I play a range of music from blues to classic rock to metal. I might have a good deal on a used schecter hellraiser. So i would have to pay a bit more if I choose the prs se. Opinions about the two guitars?

Cheers
I really liked the PRS SE's I played. Felt nicer than any schecter, and doesn't come with EMGs or abalone binding (I do not like either).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^very.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
the sheceter will have a pretty hard time getting a good blues tone.

the tremonti won't.
The model does coil tap. The new ones. I think I will need to visit a store and try the prs se. Thanks for the advice!
Besides the coil taps, I've never really LIKED EMG's. Always found them a bit harsh.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
EMG's are great pickups for metal, but you're going to need an amp of ample headroom to get somthing really clean with EMG's.

The PRS would be more practical.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
If you have a good amp, you will have no problem getting any sort of tone from EMG's. Technically, scientifically, etc., EMG's are the most versatile pickups you can get. The trick is having the amp and the knowledge/skill to utilize that versatility. They are different beasts than passives, designed differently, so a lot of people don't really know how to use them, and pass them off as sterile/lifeless.

All that said, pickups are completely personal preference, and a lot of people do prefer passives which aren't nearly as versatile, but sound better to their ears for whatever they're doing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have never tried active pickups before. Just afraid that I wouldn't like it. Can't really try it out as I seldom see EMGs equipped guitars at shops. -.- anyway I am currently having a peavey vypyr 30 which I feel it's a great amp although it's digital, but it makes great tones.
Quote by Offworld92
If you have a good amp, you will have no problem getting any sort of tone from EMG's. Technically, scientifically, etc., EMG's are the most versatile pickups you can get. The trick is having the amp and the knowledge/skill to utilize that versatility. They are different beasts than passives, designed differently, so a lot of people don't really know how to use them, and pass them off as sterile/lifeless.

All that said, pickups are completely personal preference, and a lot of people do prefer passives which aren't nearly as versatile, but sound better to their ears for whatever they're doing.

I just found them kinda over-compressed and a bit harsh, y'know? Not so much sterile as just kinda nasty sounding.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
I just found them kinda over-compressed and a bit harsh, y'know? Not so much sterile as just kinda nasty sounding.

18 volt mod pretty much solves that issue you were talking about... as does the x series.

don't get me wrong, i totally understand people liking passive more ( i do for sure), but emg's can be freaking awesome if you know what your doing and have a great amp.
Quote by Offworld92
Technically, scientifically, etc., EMG's are the most versatile pickups you can get.

Not that I'm disagreeing, but how?

The thing with actives is that no matter how you (I in this case) EQ my amp it doesn't have the clarity on cleans but when distorted it's never harsh on the ears like passives. I'd describe it as dull or neutral, which I like when I turn up teh br00tz.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
They have a totally flat EQ. Which means you can use an EQ to shape them however you want. Passives have a set eq, so you can only work so much with them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JKHC
Not that I'm disagreeing, but how?

The thing with actives is that no matter how you (I in this case) EQ my amp it doesn't have the clarity on cleans but when distorted it's never harsh on the ears like passives. I'd describe it as dull or neutral, which I like when I turn up teh br00tz.

10 Band EQ + ISP Decimator noise gate.

EMG's, like any active, just use a 9 volt to amplify your signal a little more by supplying their own voltage. That doesn't always equal more drive, remember that clipping cuts off a maximum AND minimum voltage. EMG's aren't particularly well suited to cleans, but that doesn't mean crystal cleans can't be achieved with 'em. You just need an amp with a lotta headroom, proper eq'ing and noise reduction. I'd imagine a BBE sonic maximizer would work wonders with the aforementioned pedals. The trick is headroom and keeping your voltage consistent. The 10 band's just there to boost the frequencies you want, and the noise gate removes unwanted fizz.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Volume knob. Turn it down somewhat.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
the ones tosin abasi uses are x series , he said himself , emgs have very high compression (due to the high output i believe) , making the usual ' airy' or ' natural ' guitar tone harder to come by . But then , they really have a very equal eq and even string volume , which is desirable in some cases but it pretty much comes down to taste .

and dude , the only reason you're really considering that schecter is cause its cheaper right? As your friend , i suggest you try out both first
7 String Legion

Gear:
Mayones Setius GTM 7
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
GIM Jeffrey Yong Custom 7 String
Playing a PRS SE Custom 22 while saving up for the real deal
Minimal pedals
Vox VT30
Line 6 Pod XT Live and stuff
I would get the PRS Tremonti guitar.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster