So with the long-standing argument my band mate and I are having I was wondering if someone could once and for all end it!

My band mate argues I don't need to use a speaker cable to connect my amp head and cab together. He states any type of guitar cable would do the same purpose and that speaker cables are only used to connect pa's.

What do you guys think? Who's in the wrong here or are we both talking shite?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Stop arguing. Just let him hook his head up to his cab with a cheap Walmart guitar cable, and when he blows his ass up, then you can say "See, I told you I was right!".
NO. very wrong!!! tell him to never do that.

speaker cables generally used a twisted pair of leads equalling a larger overal core for larger currents. they are also unsheilded because they dont need to be given thier application.

guitar cables are typically 1 coaxial cable with a smaller core (because of the current they need to carry) and are heavily sheilded to keep noise out of the signal chain.

if you used a speaker cable for guiar - very noisy

HOWEVER,

if you use a guitar cable as a speaker cable, you have the potential to meltdown the cable conductor insude due to too much voltange which can literally lead to frying your amp for good. Big no no.

its not marketing, there is a reason they are seperate.
Don't ever use a guitar cable to connect your head and cab. It can ruin the transformer in your amp. I actually don't know why but it will.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Thank you. I was getting pissed off listening to him telling me I was talking nonsense.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Adam, you are correct in this argument.

technically, you could use a guitar cable for a brief moment, like if you had to perform a test at low volumes, and didn't have a speaker cable long enough or something but generally it is a big
Since he thinks speaker cables are for PA's only, you should ask him what he thinks the signal chain IS in a PA. If he answers with the correct response of "power amplifier to speaker cabinet" point out that THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME! You can also say that in the PA application a microphone is connected to the amp (not usually direct, but sometimes depending on the setup) via a microphone cable. Would he ever attempt to use adapters to put a microphone cable between amp and speaker cabs? If he would, then just stop arguing and let natural selection take its course.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
you're right
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He ****ing had my ampand cab connected with a focking patch cable. This guy does music production in tech and apparently builds cables!
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Don't freak. You can use a guitar cable as a speaker cable as long as you don't crank it and fry the cable. There isn't anything inherent in an instrument cable that will hurt your amp. The issue is that the conductors are small and can't carry a lot of current. The center conductor is encapsulated in nylon and can't dissipate heat.

But if you only play at low levels the guitar cable should handle it fine. I would really like to see someone demonstrate how much cranking it takes to burn an instrument cable. I imagine it would be pretty loud.
Quote by Adam124
He ****ing had my ampand cab connected with a focking patch cable. This guy does music production in tech and apparently builds cables!

I did sound/lighting work for nearly 15 years and trust me, you've got some real "winners" out there. And they're usually the ones who bluster the most.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
My amp is permanently at band practice so I tend to crank it whenever I can. I'm just glad I spotted that he had it hooked with a patch cable before I turned it on..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by fly135
Don't freak. You can use a guitar cable as a speaker cable as long as you don't crank it and fry the cable. There isn't anything inherent in an instrument cable that will hurt your amp. The issue is that the conductors are small and can't carry a lot of current. The center conductor is encapsulated in nylon and can't dissipate heat.
But if you only play at low levels the guitar cable should handle it fine. I would really like to see someone demonstrate how much cranking it takes to burn an instrument cable. I imagine it would be pretty loud.

He's not freaking out. He came to UG to get some answers. He plays in a band so I assume he gigs. Therefore, it is a bad idea. You just said it yourself, 'the conductors can't carry a lot of current and can't dissipate heat'.
It would be interesting to see how much cranking it takes for the transformer to melt although I doubt anyone would want to fry their amp.

Very helpful thread indeed guys. I've got plenty of points to let me friend know that he is in the wrong.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124

that's messed up. It's one thing thinking you know and taking a chance with your own gear. It's quite another risking someone else's.

I mean, if it didn't fry at the time, odds are it'll be fine (just don't let him do it again!), so don't worry.

But yeah use instrument cable in the future.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's messed up. It's one thing thinking you know and taking a chance with your own gear. It's quite another risking someone else's.

I mean, if it didn't fry at the time, odds are it'll be fine (just don't let him do it again!), so don't worry.

But yeah use instrument cable in the future.

Don't worry I didn't let him turn it on when it was connected with patch cables
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
ah ok
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So many words to say, "guitar cables can't handle the current a speaker requires when turned up and they blow, which then takes out the output transformer."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification