Hey this may sound weird but i wrote a riff and i can't really explain it musically. Ill show you what i mean. Its in the key of d by the way and its also in open d tuning.

D-12 14 11 7
A-0- 0 0 0
G-0- 0 0 0
D-0- 0 0 0
A-0- 0 0 0
D-0- 0 0 0

Sorry it transcibed so messy. I know there all d with variations but i don't no how to name the chords. Thanks.

D--12-14-11--7
A--0---0--0--0
G--0---0--0--0
D--0---0--0--0
A--0---0--0--0
D--0---0--0--0

Fixed it up for you.

This technically is using counterpoint theory. I'm not sure which species.

The first chord is Dsus2sus4. The second is G maj9 (omit 3.) The third is D#maj7b5. The last is G add9.
K so is there anyway i could play this in standard? Cause the Dsus 4 appears twice but they technically emphasize to different notes in the chord so they sound different? If u could tab something out i would really appreciate it
Quote by carnagereap666
I guess I need to review counterpoint and some other stuff.

yeah, do that
Quote by carnagereap666
This technically is using counterpoint theory. I'm not sure which species.

just because it uses oblique motion? by that logic, anything that uses the other three types of motion (parallel, similar, contrary) is also utilizing counterpoint theory. which basically means that all music uses counterpoint theory, which is simply not true.

i wouldn't even analyze them as separate chords. i'd look at the harmony as being Dsus4 and the melody as being D - E - C# - A. no need for that sus4add9 stuff. it's just a melody over a harmony.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i wouldn't even analyze them as separate chords. i'd look at the harmony as being Dsus4 and the melody as being D - E - C# - A. no need for that sus4add9 stuff. it's just a melody over a harmony.

This guy has it.