Ok guys, I'm having to downsize my rig and the first thing to go is my head and cab. Selling these I will have about £400/£500 to play around with and I'm going to buy a new guitar! (an amplifier has pretty much been sorted. Blackstar HT-5

Now I have been toying with the idea of buying a seven string, but I'm not sure what I'd have as options (new or second hand) in that price bracket. I've seen the BC Rich JR V7 which looks nice but infomation about that guitar is really sparse and I've never seen one second hand.

So could anyone help me?

Six strings could be offered to help aswell, seeing as I'd like a new guitar for me to take to College.

So that means.

Sensible shape (but pointy can also do, just means buying a case)
24 frets
versatile
I don't mind either a FR or without but without would be better

So if anyone can help me out I'd appriciate it!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Ibanez RGA121.

Go 2nd hand and then buy some nice pups.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
That's the trick really because I used to love Ibanez but now everyone I've tried seems small in my hands and doesn't sound that grat (hence the sale of mine)
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Over the summer I bought a mint condition PRS SE Custom 24 for £350 and it's superb. It's incredibly versatile, is a sensible shape, easy to play well, has 24 frets and upper fret access that rivals my neck-thru guitar. I love my Jackson but if I could only use one guitar to do everything really well, it would be my PRS.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I'll look at those.

In a sense I've always wanted a seven string because I feel like my writings been limited by a six string and the seven would open up more chord progressions, placements and a bigger range, so I'm still opting to go for one of those as my main choice.

But, I can't really think of any seven strings that are in my budget (new or used) cause I'm not really a seven string buff.

If anyone can help that would be awesome.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-h-208/53438

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rga7-bk/30858

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg7321/3382

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/schecter-omen-8-walnut-satin/52064

I guess these are options but frankly I'd still go with the PRS. Some of the greatest guitarists and musicians in history have coped just fine with only 6 strings so you should be able to make it work.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-h-208/53438

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rga7-bk/30858

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg7321/3382

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/schecter-omen-8-walnut-satin/52064

I guess these are options but frankly I'd still go with the PRS. Some of the greatest guitarists and musicians in history have coped just fine with only 6 strings so you should be able to make it work.

Aye, true.

What about seven hand sevens?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Look around for a used seven. If ya can't, check out Agile over at rondo music, but we all know I'm gonna get ganged for mentioning Agile, and since there's no option of try-before-you-buy, you probably won't even consider. Plus shipping's a bitch outside of the US. =/

So, look for used sevens, but don't be turned off to a GOOD six string. A lousy 7 gives you one extra string to hate, a great six gives you six strings to love. In the 6 string range, and considering you're in the UK, I second a PRS SE. Much smoother than an Ibanez, I've owned a few ibbys. that PRS will be much more available where you're at, and play so damn smooth you won't care it's only got 6.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Been considering Agiles. But with shipping and customs duty I'd be unsure. Plus I wouldn't be able to send it back if it got broke.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Yeah, I can understand that shying you away from em. I love mine but in the off chance you wind up with a lemon, you're screwed six ways to september. Not cool. tbh, it's a risk I probably wouldn't take. I'm stateside so if mine wound up messed up from shipping or defective, I could've sent it back. Also I don't know exactly where they ship from but if it comes to the US for inspection before being sent off, then it may end up being sent overseas twice in your case. The longer it's in the hands of postmen, the more grim the future looks for you.

Do your research on the features it is you want in a guitar, such as neck profile (thin, fat, whatever), wood construction (i.e. I turn into a little fangirl every time I see a birdseye maple fretboard), pickups, and so forth. Then just browse around for a reliable brand that's got the features you're looking for.

Oh, and I'd highly advise you stay away from B.C.Rich. While their much higher end guitars may be worth a play, the other 80% of their products are barely fit for firewood. I've had one and had to fix a lot more than one. Last time I had to open up a bronze warlock, I gave up outright. POS is still upstairs collecting dust and this was two years ago. I'd also advise against Dean guitars. BCRich = obsessed with image. Dean = obsessed with sponsors. Neither are interested in product quality.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
But aren't the QC issues with BC Rich only below a specific price point?

Cause I've read nothing but good things about the JR 7 V (from SS.org)
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
A lousy 7 gives you one extra string to hate, a great six gives you six strings to love.QUOTE]

There's one hell of a lot of truth in this!!

The PRS really is the best aspects of a number of guitars in my opinion. I find it light and easy to handle like a Strat while also having the thick, dark tone of a Les Paul. The neck is thin enough for speed but chunky enough so it's comfortable. The neck also has a radius that is big enough for a low action but small enough to be comfortable. What's more, the shape and construction of the guitar gives you upper fret access that's not far off being as good as my neck-thru Soloist without having the additional expense. The trem may not do divebombs but it has great tuning stability and has the smoothest action of any trem I've ever used. The Fender system and even my OFR feel quite crude in comparison. That's a hell of a lot of guitar for something that you can buy new inside your budget at the moment!

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/prs-25th-anniversary-se-custom-24-scarlet-red/32502
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Wow. Just looked it up, I'm actually surprised. That's new, lol. Mahogany body, neck through, maple neck, ebony fretboard, Original Floyd, only thing I would change are those pickups. I'm not a fan of the BDSM'sl. They're okay, I've definitely heard worse, but they're far from top of the line. everything else on it looks very sound. My past experiences with BC Rich were pretty much very cool looking guitar, very mediocre playing guitar. But I also never sank $700 on one.

edit:: @Doadman - Can't do dive bombs? I beg to differ Remember those purple burst Paul Allender (Cradle of Filth) signature SE's with the bat inlays and gold hardware? Now you can only find em in some ugly red or alright green? My local GC had one in stock for a few months. Every time I went in there I sat on that bad mamma jamma for at least half an hour before being dragged outta store by pissed off bored mother who's really, REALLY trying not to get swindled into getting me it. Now my gf's on the hunt for one for me, it's got locking tuners but no stringlocks at the nut. I saw that, and saw whammy bar. Hm, whammy bar, no stringlocks. Lets **** this up And yet the damn thing, no matter how unholy I got on that wigglestick, would not fall out of tune! To this day I still don't get how locking tuners were able to do that. Listen to Dream Theater - These Walls. The intro, that's what I was doing. Stayed in perfect tune.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Last edited by Ishiga at Nov 6, 2011,
I'd have to play one of those and see what I think.

I just feel that a trem that can do Divebombs would suit me better. Just a preferance thing, that's all.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Ishiga
Wow. Just looked it up, I'm actually surprised. That's new, lol. Mahogany body, neck through, maple neck, ebony fretboard, Original Floyd, only thing I would change are those pickups. I'm not a fan of the BDSM'sl. They're okay, I've definitely heard worse, but they're far from top of the line. everything else on it looks very sound. My past experiences with BC Rich were pretty much very cool looking guitar, very mediocre playing guitar. But I also never sank $700 on one.

If I bought one I'd change the pups too.

Prolly stick some Dimarzio's in there.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'd recommend Seymour Duncans, but whatever floats your boat. =P Look up to the edited post about the dive bombs, you might wanna reconsider. Definitely try before you buy though if you're able. if not, well, hell. PRS has a much better reputation than most other companies these days. Much better quality control.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
I used to think that but in reality, unless you get an OFR, most locking trems are crap and a guitar with an OFR is quite expensive or they cut costs (and quality) elsewhere. On balance, you're probably better investing in a quality guitar and a Digitech Whammy pedal for divebombs. Best of both worlds.

EDIT: When I mentioned the inability to do divebombs, I was talking specifically about the PRS SE Custom 24.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by Ishiga
I'd recommend Seymour Duncans, but whatever floats your boat. =P Look up to the edited post about the dive bombs, you might wanna reconsider. Definitely try before you buy though if you're able. if not, well, hell. PRS has a much better reputation than most other companies these days. Much better quality control.

True, I've never seen a JR V 7 in a shop though :-(
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'm about as anti-tremolo as it gets. To this day I still can't divebomb for squat seeing as I sold my RR4, it had an LFR. LFR = NO. GOD NO. ****ing thing had me finish a gig on only my top string since my 5th was gone and I wasn't going to spend more than half a song off stage re-stringing while our other guitarist filled in for us both. Bad night. x_X But back to the point, I do NOT like tremolos. Except for the one on that paul allender. @_@ It was made in heaven; or hell depending on how you play, but I like shiny stuff and clouds better than old man farts, so heaven it is for me. Ive played some where I've taken the arm off and still managed to fall out of tune while I'm playing after 5 minutes. Have not had good experiences with trems, I'm a fixed bridge guy.

except for that god. damn. paul allender sig. Haven't tried any of their other models with a trem so I can't speak for all of em. Just that one, that one...
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
PRS has a much better reputation than most other companies these days. Much better quality control.

You can buy the PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary Edition (the one I've got) brand new for £450 at the moment and the quality of both the build and the quality control is AT LEAST as good as on my Jackson, which cost twice as much. What's more, the Seymour Duncan JB and Hotrails pickups that came in the Jackson were so crap that I spent a further £250 installing Bareknuckle pickups, which are vastly superior. I'll never touch SD pickups again. The stock pups in the PRS are really surprisingly good and while Bareknuckle are a lot better, I don't feel the same need to upgrade. That's quite something on a guitar costing £450!
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Nov 6, 2011,
Quote by Fisheth24
True, I've never seen a JR V 7 in a shop though :-(

Judging from the specs, provided your purchase comes with a manufacturers warranty, you should be alright taking a leap of faith there but that's just my outlook on it. In theory, it looks like a solid built guitar. They chose a good resonant wood for the body and neck, very smart move going with an OFR and instead of licensed. Imagewise, very attractive, but V's are tough to get used to playing sitting down so keep that in mind too. Really your sound comes down to a few aspects:

Tonewood quality.
Construction quality. (my old bc rich was cheap, avenged son of beast, but it never fell apart on me whatsoever. didnt sound great but didnt break either.)
Pickups. (if you end up replacing em then this part doesnt matter at all.
Playing ability.

Tonewood, they chose right. Construction, seems to be alright as long as its got a warranty on it. Pickups, you seem to have that covered. Playing ability, that's all you =P

So all in all it gets my seal of approval, but I still really, REALLY dig the PRS line.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
Judging from the specs, provided your purchase comes with a manufacturers warranty, you should be alright taking a leap of faith there but that's just my outlook on it. In theory, it looks like a solid built guitar. They chose a good resonant wood for the body and neck, very smart move going with an OFR and instead of licensed. Imagewise, very attractive, but V's are tough to get used to playing sitting down so keep that in mind too. Really your sound comes down to a few aspects:

Tonewood quality.
Construction quality. (my old bc rich was cheap, avenged son of beast, but it never fell apart on me whatsoever. didnt sound great but didnt break either.)
Pickups. (if you end up replacing em then this part doesnt matter at all.
Playing ability.

Tonewood, they chose right. Construction, seems to be alright as long as its got a warranty on it. Pickups, you seem to have that covered. Playing ability, that's all you =P

So all in all it gets my seal of approval, but I still really, REALLY dig the PRS line.

And if I didn't like it I could send it back?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Doadman
You can buy the PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary Edition (the one I've got) brand new for £450 at the moment and the quality of both the build and the quality control is AT LEAST as good as on my Jackson, which cost twice as much. What's more, the Seymour Duncan JB and Hotrails pickups that came in the Jackson were so crap that I spent a further £250 installing Bareknuckle pickups, which are vastly superior. I'll never touch SD pickups again. The stock pups in the PRS are really surprisingly good and while Bareknuckle are a lot better, I don't feel the same need to upgrade. That's quite something on a guitar costing £450!

Personally I liked my SD's on my old Jackson, but to each his own. Never tried bareknuckles so I can't speak for em, I'm using a pair of Alnico 2s right now, gibby knockoff (agile). I know not a damn thing of solder, and even less of income so not much I can do about that. They work well enough for me and my amp's crap so it's not like godly pickups would make much of a difference anyway. Either way, on subject, I've never played a lousy PRS. I've played a terrible Gibson, Epiphone, Squire, Ibanez, Schecter, BC Rich, and although I've never played em I know Jackson does make a cheapass craptar, I've played numerous horrible quality Deans, but not once have I ever played a bad PRS. Only two other manufacturers (excluding the lesser known and even lesser played Agile) that I can honestly that about are Fender, and Jay Turser. Jay Turser, I've only played one of their guitars but good god, smoother than butter. That's where I met my one true love: Birdseye maple. Feels like freshly buffed porcelain, just the perfect balance between slide and grip. Effortless.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Fisheth24
And if I didn't like it I could send it back?

That would depend entirely on where you bought it from. Thats the beauty though of bigass retail dealerships: Unless you're paying a retarded sum of cash for a guitar, most of the time they'll give you something along the lines of a 30 day satisfaction warranty, where from the time of purchase you got 30 days to try it out and if you don't like it, full refund. Some places will get you with in store credit refund but if they've got a secondary backup guitar you like, then that works out anyway. Again me being stateside I don't really know what's available to you guys in the UK, so that much I can't really help you with but if there are any big dealerships around, whether locally based or via bigass website, do some looking around for warranty info.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/b.c.-rich-exotic-pro-jrv-electric-guitar/584465000954074

$100 more than the one you listed, but already has Rockfield Mafia pickups, I've heard very good things about said pickups. Plus that spalted maple is neato. Thats personal preference but I find spalted maple to stand out from the crowd much better than stained finishes.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
It looks ok, but I'm really digging the purple on the V I listed though ^^
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Lol I hear ya. My LP's blue, I can't pretend like fancy colors didn't sell me on that one, lmao. Still, it's not like I regret it in the slightest. =P Gotta look good when ya sound good. Otherwise you'd be Devin Townsend and I don't think the world can handle another one of those. Well I'ma go shower and go get some groceries, we're out of coffee =_= Hope I helped ya out at least a little bit in being better informed on your decision, it's hard to choose when you actually have the opportunity to get a new guitar. I'm always drooling over guitars I want to start saving for, but never have the money to even start. It's a whole different ballpark when you've actually got funds. Think it over carefully and don't give in to impulses, do your homework. =P Later.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.