So I was playing around on my acoustic guitar today and I found a sound I really liked, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm playing.
The best way I can describe it is C minor with a raised third (which is completely contradictory...), or C major with a lowered sixth and seventh (and sometimes I'd play it with just the lowered sixth). I'd play something like this...
(Drop C tuning)
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
F|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
C|---4~----4-5-7-8~---10-8-7--5-4--2/4-----------------------------|
G|--------------------------0~---------------------------------------------|
C|---0~----0~----0~-------------0~------------------------------------|

and I just kept messing with that general idea.
Is this actually a key/mode, or is it just me playing with accidentals?
I haven't analysed the actual notes you're playing, but a major scale with a flat 6 and 7 would generally be called a Mixolydian b6.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I transcribed it in standard tuning on my guitar, just to save hassle really. Of course, the tone is going to be different, but the tonality will remain.

When play through the idea through, it resolves to C Major. Which makes sense, because the first 2 notes you play are C and E.

So yes, you're just playing with accidentals.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 5, 2011,
Looks an awful lot like F melodic minor. Especially when you take the bass line into account.

See if it doesnt resolve well to an Fmin chord
Quote by Johnny Ketlo
C phrygian dominant with a raised second.

wat

Believe me OP, its F melodic minor
Last edited by chantastic at Nov 5, 2011,
Quote by chantastic
wat

Believe me OP, its F melodic minor

F melodic minor is not a key
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Yup it is F melodic minor. I leaned toward C phrygian dominant with an altered second because of the strong tonal pull of the bass line.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
The tonic sounds like C to me.

I agree with you Jesse. The bass line does a I - V - I
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
The tonic sounds like C to me.

This. Ending it on an Fm just sounds odd to me.
I did try playing the notes I was playing as if it was a scale, and beginning it on a different note within the "scale" each time (for example, playing from E to E in the key of C with a Bb and Ab) to see if it would resolve to anything other than a C, and it just didn't work the same. It resolves to C, but less to C major and more to just a C5 chord, implying that it's not really major at all. and it really Sounds minor when I end it on an open C5, despite the major 3rd that I used.

As I look up more about it around the web, Mixolydian b6 makes a lot of sense, and definitely sounds right. One website I found shows C Mixolydian b6 as the exact notes I was playing. I think this is the answer I was looking for.

...but I had no idea there were "modes" based off of the melodic minor scale. Are there more "modes" off the harmonic minor scale?
Quote by =(Cody=)
...but I had no idea there were "modes" based off of the melodic minor scale. Are there more "modes" off the harmonic minor scale?

Yep. They're just not very commonly used, much like the melodic minor modes.
Yeah this is C mixolydian b6, 5th mode of F melodic minor.
What you're doing in playing those notes with the C pedal is pretty common in Indian music.
(Mixo b6 is also known as the hindu scale!)

Indian classical music doesn't have a really developed concept of harmony, so you inevitably improvise within the raga over drones from the I (tonic) or sometimes the IV.
Tickle me.