Hi!
On Tuesday I'm gonna have my final test before I get my green beret, a march of around 70-100 km with about 40 kg of equipment and 30 hours to do it. There's also a lot of "pit-stops" along the way including: running with at least some of the equipment a couple of km, crossing some water with all the equipment (swimming or just walking through it if shallow enough), moving some sand sacks, an attack and so on. We also get 3h of sleep in a so called Ranger's Grave which we will dig for us.
So this will basically be a real pain in the ass so I'm trying to prepare myself as good as possible before it, but all I can think of is to drink a lot of water, sleep and eat carbon hydrates. Which leads me to my question: what more could I do to prepare for this?

Also, if someone else has done something similar, tips on for instance how to handle the weigh of the equipment or just anything else really, I would be glad to hear it.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Quote by Muffinz
Hi!

So this will basically be a real pain in the ass so I'm trying to prepare myself as good as possible before it, but all I can think of is to drink a lot of water, sleep and eat carbon hydrates. Which leads me to my question: what more could I do to prepare for this?

Also, if someone else has done something similar, tips on for instance how to handle the weigh of the equipment or just anything else really, I would be glad to hear it.

No man urdoinitwrong!

But I once walked from Tesco with 3 bags of shopping including washing powder.

I feel you brah. Stay strong compadre
Last edited by ButtHurt© at Nov 5, 2011,
Play lots of guitar, it will make your fingers stronger.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
You're asking us? You're the one who's gonna be a ****ing green beret. I'm just a Navy recruit and most of the people here are scrawny teens.

Good luck though. Seriously. I wanted to apply for SEAL but I have a lot of working out to do before I can handle it.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Tape up your feet and back with some good zinc oxide tape. Last thing you need is blisters.
Quote by rgrockr
You're asking us? You're the one who's gonna be a ****ing green beret. I'm just a Navy recruit and most of the people here are scrawny teens.

+1
Obviously what you're doing is much more intense than a marathon. But I found that some people cramp up during marathons because their lack of sodium or something, so people bring salt packets while they run. Maybe it'll help? I didn't bring any salt packets during my first marathon and only drank water and sports drinks, and had a few gels here and there, but I still cramped like a mofo.
Quote by burndttoast
Obviously what you're doing is much more intense than a marathon. But I found that some people cramp up during marathons because their lack of sodium or something, so people bring salt packets while they run. Maybe it'll help? I didn't bring any salt packets during my first marathon and only drank water and sports drinks, and had a few gels here and there, but I still cramped like a mofo.

A lack of magnesium is the usual cause of cramping, I suffer from it a lot. I take a multi-vitamin plus a dedicated magnesium tablet and I still sometimes cramp. Tonic water is good before exercise if you're prone to cramping because it contains Quinine, but that can react with some medications, so best to check if you can have that first.
I'm not in any form of military, but i recommend getting carbs the night before.

Also, meditate beforehand if you can and mentally prepare yourself, be a Jedi.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Quote by Next Hendrix
I'm not in any form of military, but i recommend getting carbs the night before.

Also, masturbate beforehand if you can and mentally prepare yourself, be a Jedi.

fixed. good bit of release and you'll be running all the way
Im not sure you can prepare for hell? Im not military in any way but this test sounds like the entire point of it is to tear you apart mentally and physically. I guess you either got it or you dont.
Quote by Muffinz

Carbo loading can be very helpful but you need to be sure you're not sacrificing of your other calories and such for more carbs. A well balanced meal with everything you need and a lot of carbs will go a lot longer way than a meal with mostly just carbs.

Keeping your pack and other equipment high and tight and well balanced. Loose low slung equipment takes more effort to carry in my experience of going on week long hikes with a lot of stuff strapped to my back.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Well allow me to preface this piece of advice with a warning that I've never gone through anything remotely that grueling and I doubt I will any time soon. But when I do shit that sucks, you know like having to spend several hours studying for an exam, I like to make 5 hour energy/red bull cocktails to keep my energy up.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Well allow me to preface this piece of advice with a warning that I've never gone through anything remotely that grueling and I doubt I will any time soon. But when I do shit that sucks, you know like having to spend several hours studying for an exam, I like to make 5 hour energy/red bull cocktails to keep my energy up.

That was the most useless advice in the history of useless advice, you should be ashamed of yourself, really, go to a corner and stand there and think about what you've done.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
shove a twinkie up your ass so you can have a sugar boost when you need it
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Drink an ass ton of water and eat nothing but spaghetti with meat sauce. Protein and carbs are what you need above all else. Make sure you get a lot of sleep too. Don't touch coffee at all.

You've got all my respect and support bro. I say it all the time but I don't care. I respect anyone who has the balls to go into the army even if I don't support the wars we get in or killing. Lord knows I don't have those kind of juevos.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
That was the most useless advice in the history of useless advice, you should be ashamed of yourself, really, go to a corner and stand there and think about what you've done.

OK LET'S SEE YOUR ADVICE JEWCHORDS
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
OK LET'S SEE YOUR ADVICE JEWCHORDS

A better advice than yours: poop before you run.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
That's actually pretty sensible advice.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Don't do your boots up to far up your ankle as when you get going your legs swell and it will reduce the shin pains at the start if they are loose. Also I always find it easier to shuffle than walk and swing your rifle to get momentum, it helps a lot even if it's just mentally.

I'm sure you probably know all this already if you're going for a green beret anyway.
For serious advice, I could give a little insight I suppose. This summer I trekked 250km in a week and found ways to help with pain/struggle.

For the purpose of the exercise, your feet are the most important things in your world. Cut toe-nails. Keep they as dry as possible. Moisture and heat cause blisters. Tape/Compeed your heat-spots (toes, heal and ball) and take any opportunity you can to either change socks or dry them. Don't use plasters/bandaids designed for wounds, the padding will slip on the skin and make blisters worse.

With decent boots you should avoid blisters over 100km... but if you get one and it hurts, drain it with a sterilized needle and clean it.

If part of your foot is in pain from pressure, loosen one of the boot-laces that is compressing that area, but don't forget to double-lace the one above it so the boot doesn't slip.

Backpack placement is vital, especially with that weight. Your hips should take the weight NOT your shoulders/back. The shoulder straps should only be there to stop the pack falling off, not to support any weight. Keep heavy things close to your body, light things on the outside of the pack.

Water is important to reduce chance of aches, remember to get electrolytes if you're consuming lots of water. Salty nuts are good.

When it's mentally tough, set small goals... ie to get up the next hill, not to finish the whole exercise.
Try and give helping words to somebody who's weaker than you... this will make you both feel better.

If permitted, music can really push you along.
Last edited by ButtHurt© at Nov 5, 2011,
Don't masturbate in preparation, you will then have more testosterone in your body, and you'll be able to handle more.

Edit:

Quote by ButtHurt©

If permitted, music can really push you along.

He's in the army, in the army they sing. That's what I've got from movies.
DeVillains!
Last edited by Ylasto at Nov 5, 2011,
Quote by Ylasto

He's in the army, in the army they sing. That's what I've got from movies.

Here's fourteen shillings on the drum
For those who'll volunteer to come
To list and fight the foe today
Over the hills and far away

O'er the hills and o'er the main
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain
King George commands and we obey
Over the hills and far away

...etc.

Muffinz, I don't think I've got any advice that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say good luck.
UPDATE: Just wanted to let you all know that I just returned from the march and got my green beret! The worst part was the last ~15 km which we more or less limped forward, because of the condition of our feet. The second worst part was when we woke up at 4 AM and it was about zero degrees Celsius and we all were pretty cold, then we had to swim to some island, but once we had been in the water for a while we didn't really feel the cold anymore, just numbness.

Anyways, now I'm gonna open up a Coke and chill hard
You'll Never Walk Alone!
You asked UG about finishing the Q Course?

LOL

Anyways, good for you. Now get out of your stupid ****ing pipeline and actually do something (ie. deploy)

EDIT: Nevermind, you're Finnish right?
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Nov 9, 2011,
Quote by Muffinz
UPDATE: Just wanted to let you all know that I just returned from the march and got my green beret! The worst part was the last ~15 km which we more or less limped forward, because of the condition of our feet. The second worst part was when we woke up at 4 AM and it was about zero degrees Celsius and we all were pretty cold, then we had to swim to some island, but once we had been in the water for a while we didn't really feel the cold anymore, just numbness.

Anyways, now I'm gonna open up a Coke and chill hard

Congratulations man.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX