so say I'd want to learn some racer x/paul gilbert songs (technical difficulties seems challenging enough, seems like a song made up out of exercises), but i'm stuck at chops where i can play solo stuff by queen and pink floyd (basicly, average speed rock licks), should i just go for it? will speed come naturally as i keep practicing?

how does one practice/train to achieve the chops of racer x-ism?
suggestions for other songs are more than welcome if recommended
Quote by choocharooni
so say I'd want to learn some racer x/paul gilbert songs (technical difficulties seems challenging enough, seems like a song made up out of exercises), but i'm stuck at chops where i can play solo stuff by queen and pink floyd (basicly, average speed rock licks), should i just go for it? will speed come naturally as i keep practicing?

how does one practice/train to achieve the chops of racer x-ism?
suggestions for other songs are more than welcome if recommended

Yes, but you need to realize that it will take A LOT of time to get to that "pro level" speed and technique.

Just practice and practice
If you want to wail in the wake of Paul Gilbert, you'll want to start practicing alternate picking and string skipping. It will take a tremendous amount of time and effort, though, so consider yourself warned.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
yeah i was gonna learn it in parts indeed, because they seem like excellent exercises once slowed down
Paul Gilbert has loads of great instructional video's that are on youtube where he actually demonstrates his technique and suff. He shows some exercises which will work great in preparing for playing technical difficulties, as well as many other things.
Slash? You kidding; that's way to cliché, i can't stand hearing it. I'll give those Gilbert vids a try; any you recommend?

Also, more tips are more than welcome, this is all useful *bookmarks own thread*
Funny that I found this when I put up a full cover of technical difficulties yesterday ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4PohvsGpmg ) The solo is partly improvised but I can play the original too.

Maybe you would like some tips from someone that can play a lot of his stuff. I've been playing for about four years and I play several hours everyday. And there's two things that made me reach the level of playing that I am at today.

1. Practice shitloads. You shouldn't do it just for the sake of it, I don't, Paul gilbert certainly didn't. It should come naturally to play a lot because you love it.

2. Always push your limit. After 1-2 years of playing I attempted to learn solos and songs that were way harder than what I could play at the time, such as technical difficulties. This resulted in me getting a lot better.

2,5. Doing metronome exercises sometimes. But mainly I do not play with a metronome.
Quote by choocharooni
Slash? You kidding; that's way to cliché, i can't stand hearing it. I'll give those Gilbert vids a try; any you recommend?

Also, more tips are more than welcome, this is all useful *bookmarks own thread*

dude that was just a tip, you probably arent going to be able to jump from pink floyd to racer x in a short period of time.
i said slash becasue thats what i used to play when i was a beginner/intermediate player, it was a good way to get used to "higher speed" without killing myself with a metronome for 12 hours a day.
Quote by tappooh
dude that was just a tip, you probably arent going to be able to jump from pink floyd to racer x in a short period of time.
i said slash becasue thats what i used to play when i was a beginner/intermediate player, it was a good way to get used to "higher speed" without killing myself with a metronome for 12 hours a day.

I know buddy It's just that I've heard Slash waaay too much.
The secret to speed is perfect technique. Practice slowly and get used to making small economical motions with your fretting and picking hands with minimal tension. It will take a long time to reach the kind of speed that guys like Paul Gilbert have, but it's definitely doable.

To make sure you don't get discouraged, learn some other songs while you're practicing the Gilbert stuff that use similar techniques. That will not only give you some more short term positive feedback, but also some more different musical perspectives and different ways to apply the techniques you're learning. If you're looking at Technical Difficulties, you're gonna see a lot of string skipping and alternate picking. I used some Protest the Hero songs, like Turn Soonest to the Sea and Bone Marrow to practice some easier alternate picking and string skipping passages while practicing those techniques.
why does everyone say there is a lot of string skipping licks in techincal difficulties?
there are like 3 licks that involve string skipping, they all skip just one string and are played with legato so its nothing difficult.

the hardest part of the song is definitely to keep in sync with the accents on both down and upstrokes. the alternate picking lick at the end of the main riff is pretty hard as well as you need to reach up to the low e string on the higher frets so it might give you some trouble if you are using a les paul or if you have small hands.
would it be a better idea to start off with something by, lets say, john 5?
that guy is another one of my heroes, i like how he incorporates chicken picking into his playing and so forth... and i don't want to get discouraged too much, string skipping seems difficult enough.
Last edited by choocharooni at Nov 5, 2011,
Quote by tappooh
why does everyone say there is a lot of string skipping licks in techincal difficulties?
there are like 3 licks that involve string skipping, they all skip just one string and are played with legato so its nothing difficult.

the hardest part of the song is definitely to keep in sync with the accents on both down and upstrokes. the alternate picking lick at the end of the main riff is pretty hard as well as you need to reach up to the low e string on the higher frets so it might give you some trouble if you are using a les paul or if you have small hands.

Absolutely. For me, the alternate picking itself wasn't the problem but eventually I discovered after recording myself that the hardest part was to keep it in an even tempo.
Quote by tappooh
if you like paul gilbert you can try "viking kong" . not as hard as technical difficulties, there are some nice melodic patterns and you will learn some cool harmonic minor licks as well.

i love viking kong \m/
Quote by tappooh
yeah its one of my favourites as well, the main riff sounds really evil. A few weeks ago i was at the local guitar store and i started playing it... needless to say it raised a good amount of eyebrows.

even just that intro of viking kong messes me up big time... i cant put my palm on the bridge and hit the first 3 strings like that lol
Last edited by choocharooni at Nov 5, 2011,
Quote by tappooh

I much agree. I've spent probably a good year playing sig Gilbert licks like

---7-8-10---10-8-7 etc, and I think I've got it down pretty well. I've always tried to practise TD but its still a tad too hard, especially the part quoted above.

Tips wise, practise your string skipping (norwegian cowbell and scarified are pretty good) and practise some sig Gilbert licks as efficiently as possible.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by choocharooni
so what do you guys think are the best gilbert exercises ?

The one I posted above is probably the most well known Gilbert lick, the descending scale run in Technical Difficulties (the climax/part after the string skips in the intro) is also a very good one imo.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy