For a high quality amplifier. I'm trying to raise a decent amount of money down the road for a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier. It seems to suit my needs, I've tried a triple recto and from what I understand the only difference is volume.

Couple questions, first.

Feedback on the amp in general, I'm pretty sure the only difference is volume from what I've heard, but if there are differences or maybe the Single Recto is lower quality, please let me know.

Second, I kinda was curious what a fairly cheap cabinet is for the amp. I don't know what I would really say for budget, as cheap as possible but still good quality. So nothing crazy expensive or anything, just a cheap little cab to give it a decent sound.

that's about it, I'm not getting it anytime soon, I just figure I'm young, I have no responsibilities or bills yet, so now is a good time to save up for something I want that if I get tired of I could sell later for better equipment or something I need. Plus I was bored so I decided to see what people had to say to this.

Also, I play a variety of stuff(tl;dr list at bottom of paragraph), some Doom/Stoner like Candlemass and Sleep, Death Metal like Disma and Death(later stuff), Prog stuff like Mastodon and some Dream theater, and then some more taditional stuff like Judas Priest(Painkiller and Screaming for Vengeance) and Black Sabbath all the way to Led Zeppelin.

tl;dr: The tones I'm really into are the dark Doom tones ala Candlemass(with the fuzzy tones of Sleep and Electric Wizard), and then the really thick and heavy tones ala Disma, Death, and some of Mastodon's stuff.

Amp budget is hopefully not much more than $1000. I would like to get it reasonably soon, not like a century from now.

Thanks.
For $1000, you could get a used 2 channel Dual/Triple Recto and have a much better amp than a Single.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Farely cheap but good cab?
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Quote by Ibanez734
Farely cheap but good cab?
Harley Benton G212 Vintage

Harley Benton is not sold in the US.

You might be able to find a Mesa Tremoverb combo for a grand, which is a really cool amp, and many people say it's the best Mesa ever made

Alternatively, the Rectoverb combo goes for cheaper than Single Rectos usually, and sounds better IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
For $1000, you could get a used 2 channel Dual/Triple Recto and have a much better amp than a Single.

Really? I've looked a few places and they've been much more expensive.

I'll look into the other options though, thanks a bunch.

and thanks to the other guy even if they're not available where I am
Quote by MatrixClaw
Harley Benton is not sold in the US.

You can order from Thomann, it's only like $50 for shipping.

I was gonna get one and to get one shipped to Australia it was only something like $380, which is still good for a 2x12 closed back with V30's.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Avatar 2x12 cab (fully customizable) $400ish.

I like the Single Recto, but I have to agree that a Rectoverb sounds a little better.

Have you looked into the Mesa Steleto series? might be a better choice with the styles of music you play.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For the stuff you play I would not be looking at Mesa. I'd try to find a more Marshally based amp. There are lots of amps that fit that bill but it depends on the used market at the given time you are ready to buy. There are not too many new amps I would consider in your price range for what you play.
^Agreed, JCM800 clones sound AMAZING for doom. You could throw a fuzz in front for doom, and a distortion to boost for death metal.
All of the Rectifiers sound different. It's not just a wattage difference.

Is the $1000 for amp and cab?

Honestly you'll get better advice if you make q thread when you have the amount of money you want to spend. The used market fluctuates, and new stuff could come out between now and then which could serve you better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
To answer a few questions:

Yeah, I know Mesa wouldn't do a Doom sound very well, but I don't know if I just haven't heard enough demos or tried enough Marshall's akin to what I play, but I just never was super into the tone.
I'll definitely look into it more though.

and also, I made this thread mainly out of boredom, and because I want to know what I'm saving up for instead of having no idea and trying to decide later. But I do have a basic idea for the tones I want, and wanted some ideas.

And $1000 for the head, that's why I want the cab cheap if I can.

But yeah, I don't really have a set price for what I want to spend, I know I don't wanna go too much over $1000 for the head, and a few hundred for the cab hopefully. The cab is pretty flexible is what I am trying to get across.

Oh, and I know the used market changes, but I can wait for that, I just want a basic idea for a good cheap price, I get some pretty good deals looking around sometimes, so I'm not too worried about it changing and becoming frustrating.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Nov 5, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Used Splawn Quick Rod would do most of that. The gain is a mix of Marshall Plexi - Marshall JCM hot rodded 800 - and a bit of 5150/Mesa thrown in.

I said a 'bit'

Haha alright, I'll check that out, thanks man.
A bit meaning it's not quite as dry as an 800 maybe, sure.

Did you boost the shit out of the 800 you tried, TS? Get like a Hardwire or Barber, gain 0 and crank the level... it's so heavy it's unreal.

Without a boost, the 800 isn't really my cup of tea either. Reminds me too much of Zeppelin.
Don't cheap out too much on the cab. It's an important part of your chain. Ultimately, the speakers are what your sound is coming out of.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
A bit meaning it's not quite as dry as an 800 maybe, sure.

Did you boost the shit out of the 800 you tried, TS? Get like a Hardwire or Barber, gain 0 and crank the level... it's so heavy it's unreal.

Without a boost, the 800 isn't really my cup of tea either. Reminds me too much of Zeppelin.

I'm trying to even remember if it was an 800 I tried, it was a while ago. But yeah, I'm actually looking into the JCM and amps akin to the JCM and I really like how most of them sound with a boost. I'm liking a lot of the stuff in this thread.

I'll definitely try to try one out and boost it eventually, sounds great from the demos I've heard, albeit with crappy youtube quality.
I recommend taking a look at some carvin amps. The V3 will do any type of metal you throw at it.

I personally just got a Carvin X-100B and with a boost, I love the gain channel on it. It sounds like the bastard child of a pissed off JCM800 and a recto.

I love it.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
^ Now that I have some experience with them, I have to disagree. I spent a while in the Carvin shop in Hollywood trying amps, and I honestly don't know why they're recommended for metal so much around here. Maybe old school metal, but they're pretty much over glorified crunch amps.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Notice i said boosted. I personally have never played the v3. I just know its suppose to be versatile. but my X-100B with el34's can play doom metal until your face melts. You just have to boost it. The boost is not negotiable.

EDIT* Also how "heavy" your amp sounds has a lot to do with how you play your guitar. Play it like you want it to sound liek a beast. Not like you're palying country. Pick with authority and work on dynamics. You can make your amp sound a lot better than you think it does at first.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Nov 5, 2011,
I know Sleep has been knows to use the Laney 800 copy. Don't recall what it's called though, and Juno Temple is too hot as a caveman to care to look.
Quote by Offworld92
^ Now that I have some experience with them, I have to disagree. I spent a while in the Carvin shop in Hollywood trying amps, and I honestly don't know why they're recommended for metal so much around here. Maybe old school metal, but they're pretty much over glorified crunch amps.

My V3 can and has done anything Ive tried to do with it. It is a very different amp and takes a while to understand how to get a specific tone you want. Definently not close to a plug and play amp. The X100b amps also take a while to find your perfect sound and need a boost for some stuff. The graphic eq takes some getting used to. Maybe its just not your cup of tea? And over glorified crunch amps they are not
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I've been looking into Carvins, I'll definitely get a boost if I get one. I think most of these amps I'd want a boost with eventually. Especially a JCM800/clone or a Carvin
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I know Sleep has been knows to use the Laney 800 copy. Don't recall what it's called though, and Juno Temple is too hot as a caveman to care to look.
Sweet, love a good Sleep/Stoner tone, I'll look into it.
possibly but who cares? everyone uses boosts. boosts just tighten up the bottom end basically. People use boosts with Splawns, Mesas, Bogners, Laneys, whatever.

My only concern with the AOR/Pro Tubes would be the Quality Control. They have had their issues.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
possibly but who cares? everyone uses boosts. boosts just tighten up the bottom end basically. People use boosts with Splawns, Mesas, Bogners, Laneys, whatever.

My only concern with the AOR/Pro Tubes would be the Quality Control. They have had their issues.
No I have no problem with boosts, it's just if I'm gunna need to buy a boost on top of the amp and cab I wanna know

Yeah, I can see that. Hopefully I can find someone or some place where I can try one out, I really really dig the tone. Plus it would be nice to get a bit of a cheaper amp like that one and have more money for the cab. It obviously does Stoner just fine, and seems to get into some possibly Disma style territory. Just my kind of amp.

Liking all the choices in here though, this is giving me a lot clearer of an idea of what I want to save up to, thanks guys.
yeah - don't skimp on the cab (especially for what you play). A good 212 cab used with a closed back and decent speakers will be roughly $300 used.

there was an Orange Rockerverb halfstack that sold recently for under $1000 but I don't remember the specifics. That would be another good one. The JCM800 is a great option and can be tweaked but I'm guessing you want a darker tone. That is what I consider the Splawn, Laney, Orange, etc. At least the models we've discussed so far.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah - don't skimp on the cab (especially for what you play). A good 212 cab used with a closed back and decent speakers will be roughly $300 used.

there was an Orange Rockerverb halfstack that sold recently for under $1000 but I don't remember the specifics. That would be another good one. The JCM800 is a great option and can be tweaked but I'm guessing you want a darker tone. That is what I consider the Splawn, Laney, Orange, etc. At least the models we've discussed so far.

Ooo a Rockerverb? I've always been into Orange, specifically the Thunderverb(one of my favorite amps). Maybe I'll check that out and see if I can find a Rockerverb for cheap.

Yeah the JCM I do like a lot more now, but I liked the dark tones I heard from the ones you mentioned.

I'll check out the Laney for sure and get some ideas on it, I'll also look more into Splawn.

And to Ippon, yeah I like both to be honest.
I was the one who posted the Rockerverb halfstack 311, or at least I posted one lol. It sold for $900 on Nashville craigslist. Just find someone hard up for cash.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Haha I wish that would happen with me. Who knows, maybe I'll check up every now and then on Craigslist and Ebay or something and see if I can find one.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Haha I wish that would happen with me. Who knows, maybe I'll check up every hour on Craigslist and Ebay or something and see if I can find one.

Now its fixed 311 . Seriously, check as often as you can. Deals like that are gone very quick, that rockerverb100 halfstack was gone in two hours.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I check as often as possible because the best deals aren't there long. I once called a guy who had a Java Boost he wanted $40 for because he needed gas money. I don't really like it but thought I could flip it for some easy cash. I called him like thirty min after he posted it and he was already about to meet someone to sell it.

Also on Clist, check all nearby areas too. Most people will be willing to meet halfway. I check Knoxville, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, and Tri Cities usually when Im looking although Nashville usually has the best stuff cause you know, music city and everything.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent