Page 1 of 4
Hi guys...this is my first post so be nice to the noob

Has anyone played Rocksmith yet? For those who haven't heard about it, it's basically guitar pro evolved...you plug your electric guitar into your computer/xbox/playstation and play along to the songs, as it tells you which strings to strum and rates your performance.

I haven't played it myself, and it's received some bad reviews, but i'm wondering if the bad reviews are from people who could play free bird on a plastic guitar not being able to play everlong on a real one?

I think i'll be getting it...chances are it will cost me a bunch of money because you only get a set amount of songs with the game, and have to pay to download the rest, But from what I hear the way it's set up can teach you to play from beginner to expert.

Also, I just installed seymour duncans in my les paul, and if you're ever in the market for new pickups i'd totally recommend them - it's like night and day.
Funny part is, it got bad reviews from the gaming press, but everyone I've heard from who has it, loves it! I've had it for 4 days and I can't put it down. I've been playing for 4 1/2 years, taking lessons the last 1. Without a doubt , Rocksmith has been the best 80 dollars purchase I ever made for my guitar playing.

Its made practice fun for me. Theres a lot of machismo among guitar players, and the general consensus is learning to play guitar is hard work. AND it is, but this has been a great tool for breaking the rut of practicing. I'm so sick of "experienced" guitar players pooh poohing new ideas to get people through the beginner stage, and the reviews for this game by people who think this is just another rock band/guitar hero wannabe drive me nuts.

I've spend the last few weeks with my teacher working on finger strengthening and dexterity exercises. 4 weeks of scales, and repetitive BORING exercises. The last 4 days with Rocksmith I've seen more progress then I did in the previous 4 weeks. I learnt 3 new songs this week alone, something that usually takes me 2-3 months. I don't have them down perfect yet, but passable to play with the guys in a garage jam session.

Will it replace hard work and practice? No. Will it make that hard work and practice more fun and help you learn faster? Absolutely. Do not wait, buy it now! If you were to do every part of the "game" it would take you to an advanced beginner /intermediate player. A point I'm still working towards after 5 years.
Last edited by bluekanoodle at Nov 5, 2011,
I was going to write something but bluekanoodle basicly summed it up perfect. It's pretty awesome.
Oh yea I have it and I love it man. Ican't put it down for anything it's a great game.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Unexpected responses were unexpected. I guess I could see how it would be fun but for a beginner it seems like it could give them bad habits, bad techniques, and no idea at all how to be creative/improvise. Would you guys who have played it agree?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
That's what I was basically thinking too...There's really not much point in paying 20+$ for a half hour session with an instructor when you could spend 80 on something that will instruct you and make the learning fun for the next couple years

I think i'll pick it up tomorrow
Quote by Rawshik
Unexpected responses were unexpected. I guess I could see how it would be fun but for a beginner it seems like it could give them bad habits, bad techniques, and no idea at all how to be creative/improvise. Would you guys who have played it agree?

Improvisation is generally beyond anyone who would label themselves a beginner imo...People that are learning want to see results or they get discouraged....anything that helps get them through what it takes to see results just seems like it could only be beneficial to me. At the very least you can cut your paid lessons down by 90%, instead of paying some guy to show you what to practice you can pay some guy to review your techniques and offer suggestions.

As for creativity...that's not usually the goal of people who are learning a song someone else wrote, is it?
Quote by Rawshik

This.

For people who already have proper technique (or at least...not starting out with a whole canvas of horrible technique), I'd say this can't do much more damage.

For beginners, however...whole other story.
I might get it if they evolve the downloadable content to put some metal on there, very little on the track listing that I recognise. I really like the idea of it though!
Quote by bluekanoodle
Funny part is, it got bad reviews from the gaming press, but everyone I've heard from who has it, loves it! I've had it for 4 days and I can't put it down. I've been playing for 4 1/2 years, taking lessons the last 1. Without a doubt , Rocksmith has been the best 80 dollars purchase I ever made for my guitar playing.

You can't really listen to the critics when it comes to games, they have shit taste.
How does Rocksmith actually rate you ?
it measures the frequencies and takes unwanted string noise or sloppy playing into consideration? Pay close attention to technique, thats the thing that teachers usually correct and it makes a huge difference in the long run

Other than that tools are tools if they motivate you and inspire you then thats cool.

I cant wonder if Rocksmith it is building wrong expectations for new guitarists, because the guitar path is not full of instant gratifications, no hard path actually is, you either make that sacrifice and "boring" scale memorization and technique practicing fun or you will always struggle with it, if you love music no bit of theory is boring , you will enjoy every second you spend with your instrument as tedious as the drill might be.

You will sometimes set a goal and you will start to see results 9 months later, if one is not able to get past the instant reinforcement mentality where everything has to yield immediate results it is hard to get anywhere in your playing or in life. Thats my only concern, other than that i actuallywished i have had such a tool to memorize scales and the fretboard, but doing it the old way taught me discipline.

Only time will tell, maybe some day some guitar god will say.. it all actually started when a friend of mine bought rocksmith..
Not all of us want to be Slash or care if our technique is perfect. Some of us just like to have fun playing. I'm sure there a a number of people who got into guitar through Guitar Hero too.
Quote by philwhite
Not all of us want to be Slash or care if our technique is perfect. Some of us just like to have fun playing. I'm sure there a a number of people who got into guitar through Guitar Hero too.

I did, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Anyway...I don't think it's a matter of technique being perfect or not. It's a matter of technique actually holding you back. You can only get so fast without, say, alternate picking.
While GuitarSmith Won't correct your hand position, or teach better technique, neither will the thousands of Tabs or youtube videos that people have been using for years to teach themselves guitar. There is no substituting a good teacher, but there are many on this board alone who ate self taught that never had a lesson in there life.

Like I said earlier, this is a great tool to teach yourself/practice guitar. It's not gonna make you Eddie Van Halen, but those who can't afford weekly lessons/ or don't have the time, this is a great option. Even for those taking lessons, its a great source of lesson material to be augmented by an instructor.

If the developers were smart, I could see them releasing a Rocksmith Guitar Method Book to accompany this game, a step by step guide to using the Game to Develop your chops while digging deeper into some of the theory behind it.

Besides. We all know Guitar is addicting. Consider Rocksmith the gateway drug. I'm pretty sure that if someone is gonna take the time to learn every lesson in the game, there're gonna start looking elsewhere for more informations, reading more, learning more.

The guy who plays just for the songs is no different then the people you see at guitar center already who know one metal song really well and consider themselves "BR00TALZ" guitar gods. Your always gonna have posers, no matter where they learned their 3 songs.
I refuse to play it if it doesn't support 7 string guitars.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by philwhite

Slash and perfect technique dont belong in the same sentence,and oh boy professional guitar players dont want to be Slash either
Quote by Slashiepie
Slash and perfect technique dont belong in the same sentence,and oh boy professional guitar players dont want to be Slash either

Pretty sure he's not trying to imply that Slash has perfect technique. He was just listing the possibilities for why somebody would want to play Rocksmith, not linking the possibilities together.

/being a bitch about technicalities
Okay so I picked it up today, and i've only been playing for about an hour but I can assure you it's still hard work. If anything I feel like i'm worse than I actually am while I play this because I've developed the habit of looking at my guitar while I play, something that you can't do while playing this.

Also I'm used to reading what I plan on learning, then playing it...with this you're pretty much thrown into a song that starts out only having you play maybe 20% of the actual notes, and adding more and more notes as you successfully play what they're asking you to. What started out quite boring became challenging within 2 songs, So it assesses your skill level very quickly.

It also has some very fun practice modes, such as shooting ducks by strumming the note it tells you, shooting zombies by strumming the chords it tells you, and a few others.

Right now the biggest thing that bugs me is the 1/4 second lag between the guitar and the sound coming out of the tv, but that might be fixable through calibration settings, i haven't looked yet.

I'm not surprised it's received bad reviews in all honesty, But it was reviewed by gamers, not guitarists. As I happen to be both I would rate this a 3/10 from a gamers point of view, but a 9/10 from a guitarists. Anything that inspires me to play the guitar (that I don't have to smoke, lol) is good in my books.
Quote by Rawshik

wouldnt tabs be the same?
I got pissed at it for the first time...playing songs you already know is a pain in the ass...because you want to play it the way you already learned and it wants you to start out as a total beginner.

I didn't know "in bloom" could be simplified any more than the way it was written..but i guess i was wrong.
I've noticed that if you Know the song, you can play it the way its supposed to be, even at beginning levels and it doesn't count it against you. As long as your hitting the right note frequency. and rhythm.

You can Also go into the options and set the difficulty to max.
What kind of lessons are available in it? If it's got accurate scale lessons, maybe a backing track or two, count me in. I can not for the ****ing life of me get inspired to learn a single ****ing scale. I learned one 6 years ago, the major pentatonic. My dog can play the major pentatonic with his ass. :| I only learned that one because my teacher happened to have the foresight to slip that into my lessons in the two months I was able to take 'em before grandparents died and I went to hell without bus fare back.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
It has about 20 technique challenges to cover things like power chords, hammer ons, slides, etc. I believe there is something for scales too. It also has mini-games to help you on chords, etc. As you progress in the game it will tell you about new techniques as well. I skip most of this and just play the songs.
When you play a song at a certain level you unlock the tones used to play each song. I'm loving the Black Keys tones for example. You can then play a freestyle mode and use their tones or you can create a tone and customize it by using the many guitars, amps, and pedals that you unlock throughout the game. Basically your TV and surround sound are an amp with plenty of tones in it. In the week I've had it I have improved in strumming speed, chord changes (even barre chords), memorizing the fretboard. They do show videos on certain techniques like bends and chords and make sure your guitar is in tune plus help you change tunings between E Standard and Drop D. Plus I was reading some tabs outside of the game and able to pick up songs a little quicker. A very nice supplement to your arsenal.
Last edited by Doom878 at Nov 8, 2011,
I think I'd like to play it but I don't want to buy it. It could be a fun way to practice memorizing the fretboard and maybe even learning a couple of new songs. I just don't think it is something that I would get that into. Call me old fashioned but I love the real tone of my guitar, amp and wah wah pedal. I just don't think my tv is going to do it true justice.
I work at a best buy guitar store, and I sell it all day long and have played it a lot. I really, really enjoy it. I really think it's a great way to learn guitar.
Been digging it. It is packaged as a half game, half learning tool. So people will see many things wrong with it. You will see people wanting more game out of it, while the rest want to see more learning out of it. They decided to not go all out one way or the other, so they did the best they can, and I think as a first try they did pretty good. There are a huge laundry list of things I would like to see improved to make it way way way more enjoyable, but at the end of the day, this will make you learn the fret board really fast. It will drill in fast chord changes. It will make you see patterns in songs a lot easier that will in turn raise a lot of ideas for making your own songs.

I've been struggling for about two years. After a week of this, I went back to all my old learning books, my blues lick books, my scales and modes books, and I can flip them open to any page, and just play what it presents fairly easy now.

It's kind of cool to find a song you like and you're trying to follow along on the screen on the right notes to hit, and at some point you will get Obi Wan telling you to just 'use the force, Luke' and you will turn off the targeting screen and just PLAY what you know and you'll see yourself knowing a song rather than crapping your pants at 5 million notes flying at you at mach speed. You'll rip through them and it'll sound great. You'll realize you're not even really paying attention to the screen anymore, you're paying attention to the drummer and the vocals and the bassist and the swells on when to play certain passages.
Last edited by Pippers at Nov 10, 2011,
what level are you guys at? I'm at 1.6 mil which is Local headliner...

I suck at pulloffs right now, and sliding to the right fret without looking.

they need to release more songs already as a dlc and 2.99 per song (ps3) is kind of steep. but I'll only buy the songs I like anyways...Hoping for some Johnny Cash and Metal

would be awesome if they included Rammstein, but prob wont...

R+ isnt that hard to learn anyways, but it would be fun to play.
Wow I just looked at the list of songs. What a joke.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
Man, I'm dying to play this game. Too bad its only supposed to be released here in SA next year. Wonder if a PS3 import would work....?
Quote by bluekanoodle

I've spend the last few weeks with my teacher working on finger strengthening and dexterity exercises. 4 weeks of scales, and repetitive BORING exercises. The last 4 days with Rocksmith I've seen more progress then I did in the previous 4 weeks. I learnt 3 new songs this week alone, something that usually takes me 2-3 months. I don't have them down perfect yet, but passable to play with the guys in a garage jam session.

that's funny because you're obviously not practicing right if you do 4 weeks of exercises you obviously are just going through the motions and not actually practicing and getting better.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by mike_oxbig
Hi guys...this is my first post so be nice to the noob

Has anyone played Rocksmith yet? For those who haven't heard about it, it's basically guitar pro evolved...you plug your electric guitar into your computer/xbox/playstation and play along to the songs, as it tells you which strings to strum and rates your performance.

I haven't played it myself, and it's received some bad reviews, but i'm wondering if the bad reviews are from people who could play free bird on a plastic guitar not being able to play everlong on a real one?

I think i'll be getting it...chances are it will cost me a bunch of money because you only get a set amount of songs with the game, and have to pay to download the rest, But from what I hear the way it's set up can teach you to play from beginner to expert.

Also, I just installed seymour duncans in my les paul, and if you're ever in the market for new pickups i'd totally recommend them - it's like night and day.

Freebird is in an upcoming song pack. I can't wait. I bought the game. 20$ off with the @gamer magazine from best buy. Well worth the buy for several hours of fun with friends.
I never played it, I have seen it. But I think that it will help beginners, keeping them wanting to play guitar. I think it's good in that if you can't play it yet, it's not going to make you try and play it faster then you can, ending up being kinda slopping. And I think any sloppiness that the players possibly develop will be very fixable later. Sorry if this has already been said I just felt like giving my two cents and too tired to read all of the comments that virtually sound the same lol.
You guys are making me consider a quick run out to BB to pick it up, if nothing else just to see for myself. I've been trying to learn using DVDs mostly.
Quote by Deadpool_25
You guys are making me consider a quick run out to BB to pick it up, if nothing else just to see for myself. I've been trying to learn using DVDs mostly.

It is a blast for learning new things. I am disappointed in the majority of the songs, but I'm not complaining.
I went an picked it up from BB. I used a $20 off coupon that's in their Gamer mag. I brought it home, hooked it up and started foolin with it. Holy shit it's fun. I'm probably an weak intermediate player, having been trying to play for a while now (but not taking it very seriously).

I'm not going to write a full-up review, but like I said--it's fun. It's also educational IMO. I was learning some riffs and stuff that I probably wouldn't have. I actually like all the songs so far even though I've only heard maybe 1 or 2 of them before.

There are a couple things that are minor annoyances, like navigating around, but they don't really detract from the fun. If you're thinking about getting it...do it. I need a break now. My back is a little sore--I played standing up for the last 4 hours or so (I've never played standing up before).
Quote by Deadpool_25
I went an picked it up from BB. I used a $20 off coupon that's in their Gamer mag. I brought it home, hooked it up and started foolin with it. Holy shit it's fun. I'm probably an weak intermediate player, having been trying to play for a while now (but not taking it very seriously).

I'm not going to write a full-up review, but like I said--it's fun. It's also educational IMO. I was learning some riffs and stuff that I probably wouldn't have. I actually like all the songs so far even though I've only heard maybe 1 or 2 of them before.

There are a couple things that are minor annoyances, like navigating around, but they don't really detract from the fun. If you're thinking about getting it...do it. I need a break now. My back is a little sore--I played standing up for the last 4 hours or so (I've never played standing up before).

The worst song I've found so far was that 'Jenny o' song. It was repulsive.
Quote by syntheticocean
The worst song I've found so far was that 'Jenny o' song. It was repulsive.

god I hate that song! straight garbage....

luckily you can edit your setlist of what you want to perform, I deleted that shizz asap! lol
Page 1 of 4