I want to be a songwriter. The problem is i can't do it. And it's not just music, but also lyrics too. I see people who can write music but not lyrics, and people who can write lyrics and not music, but i seem to be the only one who can't do both. I'll sit down with my acoustic and try to come up with a good melody or chord progression, or come up with some cool riff on my electric, and i can't do it. I can't come up with one line of lyrics, and if i ever do, i end up balling up the paper i wrote it down on and destroying it in any was possible to avoid embarrassment. What do i do? I'm really desperate for help here.
Calm down,bro!
You must be unusually happy or mad etc.
So use you emotions to write and just write anything and go take a nap.
And when you get up you'll se it's not that bad so you just need to write melody what is preety easy cuz you use tones you can reach or your band singer can and that's it.

Try this you'll see it's going to work.
How often have we chased the dream of progress, only to see that dream perverted?
More often than not, haven't the machines we built to improve life shattered the lives of millions?
And now we want to turn that dream on ourselves, to fundamentally improve who we are.
Experience has shown me how dangerous that can be.
I'm more of a music writer, lyrics really don't come easily. Try reading more, just be more confident with whatever you come up with. Try making a list of song titles, or things you want to write about. Sometimes it's easier writing with another person so get a buddy and jam.
сопляк!!
I am a lyrics writer and I'll tell you, one thing that I do is that I write a poem, I worry about the melody and the rest of it later.
I'm terrible at lyrics too, but I remember one bit of advice I got being that you should always try and compress what you want to say into as few words as possible each time. I find that leads to more words in the long run!
I find the best thing to do is to read a little more or listen to the artists you like, and read about their song meanings and lyric interpretations online. If you have an idea for a lyric, even a single sentence, write it down; Make sence or not, just write it down and save it. Eventually you'll come to a muse and start writing
just keep at it, man! the songs you hear by bands are usually not their first few songs. most people are just good at it from the beginning. some are, of course, but many are not.
take in everything. read a lot. novels, poetry, cook books, car manuals. literally anything with words. different kinds of stuff.
and listen to different kinds of music. I don't know what kind of music you're into, but branch out! not only will you find stuff that you'll probably love, but you'll see how other kinds of music write their songs. listen to instrumental stuff, even. something about jazz makes me want to write.
but the important thing is to keep going!
I believe in you.
Quote by Jearl
just keep at it, man! the songs you hear by bands are usually not their first few songs. most people are just good at it from the beginning. some are, of course, but many are not.
take in everything. read a lot. novels, poetry, cook books, car manuals. literally anything with words. different kinds of stuff.
and listen to different kinds of music. I don't know what kind of music you're into, but branch out! not only will you find stuff that you'll probably love, but you'll see how other kinds of music write their songs. listen to instrumental stuff, even. something about jazz makes me want to write.
but the important thing is to keep going!
I believe in you.

I like this guy .
Quote by Viban
I am a lyrics writer and I'll tell you, one thing that I do is that I write a poem, I worry about the melody and the rest of it later.

I don't believe that one can be entitled to a "lyricist", but I have to agree. Normally I'll get random thoughts/lyrics in my head, so I'll type them into my iPhone. Later I will write them on paper and see what I can add to it.

Most true advice someone gave to me was that the best writing comes from what you've been through. Next time your girlfriend leaves you or something exciting happens in your life, write about it.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
Quote by Svennson
I like this guy .

thanks, man!

also, Brando makes a good point. if you think of something, get it down as soon as you can! if you're anything like me, you will forget it if you don't write it down right away. I can't tell you how many good ideas I've had just as I'm about to fall asleep and said "oh, that's good, I'll write it down in the morning." nope.
Quote by gman128
is this for real?
Maybe you just arent a creative person

everyone is creative that is a scientific fact.

Come up with ideas, or an irony in life.

And write a song complaining or explaining it only by alluding to it. The melody is what is important.

It can be as simple as this, I'll come up with it now
Emin Cmaj7
Light is invisible, but makes all things visible
Bmin D7 G
Darkness is trivial, who's that coming sight is trivia.

Try that with and Emin, Bmin And Cmaj7 and D7

-----------------

I got that idea by thinking the first thing I saw and what it does, and it will always be intrinsically Ironic because nothing is inherently meaningful.
Learn other peoples work and listen to songs with meaningful lyrics, usually alt rock, folk or jazz. Metal or Classick rock and be too, but those songs are based around phrases and statements not narratives or memoirs.
Quote by SamuraiSeven
Learn other peoples work and listen to songs with meaningful lyrics, usually alt rock, folk or jazz. Metal or Classick rock and be too, but those songs are based around phrases and statements not narratives or memoirs.

I agree with this. Another thing I would say is that you should use your frustration with your failed attempt at songwriting and turn it around and turn it into a song about your frustration! I find that once you get the ball rolling with one or two good songs, you will begin writing better!
I am no writer of music, but I do see myself as a pretty good lyrics writer and the advice i would give is to go somewhere interesting, sit, and do nothing. Just let sights, sounds, smells, feelings, etc hit you. Don't write any of it down, allow yourself to decompress for a day or so and see what stuck. These images, descriptors, and ideas will be the best ones and you should be able to write a song around some of the more powerful language.
How long have you been writing out of curiosity?

Anyway best tips I can give is get a recording device and keep it on you at all times. Know those lines that pop into your head or little melodies? get them recorded. Writing's hard enough and that's your brain throwing you a bone so capture it.

Write what you know about - Black Francis writes some weird lyrics but they fit the music perfectly and in my opinion is one of the best lyricists around.

Read, learn about meter and do one at a time. Sting said he starts with a title, then does the music for the verse, records it. Then puts a melody over the verse. Then the music to the chorus. Then the lyrics to it. Maybe expecting both at once is asking too much.

I tend to get a little bit of both but then one comes easier than the other. Lyrics seem to come at night.
Write down stuff as you go to sleep, or just when you wake up. I think you are trying too hard.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by clw550235
I want to be a songwriter. The problem is i can't do it. And it's not just music, but also lyrics too. I see people who can write music but not lyrics, and people who can write lyrics and not music, but i seem to be the only one who can't do both. I'll sit down with my acoustic and try to come up with a good melody or chord progression, or come up with some cool riff on my electric, and i can't do it. I can't come up with one line of lyrics, and if i ever do, i end up balling up the paper i wrote it down on and destroying it in any was possible to avoid embarrassment. What do i do? I'm really desperate for help here.

Become an insanely good lead guitarist and then make your rhythm guitarist write everything for you
like Kirk Hammett only better
OH HELL YES METALCORE
Last edited by EyeForgot at Jan 10, 2012,
Alternately, if you like Metal you can just yell random things and no one will hold it against you

this is not sarcastic, i do this sometimes lol
OH HELL YES METALCORE
You seem to be trying too hard. Songs creep up on you when you're not looking, you need to just let it happen naturally. It may take a long time, but eventually it will happen
Let me guess, you're not a native speaker of the english language and you want to wright your lyrics in english.

Am I right?