Title says it all. I'll be using this guitar exclusively in Drop C tuning for metal (BFMV, KSE, Mastodon) and shred (Steve Vai) with 11-54s.

I'm currently leaning towards the 220FR as it has a recessed trem and 24 frets, but quality-wise which one do you guys think will be better? I'll probably replace the pickups anyway so they aren't my number one concern.

Thanks, Rob
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Quality wise there will be next to no difference, currently all the kramers available are roughly the same price and use more or less the same hardware. Good guitars for the money, although yes you will definetly need to change the pickups and the floyds arent original floyds so wont be much good at staying in tune
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I was thinking of changing the bridge to a gotoh floyd, are they as good as OFRs?
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
^ yeah pretty much. Some people prefer OFRs, some people prefer gotohs. I have both, and they're a little different in feel and tone, but aside from that they're both excellent trems. The gotoh's a little stiffer in feel and a little warmer in tone, which you may or may not like.

Main thing to do is to check it's a direct swap... the studs on cheaper floyds are often a lot smaller.

I haven't tried either, but if you ask me the pacer looks way cooler, it's more 80s and i don't like the look of floyds on single cuts.

though the 24 frets would probably help for vai. the upper fret access probably isn't, though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Steve vais in drop c?
Upgrading the floyd?
I wouldnt bother on those honestly. Go used, get an ibanez rg5xx series. You'll get a better bridge, better build and slightly more tolerable stock pickups. By the time you upgrade the stuff on one of the kramers you'll be within budget of better guitars so its kinda a false economy really. The used ibanez rg5xx option would be cheap as chips and all they need is a pickup upgrade then you have a badass MIJ guitar with a badass bridge.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Nov 5, 2011,
+1

or wait for those new kramers. though they might be silly money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hell you'll be within budget for a real 80s kramer pacer once you start thinking about upgrading.. They arent that pricey really!
Quote by coolstoryangus
Steve vais in drop c?

Bad Horsie is.

And i already have an RG so i was looking for something a little different
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
One tune... maybe yeah..
Also a rg550/570 et all would be quite the upgrade over your 350 fwiw.
Though you could look at some other 80s badass guitars from the likes of charvel MIJ, kramer (no old strikers or aerostars though) etc for a kickass shredder used that would have a different enough feel to your current rg if you want a change.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Nov 5, 2011,
ah ok

what about one of the charvel pro mods? i mean as angus says, by the time you buy the gotoh (unless you already have one) and new pickups you're not going to be a million miles from the price of the charvel.

unless i'm completely wrong regarding prices, which is possible.

EDIT: are you actually called angus or is it just a funny username? Always meant to ask that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How would the Jackson DX10D compare to these two?
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
not sure, haven't tried it yet, but it's not MIJ as far as i'm aware.

^ ah ok, sweet
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?