Hello ,

I'm facing a difficult decision and I would like some opinions .

I've been playing the guitar for a few years now and I've made a band , started writing songs and so on . I need to start recording ideas , songs , and start gigging .
I have to choose between buying a tube amp or an effect processor .

A tube amp has the best sound , but it's harder to record with compared to an effect processor like those Line6 pods , and uncomfortable to carry to venues .
An effect processor does not sound organic , but you've got a lot of sounds in it , easy to record with and easy to carry around .

Bare in mind I've only just started playing in a band and at local venues , don't make a living out of it ... ( at least yet , you never know :P )

This being said , please give me your opinions .
Thank you

P.S. If anyone is up for the effect processor option , I would appreciate if you gave me some processor models to take into consideration.
If all you want to do is record into a computer, then some sort of digital interface/recording software is probably the way to go. But if you want to play with other people, you'll need an amp. Even with a top of the line processor, you're going to have to plug it into a P.A. or else get a power amp and a speaker cabinet, which essentially means an amplifier rig. And if you're just starting out, then your band's P.A. might well be something small that is meant only for the vocals and a monitor mix or two. In short, you're better off with an amplifier.

As for recording with one, just about everything recorded since the middle of the last decade was recorded with an amplifier and a microphone stuck in front of it. It certainly worked fine for a long, long time. It still does.

Another thing you'll need to decide is how much you can spend. There is a hell of a lot of difference between a Pod kidney bean and a Fractal Audio Axe FX or DigiDesign Eleven rackmount unit. The same is true for amplifiers. You can spend anywhere from a hundred dollars to a bloody king's ransom. How much can or will you spend?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I would never gig with an effects processor that wasn't an Digitech Eleven Rack or better. More than likely I would buy an Axe-FX at that point tho, cuz they are teh ballz.

My couple pennies: Get a tube amp, an SM57, and a decent recording interface and you'll be set for recording, and have good tonezz.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
get an amp, it will work for live and recording. Over the years, I have gotten away from processors and use an amp that will produce the sounds I wan on its own. Except for the occasional FX pedal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get a Peavey Vypyr Tube. Two birds with one stone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X