Right so here is the situation:
I play mostly in my bedroom at the moment but i am in a band and we have just started gigging so i need an amp to use that can be sound.

The amp needs to be loud enough to do a small gig but still sound good on lower, more bedroom acceptable, volumes

I play mostly metal (think metallica, trivium) and rock stuff but i often flick over to clean and play loads of blues when I'm practising so versatility is very important (again important that its good on lower volumes)

I own a schecter blackjack C1 (not the ATX, so passive pups) and a vintage V100 lemon drop

My budget is a little non exitent at the moment but we shall see after the holiday season how much i can scrape together so for now lets say £300-£500 (about $480-$800)

I'm in the UK, London isnt too hard to get too but my nearest major store would be GAK.

I am willing to go used as long as its for something decent. Reverb is always nice but i dont mind going without until i get a decent pedal.

Not fussed about combo or head, honestly I'm not sure which would be best which is why I'm asking

Obviously i know the best way to choose is to go try out a bunch but i would just like to get an idea of stuff to look for as I'm not the most knowledgeable on amps and so i can plan to go to the stores that have everything you guys can recommend me

Thanks for taking the time to respond
I'm bad at Life
Last edited by Archieisted at Nov 5, 2011,
Think about the Peavey Vypyr tube series. You can get a 60w tube Vypyr for $450 ( £280) so that's under your budget and it should work pretty well. You could also go for the 120w Tube Vypyr for $650 ( £472) which should provide you with plenty of power. I have a Vypyr 75w amp with analog distortion and it sounds great, so I'd imagine that the same amp with Tube distortion would sound 10x better.
Quote by 95thFallout
Location? New or used? Reverb? Combo or Head?

I'm in the UK, London isnt too hard to get too but my nearest major store would be GAK. I am willing to go used as long as its for something decent. Reverb is always nice but i dont mind going without until i get a decent pedal.
Not fussed about combo or head, honestly I'm not sure which would be best which is why I'm asking
I'm bad at Life
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
Think about the Peavey Vypyr tube series. You can get a 60w tube Vypyr for $450 ( £280) so that's under your budget and it should work pretty well. You could also go for the 120w Tube Vypyr for $650 ( £472) which should provide you with plenty of power. I have a Vypyr 75w amp with analog distortion and it sounds great, so I'd imagine that the same amp with Tube distortion would sound 10x better.

do i really need that much power? Wouldnt that make the amp harder to get to crunch up?
I'm bad at Life
Quote by Archieisted
do i really need that much power? Wouldnt that make the amp harder to get to crunch up?

No, you probably wont need that much power, but It might be nice to have. Especially if you're going to be playing larger clubs without a PA system. And it could make it a bit harder to crunch up, but the amp comes with a "power sponge" knob next to the volume knob that can adjust the output level of the amp.

If you want the clean headroom, the higher wattage helps. On the other hand, if you do desire that easy crunchy breakup even on a clean channel, lower wattage makes sense. If you intend to be running some dirt boxes for gain a lot, then the higher wattage makes sense for the purpose of having a pristine clean as one's starting point. Kind of depends.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Nov 5, 2011,
K well in regards to combo or head there isn't too much of a difference. Combo's are usually cheaper in the long run due to you having to buy a head and a cabinet, although they don't always looks as cool and are less customizable. I think a combo would definitely suit you better.

Since your in the UK check out a company called Blackstar. It was started from a bunch of people who left Marshall cause the company refused there ideas. They then created there own company.

The amp i would recommend from them would be the Blackstar Venue Studio 20. It is an all tube amp and has a Celestion speaker. Very highly reviewed and can do all the genres you listed. It runs for about $600 new here in the U.S. so i'm sure it is somewhere close to that in the UK. Heres the link for it read up.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-Venue-Series-HT-Studio-20-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-107220881-i1521957.gc
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
No, you probably wont need that much power, but It might be nice to have. Especially if you're going to be playing larger clubs without a PA system. And it could make it a bit harder to crunch up, but the amp comes with a "power sponge" knob next to the volume knob that can adjust the output level of the amp.

ah thats pretty cool, will defiantly check it out then thanks

any other suggestions?
I'm bad at Life
Blackstar ht-20. But as far as gigs I would go with the one I got. Blackstar ht club 40. Plenty loud enough for a gig and still quiet enough for a bedroom.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by Archieisted

For bedrooms and bars you can get by on 20 tube watts, no problem. My 40 watt Fender Blues DRI is too loud for most bars round here. 120 watts is MASSIVE for anything short of outdoor stadium gigs where you'd just mic it up to the p.a. anyway. Speaking of, do you have access to a p.a.? Because that widens your options and is more performance friendly for your band mates and audience.

The standard for blues/rock/metal would be a Marshall JCM or TSL. There's a TSL at a pawn shop down the street for around $800 and it works great so you should be able to buy one from a private party for less. If you want something darker voiced there's the Peavey ValveKings that have a love/hate reputation. Not the best crunch sound, however.

I don't have any experience with the Vypyr series. Just remember that an amp modeling a classic sound rarely sounds anything like the real thing to someone who has heard it.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by winterXsolstice
orange tiny terror?

from what I've seen just not enough gain, i look at the dark terror but I'm not a fan of the whole lack of EQ settings. Its also just too expensive
I'm bad at Life
I think for where you're at just now that a combo is just the right thing.

Like you I am a metal + rock player but I also like to switch to clean and play some indie and folk on my guitar (I have a cheap Telecaster copy that I got for £35, I then swapped out the pickups for better ones) The amp I use is a Line 6 Spider IV 75. It's a very versatile modelling amp that comes pre-loaded with tonnes of pre-sets. It's a modelling amp so you have a whole range of effects at your finger tips including gain boosts, flanger, reverb, echos, delay, pitch bend (which can be coupled with a Line 6 FBV foot controller pedal), smart harmonies, tremolo and a whole lot more. Theres also an on-board tuner, metronome and quick looper. Visit this website for more information including demo videos: http://line6.com/spideriv/

My bands guitarist (which I play drums for) uses this same amp as does this same bands other guitarist, My friends band uses the 150W combo version

there are a whole range of other amps you can use depending on if you want valves, digital, modelling or simple. Modelling means you have a whole range of built in effects. simple has barely any. Valve amps give a warmer sound which is different for every guitar and is the truest sound you can get from a guitar whereas with a digital amp if you have 2 completely different guitar with the same pickups they will sound exactly the same.

Marshall MG series amps are pretty good. These are the amps my schools music department have and their distortion is good and although they are still digital amps they have limited effects which are mainly just delay, flanger, delay and chorus. Again the 75W version should be sufficient.

Laney amps where the company who fueled british heavy metal in its early days and still today with the likes of Tony Iommi as a major indorsee with them. It may be worthwhile having a look into one of their budget ranges.

All in all the best thing to do is go into a music shop (If you live in Britain GuitarGuitar is a great store with a wide range of amps). If you're still unsure ask one of the shop assistants, they will know best and if you have the money in hand they will be more than happy to let you try out as many amps as you desire before you buy. Just tell them exactly what you're looking for and they will pick you a winner.
The other thing you could do is buy a cheap, good sounding, blues/indie amp and just blow the rest of your money on a pedalboard. That wayyou have a really nice clean sound and your pedal board is personalised to every effect and distortion etc. that you want. If I had the money this is probably what I would do although for the pedal board I would say all you need is a metal distortion pedal, a noise gate, delay pedal and maybe a wah wah/volume pedal. a Wah Wah pedal half open gives a really nice treble boost to your distortion making it really creamy and crunchy (listen to the bridge in Caustic Are The Ties That Bind by Trivium to see what I mean), quite a lot of guitarists I know prefer this method but it can be a little more expensive depending on what pedals you buy + the pedal board itself
what's more important? the metal or the versatility? EDIT: what do you mean by rock? do you play more rock or metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For your money as i said above and someone else said it check out Blackstar don't i repeat don't buy Line 6 or the Marshall Mg series there digital modelling and too be quite honest you can get yourself a true blue tube amp which undeniably sounds better. Buying good now will save you money down the line when you feel the need to upgrade. As for wattages anything over 50 Watts is too much for home practice really and would be a waste of money. As i said do what you think is best but make sure you read around and check out the reviews and demos before you buy.
ahahahaha

first of all, the mg's don't use digital modelling- though i'd agree they don't sound good and you should avoid them.

secondly, depending on the tone you want, more than 50 watts might be fine for home use- and it's not like under 50 watts tube is quiet enough for home use if you really want to crank it.

thirdly, blackstars (the ht series, anyway) aren't all-tube, they have diode clipping, op-amp based gain stages and a transistor-based phase inverter. they probably sound a heck of a lot better than an MG or line 6 spider (i haven't tried them, but i'd have no problem affording them that benefit of the doubt), but they aren't really "true tube" amps, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Your confusing the Venue with the 5 Series which did have a diode and even if that is true it doesn't take away from them being amazing amps. And just as a basic line if he wants to play metal and rock with a tube he is gonna need some good tube saturation to get a amazing sound and with a 100 watt amp at bedroom volume would be impossible unless he were to get an attenuator but thats a whole other story
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's more important? the metal or the versatility? EDIT: what do you mean by rock? do you play more rock or metal?

defiantly metal, think metallica/trivium tones (i love triviums tone of the new album)
In song writing i do like a clean to contrast the metal tone
I'm bad at Life
whats the opinion on the peavey 6505 plus 112? The gain tones sound awesome from what I've heard but I have been told its not great for bedroom levels
I'm bad at Life
I'm not a fan of Peavey but thats my personnel taste and i've heard bad things about it as well as low volumes.
I think a valveking head would be good they're dirt cheap and have a nice clean sound although the gain may be a bit lacking for your style so you would maybe want a tubescream
well the 6505 is one of THE industry standards for metal. Trivium has recorded most everything they have done with it. it might not get metallica dead on, but nothing short of several thousand dollars will. as far bedroom volume, don't worry about it. If you want an amp for metal gigging, you need something with some real output brother. You need lots of clean headroom. It'll sound better than most low-end practice amps would at bedroom volume, and will sound glorious at gig volumes. bunch of misinfo in this thread. I'd grab the 6505 or if you can nab one a marshall jcm 2000 dsl. both have enough gain, but a lot of people call the marshall fizzy, so it might not be for you. other than that, there are some pretty nice laneys with plenty of gain, I'm sure tom's would do you nicely (I'd make a great adbot, see that subtlety?)
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^or a peavey ultra so he can actually have a clean sound.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
i use a hybrid yube Laney LV300T for pretty much exactly what you described and it works a treat.the clean channel is super clean and crisp with the drive one channel going from slightly dirty clean to a thick classic rock/blues overdrive.the drive 2 channel is high gain with a classic british voice similar to old marshalls before they started putting quantity before quality. that being said it you might want to put a booster pedal before it if you want a modern hyper gain sound like pantera. your budget can go beyond this so i suggest looking at other higher end laneys but they are a great manufacturer and they are really under rated

EDIT: maybe look into the VC30.they are about 500 pounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po3xLCBYXKY
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Last edited by Eggmond at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by bluestratplayer

do they even make these anymore? Couldnt find one local to me
I'm bad at Life
Quote by bluestratplayer

I remove my vote for the 6505 and place on the ultra. I forget about the poor underloved ultra. I'd still suggest looking at a dsl though, might be what you need.

EDIT: I forgot to add, they no longer make them new, but they go for 300-400 on ebay like, all the time. Peavey has some other old amps for cheap that might suit, I think the triumph is supposed pretty metal, and the vtm60. But definitely the Ultra, awesome amp, not quite as straight up brootzy as a 6505, but a much better lead amp and as stated it actually has a "clean" clean channel
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by 95thFallout
(a) Your confusing the Venue with the 5 Series which did have a diode and (b) even if that is true it doesn't take away from them being amazing amps. (c) And just as a basic line if he wants to play metal and rock with a tube he is gonna need some good tube saturation to get a amazing sound and with a 100 watt amp at bedroom volume would be impossible unless he were to get an attenuator but thats a whole other story

(a) nah i'm pretty sure the venue series has to be hybrid too. They have a fair bit of preamp gain and only two preamp tubes (one of which has to be the PI if it's all-tube), apart from maybe the 100 watter).

(b) sure

(c) sure, but that's mainly preamp saturation which isn't a whole heap to do with the loudness (don't get me wrong, they'll sound better loud, just it's not as necessary) and an od used as a boost can work wonders for that at lower volumes.

Quote by Archieisted
defiantly metal, think metallica/trivium tones (i love triviums tone of the new album)
In song writing i do like a clean to contrast the metal tone

thanks

newer or older metallica and trivium?

I could be wrong, but i think trivium has been moving more to a hot-rod 80s type of tone (whereas they were modern high gain 6505 type tone on the early albums).

Metallica is kind of the opposite early metallica was hot rod marshall, later metallica is more modern high gain amps.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by Archieisted
whats the opinion on the peavey 6505 plus 112? The gain tones sound awesome from what I've heard but I have been told its not great for bedroom levels

i have one, love it. it gets quiet enough to use at home and also gets way too loud at practices. i don't think its ever been louder than 6 with a full band going. the whole clean channel sucking thing is a myth, it sounds good to me. oh and i'm pretty sure trivium uses a 6505 live so this will get pretty close to their sound, just don't expect it to sound exactly like it. if you do decide to get this amp i recommend getting a green rhino overdrive, you're going to want an od of some sort with this pedal the difference is night and day.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) nah i'm pretty sure the venue series has to be hybrid too. They have a fair bit of preamp gain and only two preamp tubes (one of which has to be the PI if it's all-tube), apart from maybe the 100 watter).

(b) sure

(c) sure, but that's mainly preamp saturation which isn't a whole heap to do with the loudness (don't get me wrong, they'll sound better loud, just it's not as necessary) and an od used as a boost can work wonders for that at lower volumes.

thanks

I could be wrong, but i think trivium has been moving more to a hot-rod 80s type of tone (whereas they were modern high gain 6505 type tone on the early albums).

Metallica is kind of the opposite early metallica was hot rod marshall, later metallica is more modern high gain amps.

Nah, trivium just recorded their newest album with a 5150. One of the solos on the last album (shogun) was done with a marshall, but it was just that one I think. They pretty much have been using 5150/6505s for their entire career as a band.

EDIT: visit uberproaudio, they have a list of all the different live amps, but in the studio it has been pretty consistent.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc

(b) sure

thanks

defiantly new trivium. Metallica more likely new tones as well. I think corey of trivium uses a 5150 at the moment while matt uses a marshall of some kind
I'm bad at Life
ah right ok

yeah a 6505 would probably be the safer choice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?