - The Conjurer which, again, isn't Metal.

I'll be back in time.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I'll be back in time.

Check back on Friday, might be something here you'd enjoy.

As for Anubi, listened to some tracks. Can't say I was in the mood for this stuff. Interesting at parts, but ultimately I wasn't drawn into it and it left me cold.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by VampireGoldfish
My past three weeks have been nothing but Angelo Badalamenti/David Lynch, and Crazy Clown Time.

'Just youuuu......aaaaaaand Iiiiiiiiiii'

Deadly.

Jondom, il give this a listen later. Ved Buens Ende have been tickling my weird black metal glad all week, so im craving some more.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
'Just youuuu......aaaaaaand Iiiiiiiiiii'

Together
Forever
In love

Tracks like Blue Frank, Dance of The Dream Man, Audrey's Dance, I'm Hurt Bad, Laura's Theme, Harold's Theme get my rocks off like an army of sentient vags couldn't manage. Plus I qualify as an insane person if we start talking about the achievement that is Twin Peaks.

And David Lynch's album is pretty much the same thing but more radio sound less Badalamenti.

And Strangle, friend, I've always appreciated you. But I love you even more just for even recognizing what the hell I was talking about.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Not meaning to take this completely off topic, but Julee Cruise's Floating Into The Night is mandatory for every Twin Peaks lover, for obvious reasons. I'm positive you're well aware of the album though...
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

I am the big Twin Peaks fan

I own the first release of Laura Palmer's Secret diary and I plan on buying the new one in December when it's released.

I'll stop there.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish

So no Metal recs from me I'm afraid.

Last Metal album I spun was Ares Kingdom - Return to Dust. Before then I binged on Elm - Nemcatacoa and Barn Owl - The Conjurer which, again, isn't Metal.

I'll be back in time.

Bah, excuses. I give up on trying to squeeze metal rec's out of you. Besides, Skyrim comes out Friday.
Suddenly I feel more inferior than usual.

I stopped watching a few episodes after the murder mystery was solved; will get the DVD box for Christmas, though. The music had been consistently good and certainly much more timeless than the characters' hair.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Last edited by we_built_a_tree at Nov 9, 2011,
Quote by we_built_a_tree
Suddenly I feel more inferior than usual.

I stopped watching a few episodes after the murder mystery was solved; will get the DVD box for Christmas, though. The music had been consistently good and certainly much more timeless than the characters' hair.

Lynch believes that letting CBS force that out of him is his biggest mistake and regret in his career. It's ****ing depressing that television/business "happened" to Twin Peaks, if that makes any sense to you.

A few episodes after the reveal are actually pretty good, then it veers into fruitless directions. You can even tell by the acting. Then when you watch some of the bonus material on the Gold Box and Fire Walk With Me or even read "Full of Secrets," all the actors feel the same way. No longer was David and Mark Frost there to keep it Twin Peaks, David was doing Wild At Heart and Mark was off doing his business.

And it shows.

But hell I still enjoyed it on my first go through and still do to an extent to this day. Besides, Lynch comes back with a vengeance on the last episode which was hauntingly orgasmic.

Unfortunately that was not the real ending, it was the ending we were forced to get.

And also I guess this is the Anubi thread?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Lynch believes that letting CBS force that out of him is his biggest mistake and regret in his career. It's ****ing depressing that television/business "happened" to Twin Peaks, if that makes any sense to you.

A few episodes after the reveal are actually pretty good, then it veers into fruitless directions. You can even tell by the acting. Then when you watch some of the bonus material on the Gold Box and Fire Walk With Me or even read "Full of Secrets," all the actors feel the same way. No longer was David and Mark Frost there to keep it Twin Peaks, David was doing Wild At Heart and Mark was off doing his business.

And it shows.

But hell I still enjoyed it on my first go through and still do to an extent to this day. Besides, Lynch comes back with a vengeance on the last episode which was hauntingly orgasmic.

Unfortunately that was not the real ending, it was the ending we were forced to get.

And also I guess this is the Anubi thread?

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_191_if-classic-movies-all-got-video-game-adaptations_p20/#13

Have you seen Mulholland Drive VG? That is one of my favorite films of all time. I'm a huge Lynch fan, and I'm really upset that I'm going to be out of the country next semester and my professor whom is also a big fan is teaching a class on Lynch in the spring.

Anubi are great.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
also I guess this is the Anubi thread?

Pretty sure this is the Twin Peaks thread.
That sax in Á Naujà Galybæ is something, especially paired with that new wavey frequencies and those oddly fitting vocals. Great album to lie down in some grass on a windy day.

Just don't listen to it on a boat.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Probably my favourite part on the album, and right after that, it'd be Ozirio Adventeras and that magnificent ambient section near the end.

Gyvenimo Kritimà Dovanosim Krankliui is easily my favourite song of the album however. From that harrowing scream in the beginning to the dramatic piano passage featured later in the song.
Yeah that intro scream is magnificent. It's actually the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the album.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Can I get this unstuck, please?

I love the album as much as the next guy, but this is clutter now.
To tell the truth, VG, this is probably my favourite album out of all those recs. I feel like Severed's review has described it quite adequately, so not to go into detail... but it's very imaginative record that takes you through some areas of your mind unlike other...

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Just a bit of clean up lads.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.