I just bought my first tube amp head last week its a Peavey Valveking 100w and i bought it used off of craigslist, the amp sounds great and everything theres just a few things im worried about. My first concern is that the tubes flash blue when i play with high gain, I don't know if this is normal but another guitarist i know claimed that blue tubes indicate that they need to be changed. The other thing i was worried about is that the other day i had my cab in a sound proofed room and my amp head outside with the door closed so i could crank it up and not damage my hearing. I noticed that the amp head its self was making hissing sounds. The hissing sounds weren't constant they only happened when i was playing and the hissing got louder as i cranked the volume up. I was also using a boss metalcore pedal(can't afford a tube scream yet) with the gain almost maxed out so that could be a contributing factor. I thought maybe this is normal for tube amps and you just can't hear it over the sound of the cab. Can someone please tell me if there is any problem or if i'm just worrying myself?
Well, the noise you are hearing is probably the tubes becoming microphonic. You'll have to swap em out for new ones for that to go away.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
I cant help you with most of that, but if the tube pulses blue when your playing heavy through it is normal, whereas a purple tube when idling means its on its way out.
Quote by Bryc3e
Well, the noise you are hearing is probably the tubes becoming microphonic. You'll have to swap em out for new ones for that to go away.

Alright thanks man I can deal with a retube i was just hoping it wasn't anything worse than that
The blue colour is from impurities on the plate itself. Some tubes do it and some don't. The only colour you really have to worry about is red - OR if they suddenly change colour. A change in colour from one day to the next (not with different volumes/gain) is indicative of a loss of vacuum and the thing is about to turn up its toes and join the choir invisible.
You should always have spare tubes. A full set of power tubes and at least one spare preamp tube. If you think a tube is failing you plug in your spares and then you know immediately. It aint rocket science. Go buy some spares.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification