Page 1 of 2
It's about that time of year when I need to start looking for a new amp.

Things I'm looking for:

Price: no more than $300

Distortion, and lots of it. I'd like it to be really distorted, but still clear. Not like grindcore or early Cannibal Corpse. Something along the lines of Dream Theater or Symphony X. I'd rather not have to use an effects pedal.

Volume: I currently use a 15 watt Marshall and it doesn't have enough volume (or distortion). I play in my basement with a drummer and I need more volume. And my basement is probably as big as yore garage.

Effects/knobs: Delay/reverb. Multiple channels would be nice.

Brand: anything but Peavy. I don't have anything aginst them, I just don't like the name, and definitely don't want it on my amp.

Sound: thick and heavy, similar to Black Label Society or recent Cannibal Corpse. Clear but distorted leads, like Symphony X, Testament, and Dream theater.

I play Thrash, power metal, doom metal, and shred.

Any suggestions? I don't really need this amp anytime soon, but I need it sometime in the future and I figured now would be a good time to figure out what I need.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by thrashdeth

Brand: anything but Peavy. I don't have anything aginst them, I just don't like the name, and definitely don't want it on my amp.

But seriously, good luck finding anything loud enough with tone you like that actually sounds good from any other brand in your price range.

I'd honestly suggest saving up more.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As much as I hate to say it, you'll probably need more cash to get what you're after.
If you're really lucky you'll get like a Peavey ultra combo or peavey triumpth combo or something like that.
Unfortunately you don't like the brand name so you've pretty much offputted any chance of getting a good amp at your budget.
You could look into the jet city 20 combo i suppose with a boost it'll get there...
Quote by Offworld92
I'd honestly suggest saving up more.

The price is general, I just put it on there to make sure no wise cracks start suggesting JCM800's and Dual-Rectifiers and other amps I'll never be able to afford.
Quote by Diamond Dave

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by thrashdeth
The price is general, I just put it on there to make sure no wise cracks start suggesting JCM800's and Dual-Rectifiers and other amps I'll never be able to afford.

Then what's the maximum you will be able to afford?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by telemetal
As much as I hate to say it, you'll probably need more cash to get what you're after.

As much as I hate to say it, I would have recommended the vypyr for TS.

Just noticed that TS has a Dean avatar but doesn't want a peavey amp....I'm exaggerating this but its kinda like saying I have a LP and want an amp, no Marshalls though.

Of course tone is entirely subjective but is it really that hard to take a piece of paper with "Dean" printed on it and stick it in front of the peavey logo?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
As much as I hate to say it, I would have recommended the vypyr for TS.

Just noticed that TS has a Dean avatar but doesn't want a peavey amp....I'm exaggerating this but its kinda like saying I have a LP and want an amp, no Marshalls though.

Of course tone is entirely subjective but is it really that hard to take a piece of paper with "Dean" printed on it and stick it in front of the peavey logo?

Yeah, there's just some brands that I just don't like, like Gibson, Ibanez, Peavey. Perhaps I am being too judgemental on peavey because of the name. I think I'll look into the vyper.

What do you guys think about the Line 6 spider series?
Quote by Diamond Dave

^alrite for a beginner, the vypyr is much better though
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by thrashdeth
Yeah, there's just some brands that I just don't like, like Gibson, Ibanez, Peavey. Perhaps I am being too judgemental on peavey because of the name. I think I'll look into the vyper.

What do you guys think about the Line 6 spider series?
The Spiders are fucking terrible. The Vypyr is the best amp you can get in your price range, but you don't like Peavey's name, so...

You could have a look at a Vox VT of some sort. I STRONGLY suggest saving up more money, you'll have way more options.
For the style you want the Vypyr is the clear option for your price range. They're very much affordable, have a number of amps around 200-300 that will be much louder than your MG, and frankly the tube amps you'll get under that price range ( unless you luck out on a used bargain or some such ) wouldn't stand up to it for versatility or simply being able to deliver a well-composed, tight sounding gain...sans expensive pedals.

EDIT - Also this
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I STRONGLY suggest saving up more money, you'll have way more options.
Last edited by lumberjack at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I STRONGLY suggest saving up more money, you'll have way more options.

Yeah, I'll Definitely save up some more money... that way I don't end up buying a peavy

So let's just say Price: around $500. What would you recommend around that price range that doesn't use the number '6505', or begin with the phrase 'save yore money and buy a 6505'?
Quote by Diamond Dave

Quote by thrashdeth
Yeah, I'll Definitely save up some more money... that way I don't end up buying a peavy

So let's just say Price: around $500. What would you recommend around that price range that doesn't use the number '6505', or begin with the phrase 'save yore money and buy a 6505'?

Peavey 5150?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by thrashdeth
Glad you asked:

Jet City JCA5012c (NOT the 5212)
Jet City 2212c
Blackstar HT 20
Carvin V3Mc
Bugera 6262 (which is the same damn thing as the 6505 BTW)
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by thrashdeth
So let's just say Price: around $500.

In that range I'd start looking at the Blackstar HT stuff. Peavey tube combos in this range ( used ) are still some of your best options, though. I can't attest to the Jet City stuff, but above the Tweaker was recommended, and although it's versetile, I think you may find ( at least I personally thought so ) the gain was a little too "sweet", or syrupy, for a tight modern tone. But that's just me.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Glad you asked:

Jet City JCA5012c (NOT the 5212)
Jet City 2212c
Blackstar HT 20
Carvin V3Mc
Bugera 6262 (which is the same damn thing as the 6505 BTW)
Egnater Tweaker

that's more or what I was looking for.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Peavey Ultra. Like $200-250 used. Rip off the peavey badge and enjoy the tones and stop worrying about what the **** your amp says on it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by pinheadslts75
I'll recommend Jet City over Bugera or Blackstar. Egnater and Carvin are also pretty good.

ONLY the JCA5012c, 2212c, or 22h should he go with Jet City. Those are the only ones in his price range that can get high-gain metal without a significant OD boost.

Out of all of those, I'd go with the JCA5012c due to its closed back design and headroom. Should suit your needs perfectly.
Exactly what don't you like about Peavey amps? I can see someone not liking s specific tone from one of their amps, but they all don't sound the same :P Last time I checked, the number one thing in buying an amp is to find one that sounds great, not what they look like!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Idea!

Buy a Peavey amp despite the fact that you dislike them for no actual reason
Rip Peavey logo off
Realize you bought a good amp and regret ripping "Peavey" off amp
Cry in shame
???
Profit!!!
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Hey Bud, They sold millions of them, I had many amps in my years of playing from tube to ss and modeling amps.I have the spider III 150 watts head and half stack. These amps, the great spiders are not only amazing but very versatile and no pedals.I totally suggest you one of them like the 30 watts and 12 inchs speaker. You will probably make some people very jealous, especially on this forum, some are so tight on the exit way that they believe that the spider amps are evil.....
Quote by Juared
Idea!

Buy a Peavey amp despite the fact that you dislike them for no actual reason

Do I really need a reason for disliking a specific brand? Now I haven't played one, and I will, but I do have a few pre-concieved ideas about what they sound like. So you win. I will tell you what I have against peavy.

1. my friend had a peavy Vyper and it sounded even worse than my Marshall. And he was using a distortion pedal, and I wasn't.
2. I don't really know why, but for some reason I am under the impression that a peavy is similar to a line 6 spider, but less digital and less bassy.
3. Everybody just worships those things (this thread proved it). I just have a natural tendency to avoid things that everybody worships (Gibson, Telecasters, Peavy 6505s).
4. they are very common, right up there with Marshall and Line 6. I prefer lesser known stuff just for the fact fewer people have them.

Quote by slackadjuster
Hey Bud, They sold millions of them, I had many amps in my years of playing from tube to ss and modeling amps.I have the spider III 150 watts head and half stack. These amps, the great spiders are not only amazing but very versatile and no pedals.I totally suggest you one of them like the 30 watts and 12 inchs speaker. You will probably make some people very jealous, especially on this forum, some are so tight on the exit way that they believe that the spider amps are evil.....

I always thought that spiders were good amps. But a lot of people on this forum won't accept anything that isn't the very best (in their minds). Now that I know that all these type people hate them, I just want to get one all the more.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Quote by thrashdeth
Do I really need a reason for disliking a specific brand? Now I haven't played one, and I will, but I do have a few pre-concieved ideas about what they sound like. So you win. I will tell you what I have against peavy.

1. my friend had a peavy Vyper and it sounded even worse than my Marshall. And he was using a distortion pedal, and I wasn't.

Yes, a bottom of the line solid state amp being driven with a distortion pedal is totally what their higher-end all-tube amplifiers will sound like.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Yes, a bottom of the line solid state amp being driven with a distortion pedal is totally what their higher-end all-tube amplifiers will sound like.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's a Marshall MG.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Believe the MG qualifies for bottom of the line solid state
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by thrashdeth

2. I don't really know why, but for some reason I am under the impression that a peavy is similar to a line 6 spider, but less digital and less bassy.
3. Everybody just worships those things (this thread proved it). I just have a natural tendency to avoid things that everybody worships (Gibson, Telecasters, Peavy 6505s).
4. they are very common, right up there with Marshall and Line 6. I prefer lesser known stuff just for the fact fewer people have them.

I always thought that spiders were good amps. But a lot of people on this forum won't accept anything that isn't the very best (in their minds). Now that I know that all these type people hate them, I just want to get one all the more.

For what your asking for a peavey vyper is perfect. Its a good price, has good distortion without a pedal, has good volume with a drummer and other guitarists, has plenty of effects, and the only issue is with the name.

I dont know why your friend was running a distortion pedal through an amp that has perfectly good distortion on it anyway.
Peavey Vypyrs are very similar to Line6 Spiders since they are both modeling amps. You should expect that.
Your issue with the amps popularity is laughable.

You can make the decision to pick a less popular amp that isnt as good or you can pick the amp that acheives the sound you want and disregard its popularity.

Spiders are fine but since Ive played them both I will tell you that I think Vypyrs are better. They produce better sound, they have better effects that have a greater threshold of control, the sond is significantly more "sculptable" than on a spider, and the amp modeling sound superior on a vypyr.

Take this for what its worth however, because your the one wsho has to play the amp.
Maybe if you sat down for a few hours with each you could decide for yourself.
Quote by thrashdeth

Here's the thing, and I'm speaking as someone who used to own one: It's not that the spider's aren't the very best, and it's certainly not that we can't accept anything less than the best - although AcousticMirror would probably argue that point. The problem we have with the spiders isn't that they aren't the best. You've got people recommending the Vox VT series, which also isn't the best modeling amp for high gain (IMO). The problem with the spiders specifically is simplythat they are flat out bad. They are overpriced, shrill, and a colossal waste of space. The biggest regret I have as far as gear goes is that I allowed one of them to clutter up my basement for 8 months before I realized how bad it was. You can go ahead and buy it, but odds are you'll have it for a few months before realizing just how big a mistake you made. There are better amps for less money, and we're trying to help you.

EDIT: To be clear, it took me four months to realize that the thing sucked, and another four to find anyone who was willing to buy it.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Nov 7, 2011,
Quote by thrashdeth

In response to your numbered points:

1. Using distortion pedals through modeling amps is a horrible idea. Never, EVER do that. There's the problem.

2. You've apparently never played one, so being "under the impression" that two amps are similar without having played one or having heard one being misused (see point 1.) is ridiculous.

3. We don't worship things without reason. Look at the Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo. That pedal is one of the best delay pedals, if not the best, in most of our opinions. Listen to demos of it. We don't like it for no reason.

4. Oh god, I don't know where to start. See point 3. Why do you think Vypyr's are so popular? Because they're the better of modeling amps. Avoiding popular brands because they're popular is just ludicrous.

Seriously. You clearly haven't shown a reason besides "they're too mainstream."

I think you lost these.

Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Juared basically said what I was going to say, but less angrily

Basically, there's a reason that certain amps are popular and everywhere. It's because they are GOOD.

If you want a lesser known brand, just know that it's undoubtedly going to be a piece of shit in your price range.

Your friend is dumb. Anyone who uses a distortion pedal into a Vypyr is dumb. The onboard amp models are fantastic.

Spiders aren't good amps. They're just not. Completely beside the fact that they aren't good compared to other modelers, they just straight up aren't good, period.

Unless you're going for Dimebag tone. Then get a Spider.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
so u dont like peavey because of the logo.... dude they have some of the best amps on budget buy it and pry that mother fraking logo off
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Whole lotta' stupid in here.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah, TS, peavey is your ONLY option that I, and, as has been proved here, most anyone can think of. If you want cheap, non-crappy tone with metal distortion, it is down to peavey. 300 aint squat. I understand your lack of cash, Ive been in a similar spot. As far as the spider goes, it is regarded as a bad amp. I don't like them. My friend has been trying to sell his for THREE YEARS. He hasn't had one offer over 75 bucks in that time, and He has the half stack. It is better than no name brands and the amps you get with target or wal mart starter packs, but that may be where it ends, though some would debate it is better than the mg. I like my vypyr. If you spend any amount of time past a minute you WILL find at least one tone you like. If you are satisfied with a spider, by all means get it. I think you will find you wasted cash on it later, but I may be wrong.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Juared

Avoiding popular brands because they're popular is just ludicrous.

Seriously. You clearly haven't shown a reason besides "they're too mainstream."

I think you lost these.

I'm not sure you thought this out before you posted it. I own a Marshall, how much more mainstream can you get? And why do feel like you have to defend the vyper? I said I'd try it out, I think I said it multiple times. I'm going to give the vyper a go. Did I not make that clear? Well let me make that clear. I'm definitely trying out the vyper and the spider and I might even buy one of them. Why can't you leave it at that? Why do you feel the need to defend yore personal preference even after I said I would give it a shot?

You also seemed to have missed that I don't really need a reason for disliking a specific brand for any reason. It's as good as you say, then the amp will change my mind for me. And that's happened before. I'm not hell bent on not owning a peavy, I just thought I'd try out something else first, until I got hit by the Peavy Elitist Association.

Juared basically said what I was going to say, but less angrily Basically, there's a reason that certain amps are popular and everywhere. It's because they are GOOD. If you want a lesser known brand, just know that it's undoubtedly going to be a piece of shit in your price range.

I appreciate you voicing yore opinion less angrily, why can't everybody else do that?
While MOST lesser known brands are going to be S***, not all of them are. There's usually one or two out there that are excellent. That's why I'm asking.

Quote by Diamond Dave

Quote by thrashdeth

ur kidding right?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by thrashdeth
I'm not sure you thought this out before you posted it. I own a Marshall, how much more mainstream can you get? And why do feel like you have to defend the vyper? I said I'd try it out, I think I said it multiple times. I'm going to give the vyper a go. Did I not make that clear? Well let me make that clear. I'm definitely trying out the vyper and the spider and I might even buy one of them. Why can't you leave it at that? Why do you feel the need to defend yore personal preference even after I said I would give it a shot?

You also seemed to have missed that I don't really need a reason for disliking a specific brand for any reason. It's as good as you say, then the amp will change my mind for me. And that's happened before. I'm not hell bent on not owning a peavy, I just thought I'd try out something else first, until I got hit by the Peavy Elitist Association.

I appreciate you voicing yore opinion less angrily, why can't everybody else do that?
While MOST lesser known brands are going to be S***, not all of them are. There's usually one or two out there that are excellent. That's why I'm asking.

Okay, first off, you said you would keep saving up so you wouldn't have to resort to a decent amp after you stated your open-mindedness towards Vypyrs. You seem to still be negative towards them, but I'll just drop it. This point is getting nowhere fast. Forget that.

Also, I'm defending my personal preference because I had a Line 6 and a Vypyr in the past, so I have experience and would rather my opinion was swayed by someone who has had no experience with either of them.

You very well should have a reason to dislike something. If you did, I wouldn't be writing this post. Let's say you had one for a couple months and decided you didn't like the cleans in it. That would be a valid excuse to not like them. However, not liking the name isn't valid. Again, I won't keep arguing about this. This is basically I said in the first couple sentences of my reply. Just a tip: don't call us the "Peavey Elitist Association" or whatever. It's not helping.

I don't know if you were talking to me or Offworld92, because Offworld stated that he was going to post basically what I said, just more angrily.

The Dimebag tone thing was a joke. Don't even bother with Line 6 amps. The cleans scream "sterile" and the distortion is also a joke, as Line 6 thought it would be a good prank to put as obnoxious of distortion in their Spider amps as possible. But then again, I guess you should experience one for yourself.

There's a reason why lesser-known brands are lesser-known. If amp-making greats like Vox, Mesa, etc. weren't popular, it would probably be because their amps were apparently not good. But since they're popular brands for their excellence, that's why they're popular. You're better off getting a well-known amp then diving headfirst into uncharted waters, going after a no-name brand that isn't well-known for a very good reason.

Again, I'd like to recommend a Vypyr.
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
Quote by thrashdeth
I own a amp with the Marshall name on it.

Fixed.

Seriously dude, just get over yourself, save up a few hundred more dollars, and buy yourself a nice Peavey 6505/5150. It will pretty much do anything you want it to for your style of music.
I pride myself on my humility.
^Or save that few hundred and buy the Ultra for less than his budget and sound somewhat unique.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
^Or get a Spider for those delicious Dimebag toanz
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
Page 1 of 2