It's not the cable you need to worry about, but the sound card. You can use the same cable you use to plug it in your amp, but you need a soundboard that supports it.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Quote by guitarplaya322
What's the best kind of cable to get in order to plug my guitar directly into my computer?

I would reccomend a USB audio interface and micing up your amp, for less money you'll get a better sound. Don't plug your guitar into your microphone port on your PC unless you wanna fork out quite a bit for a new a soundcard. And if you do you'll need to know the specs of your motherboard, can it take the soundcard you want. If not, you'll need a new motherboard etc.

USB Audio interface.
Quote by AJScott
I would reccomend a USB audio interface and micing up your amp, for less money you'll get a better sound. Don't plug your guitar into your microphone port on your PC unless you wanna fork out quite a bit for a new a soundcard. And if you do you'll need to know the specs of your motherboard, can it take the soundcard you want. If not, you'll need a new motherboard etc.

USB Audio interface.

I have a macbook if that makes a difference. Don't know too much about computer specs and such.
Quote by guitarplaya322
I have a macbook if that makes a difference. Don't know too much about computer specs and such.

Hmm, your best option would be an audio interface. They don't cost much, get some software. If you're doing some basic mixing just recording guitar maybe a little bit of overdubbing there's decent free stuff out there like Reaper and Audacity.

Buy yourself an interface, they don't cost much for a basic one, with maybe an SM57 infront of your amplifier and you'll get a really nice sound. That is if you're using an amp.
a cheap but decent interface is a Line 6 GX1 USB interface. Works great on my Mac and PC too - they were $99 new but you can get a used one off Ebay fairly cheap. Only has 1 input but they work just fine for guitar.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
plugging your guitar directly into your computer can work, but it typically doesnt sound great and has some issues. i would highly suggest a usb interface if you can swing it.

if all you are recording is an electric guitar and you dont mind using software amp modelling, the line 6 gx studio is a nice choice. if you want something with a mic input, there are a few other options out there for a bit more (maudio fast track, line6 gx1 for example).
if you have a macbook don't worry about the sound card like everyone is saying, if you learn how to mix well the soundcard is irrelevant. Just get a 1/4inch to 1/8inch adapter and do it, plugins such as Sans Amp can sound amazing if you use them right.
SoundCloud
My Gear
Gibson ES 137
Peavey Milestone IV
Ibanez Soundgear (4string)
Squire acoustic (one of those beginner box ones, but I got it for free.)
Traynor Dyna Gain 60
Traynor Custom Reverb (1971)
Traynor Bassmaster (1971)
Vox T-15
Quote by JDJBrooks
if you have a macbook don't worry about the sound card like everyone is saying, if you learn how to mix well the soundcard is irrelevant. Just get a 1/4inch to 1/8inch adapter and do it, plugins such as Sans Amp can sound amazing if you use them right.

I'm a Mac User - trust me - once you use an interface you'll realize what you're missing with going direct-in to your soundcard.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by JDJBrooks

Agreed. Don't waste your money on an interface until you're used to it and have nice plugins etc. A little adapter into the line in is all you need
Quote by strangedogs
I'm a Mac User - trust me - once you use an interface you'll realize what you're missing with going direct-in to your soundcard.

lol I have Pro Tools and an MBox, which I know is not the best of interfaces, and I have work on much better, but I can get pretty much the same tone threw plugging direct in as I can with the MBox as an interface. It's all about knowing how to mix well.
SoundCloud
My Gear
Gibson ES 137
Peavey Milestone IV
Ibanez Soundgear (4string)
Squire acoustic (one of those beginner box ones, but I got it for free.)
Traynor Dyna Gain 60
Traynor Custom Reverb (1971)
Traynor Bassmaster (1971)
Vox T-15