I ordered a (offered $450, but were out of B stock so they offered me an A stock for full asking price) Vox AC15C1 for $479. I found an Egnater Tweaker in decent shape for a lesser price. Should I stick with the Vox or return it?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Both excellent amps. I'd think the Tweaker would overlap less with your RA, but it also seems foolish to swap the AC15 just because the Tweaker is cheaper. If you're not pleased with the Vox, that's another story.
the egg has alot more gain on tap. The vox will get you a nice crunch, but w/out a drive pedal in front of it, youre limitited to vox-chime-like cleans, which are amazing, to slightly over driven, which sounds even better. But with the egg, youre going to get a nice slightly over driven tone, all the way to a gnarly screaming tone w/ gain that goes for days. But.. the cleans are shit. And no pedal can clean up a dirty amp. But with the the vox, you can get a good drive pedal, and have a much more versatile amp. so vox > egg

oh, and vox amps, in my personal experience, are way more reliable than the eggs.
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
Do you like the Vox? I have one and love it, but if you want variety (or you're still finding your core sound), you'd probably do better with the Tweaker. In an oversimplified way of thinking, the Vox does one thing really really well, the Tweaker does lots of things well. Both decent amps, but it depends on your music style playing and all that jazz. In terms of value, I would keep the Vox; I believe it's a better amp than the Tweaker and it's resale value would say the same, but it's really all preference... more expensive does not always mean better for your style. =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
I love Vox but I'm concerned with certain things. I mostly play with people who play styles suited to the Vox sound, but I also play other things as well. I suppose I'll put the Vox through it's paces first and see what pedals could add those occasional different tones I play. I have a Rat 2, but it's a bit flubby sounding on the palm mutes.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Nov 5, 2011,
The Vox is way better. I find much of the gain on the tweaker unusable, as it will get muffled and flubby. What the tweaker does well, the vox does alot better.
Vox amps are amazing man, keep it and get a tubescreamer or something if you need more gain.
That Rat will sound a lot better through your Vox. I was stuck between Vox and Egnater too, until I realized I was trying to get the Egnaters to sound like a Vox. If you get an AC15, you want to make sure the Vox sound is "your sound," and that anything else can be achieved by supplementing with pedals.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
right, like said above, you want to make sure that the Vox is your core sound, and everything else can be adjusted through EQing and pedals.

That being said, the sweet spot on the Vox (playing through a strat) is using the Top Boost jack, keep the preamp volume between noon and 3 o clock, the treble around the same as the preamp volume, and the bass pot below 8 o clock, and the master volume at taste. You'll get some really sweet crunchy tones that you can clean up with the guitars volume knob (the Vox is very responsive to the guitar volume - something that you can't get out of many pedals).

Granted, the Vox is not a high gain amp, and using high gain pedals on the Vox is not optimal. The Rat can get a little too high, but if set properly, it should be ok. Always experiment with the chemistry of the amp's EQ settings and volume to the pedals EQ settings and volume and the guitar's tone and volume pots. You'll find that all there are so interactive and dependent on each other to get different sounds.

I've never owned a Tweaker, so I don't know how responsive it is to volume, but yeah go through the paces with the Vox; most places give you a few weeks to return stuff anyways. Keep in mind that we as humans seem to always have a "grass is greener on the other side" mentality that can keep you from appreciating the Vox-y treasure in front of you. You can fight the flubbiness by turning down the bass and boosting the treble with a treble booster, preferably germanium. Good luck and let us know what how things turn out

EDIT: I just looked at your profile and saw you play a strat? The neck pickup is beautiful through the Vox, and I think you'll get more out of the Fulldrive Mosfet pedal with this amp. Try running the pedal on low gain settings and use the boost function to drive the preamp tubes of the Vox (I do the same with my clone MOSFET boost pedal and it sounds very Dave Grohl-y/Foo Fighters). I didn't know you play at a church too, awesome! I play at a church as well and I think the Vox is more suited for that as you can get beautiful chime-y low gain sounds that lend themselves nicely for all sorts of praise and worship. Get a MemoryMan Deluxe analogue delay (don't cheap out and get the Memory boy, not the same) and you're set (think U2-like sounds).
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at Nov 5, 2011,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely stick with the Vox for now. I also might have to take cheeekens up on the delay suggestion. My DL4 just stopped working.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5